Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

cheddite 209 primers

Discussion in 'Ammunition Wanted' started by krivey, Jul 26, 2013.

1. krivey

krivey mcminnville oregon Active Member

I am looking for a couple hundred cheddite 209 primers. I was told that cheddite 410 hulls need cheddite primers. I don't know where to look for them, I have never seen them before.

2. krivey

Anyone? At least point me in the right direction?

3. DaBearsOregon

DaBearsOregon Oregon City New Member

Gamaliel Shooting Supply : 209 Shotgun Primers

I'm not sure where to find them locally, but Sportsman's on 82nd had CCI & Winchester 209 primers last Thurs. I would think that the CCI could be sub'ed since they are close in "power". What type of powder are you reloading with? What is your recipe for the 410?

4. krivey

Haven't decided on powder load yet. I just read that the cheddite hulls have an ever so slightly larger primer pocket that american primers are a little too small for. I can give it a try with win primers to see if they fit snug, bit I am not the adventurous type when it comes to shot shell loading. Don't want to end up with over pressure issues

5. DaBearsOregon

I'd start here: Alliant Powder - Reloader's Guide or here http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

Go by the gauge i.e. 12ga, then determine what type of hull(Cheddite)you are going to use. There is a breakdown of various recipes with the tested components, powder/primers/wads. My two cents worth- use a Remington Gun Club hull. You can find them at your local Trap Club on the ground and there are more component options for reloading. Hope this is helpful.

6. lcb97269

lcb97269 Milwaukie, OR Life Member Lifetime Supporter

7. krivey

I use Remington hulls for 12ga. But I already have a ton of cheddite 410 hulls that I would rather not waste. It should be just as easy to find and use cheddite primers, just can't find them locally.

8. DaBearsOregon

I'm tracking with you now...410. Look at the above link by Icb97269. The W209 is almost a even swap out on dimensions. Shouldn't have a issue. Bi-Mart and Sportsman's have recently had W209's in stock. I just reloaded some 410 with H110 last week. I'll check PGC tomorrow when I'm there. They on occasion sell Cheddites.

9. jhallfishin1

jhallfishin1 spanaway Member

connies components in chehalis

Connie's Components

ive got 10,000 of them but i live in tacoma which doesnt do you much good if they have them in stock they will ship

10. 308downrange

308downrange Outside of Eugene New Member

Graf & Sons on their web site says they are in stock

11. krivey

So, I tried seating a win209 in some Rio hulls ( same as cheddite, so I am told) and they are sloppy loose. I can pull them back out with my fingernail. According to the link from above, the size of the Rio primers is .004 larger than the cheddites and .006 larger than the winchester. Should I maybe look for Rio primers?

12. DaBearsOregon

I'm thinking Noble Sport or Fio/Rio primer? Some say you can use a pocket primer conditioner from BPI that will make the W209 work, but I have no experience with that. To me the Rio hull isn't worth the effort, that being said I cant find any AA 410 (new) shells to save my life so I'm stuck with the Rem 410 & reloading them. The Portland Gun Club said they have primers coming in soon.

Primers at Ballistic Products, Inc.

13. krivey

Well, I tried putting a 3/8" bolt into the hull and giving it a whack with a hammer and now the win209 seems to fit. So I went ahead and ordered a primer pocket conditioning tool which should do a little better job of not collapsing the primer pocket( I had 2 that I hit too hard). When I receive the tool I will post results.