JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If you're asking, then you probably want something other than mil spec.
In that case, then the BCM Gunfighter is the most popular step up.
I like the meduim latch.

Tha Radian Raptor ambi is getting popular.
My AR9 came with one and it's a good piece of kit.

If you just want mil spec, then get it from a reputable company like BCM

BCM Mod 0 is the medium sized one and the one I like too... they're made by Vltor.

HOWEVER... at $50+ I don't like em much more than a cheap milspec unit with a $10 YHM extended lever on it... all-in for under 20 bucks and a minute or two of work (installing the lever). Even less if you can find a buddy w a milspec CH that they'll just GIVE you... any self-respecting AR guy has at least one or two in their parts box...

Unfortunately, I've already used or given away all of my "take-offs" or I'd send you one for nuthin'...

BTW, unless you have a scope that encroaches on your CH's real estate or you like to palm the latch, a regular ol milspec handle will work just fine..

mil-spec with an extended latch.

That's what I run in most of my AR15s..one of the bunch doesn't have a charging handle (side charged)

20181218_110422.jpg
You can get the strike industries extended latches in red, blue, or black. Cheap way to improve a cheap milspec charging handle for use with a scope.

Bcm is good. They seem stronger than mil spec, and the latch has a nice positive grip to it.
I did just put a latchless charger on my 300blk pistol, it has a spring that engages the notch in the channel. Haven't shot it yet, but it seems to work well.

I do like some of the extended latches on aftermarket charge handles but prefer the shorter ones as I find the longer ones create a storage issue in tha safe.

I have a BCM mod 4 and the mod 44. My favorite by far has been the mod 44. If I find one of the Radian ambi handles under $50, I may entertain trying one. So far, i haven't been able to swallow the $90+ for the radian component.

These "AR"s you all speak of have a "charging handle"? Is that what you pull before you plug them in for the night?

:D

I tried the new BCM Mod 4, didn't like it. One can't hook it and go, the thumb must be placed on the back to allow the latch to release. Whomever came up with that design ought to be slapped.

Radian makes great model choices.

I tried the new BCM Mod 4, didn't like it. One can't hook it and go, the thumb must be placed on the back to allow the latch to release. Whomever came up with that design ought to be slapped.

Radian makes great model choices.

Can You elaborate? I run mod4s on both my guns. I can charge it with an open handed sweep if needed, though I usually use 2 fingers on the left side.

The original Mod 4 operated like the standard stock charging handle, like you mentioned...hand sweep or hook the latch with the fingers.

The BCM Mod 4B, to get the latch to unlock from the receiver I had to place my thumb on the back of the charging handle, apply some force forward as if pushing it in, then the latch would release.

I thought I obtained a faulty handle, but have since heard from others of having the same experience.

The original Mod 4 operated like the standard stock charging handle, like you mentioned...hand sweep or hook the latch with the fingers.

The BCM Mod 4B, to get the latch to unlock from the receiver I had to place my thumb on the back of the charging handle, apply some force forward as if pushing it in, then the latch would release.

I thought I obtained a faulty handle, but have since heard from others of having the same experience.

Well crap! I have 3 BCM mod4s. Was going to keep putting them on all my builds to standardize. Thanks for saving me $50!

I can't really stomach the prices asked for Radian and G handles, unless like 30-40% off on black Friday.

Will have to keep looking or just buy some milspec CHs for my basic bubblegum carbine builds.

I can't really stomach the prices asked for Radian and G handles, unless like 30-40% off on black Friday.
If you want to try a Radian at a nice discount...
Gun Deals > get the code > Sunny State Outdoors > get the Radian
They rotate models on sale.

There is a new lower cost LT model that uses polymer in the handle area.
I have both the standard and LT....they both rock.

Linky...
Search results for "radian raptor" | gun.deals

Last Edited:
If you want to try a Radian at a nice discount...
Gun Deals > get the code > Sunny State Outdoors > get the Radian
They rotate models on sale.

There is a new lower cost LT model that uses polymer in the handle area.
I have both the standard and LT....they both rock.

Linky...
Search results for "radian raptor" | gun.deals

Thanks buddy. LT seems OK on sale. Also Might pit up a couple milspec and wait for Geiselle ACH on sale, would be a similar cost.

:rolleyes:

Y'all realize the AR15 CH was originally designed to be primarily actuated using the thumb & forefinger of your "firing hand" in a "pinching" fashion while holding the weapon by the front hand guards with your "off hand", OR by using your "off hand" with the index and middle fingers in a "hooked" fashion while holding the pistol grip with your "firing hand"... in order to produce a smooth & straight rearward motion without the torsion produced by only pulling from one (of either) side of it, yeah?

I do however think those Radian Ambi's look cool, but $15 MILSPEC CH's have worked just fine for me since 1985.. ;)

:D:s0007:

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews