JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This bubblegume has to be made up because of the lack of true discrimination. That's cool. Give the land back to the heirs of the Lynch family. Hold your EASL classes in the middle of a strawberry field.

That's exactly what I was going to suggest - If the person who donated the land is offensive to you, even if it's only the name, then give the land back to them or their heirs. Done.

BTW from the article:

"There is no connection between the Lynch family and the practice associated with the term, he said, but it's still been "a disruption for some students.""​

Seems if only the educators would actually, ummm, educate there wouldn't be a problem. I wonder if the students will get a participation trophy for the name change?

3MTA3
It has been years, PERHAPS DECADES since Oregon's education system has INTENTIONALLY educated anyone. The system is firmly in the grip of teacher unions and serves as an indoctrination vehicle for them and the left wing politics of their union leadership!!!!!!

Sheldon

Sheldon, I wouldn't even say that.

The problem is class size and lack of separation based on knowledge base. It's a problem especially when you have high populations of EASL students, like ten in a class (welcome to Madison HS).
Then there are students who simply have had classes and teachers that left them well informed and are forced to practice the same lessons again simply because the rest of the class has not had that experience.
It's not "liberal" tin hat agenda, it's lack of individualized learning that has become the issue.

3MTA3
It has been years, PERHAPS DECADES since Oregon's education system has INTENTIONALLY educated anyone. The system is firmly in the grip of teacher unions and serves as an indoctrination vehicle for them and the left wing politics of their union leadership!!!!!!

Sheldon

I can believe that, and have heard from teachers that their hands are pretty much bound by rules they can't change. I went to college at age 30 in 1990 to get a technical degree. Since i'd been out of school for 12 years I knuckled down and studied so I would be a full speed before taking the entrance exam. I was accepted and then when class started I was shocked at how far behind me students that had just graduated High School were. These were all students who had focused on science and math, too. I can't imagine how far it's slipped since then.

Well, another issue with Oregon's education has to do with the federal government's surveyors in the early 19th century categorizing most of Oregon's timber lands as swamp land. Since timber was expensive and swamp land was pretty much useless, Oregon's lands were sold off for pennies an acre when it should have been dollars. This later harmed our revenue system as timber rights could not be sold off to help fund state programs, namely education. We're in debt because our state's resources were entirely privately held and no profit could be made from their use.
One could write a whole book about it, and a few people have, so I'll leave you with that.

Also, good luck learning about that without somebody who knows telling you. It's pretty well hidden history.

3MTA3

Sheldon

Have you personally known, currently know, many teachers? How many kids do have in (public) school now? I find it somewhat offensive to blame all teachers, and their unions, for everything. Parents, or lack of parents and parenting just might have something to do with it. No?

Mike
As a matter fact, and since you asked so nicely. I was born in La Grande in 1938 and graduated from high school here in 1956, as did my seven, count them, 7 kids. Six of my grandkids have also graduated from this high school. I have one grandson who is a junior this year. Thus, I have some knowledge about the subject!
I am woefully deficient in history, largely because coaches taught history and high school social studies. Indeed, we had some outstanding teachers in those days and you are correct, parents play a part. Parent-teacher conferences are attended mostly by parents of students who are getting parental support in their education.
I was on the school board in the 70s and could see the continuation of the deterioration. That deterioration continues unabated. Permit me an example. If schools were closed by winter conditions calls from the parents were largelyconcerned with, "What am I going to do with my kids today?"
When my oldest son, 52 years-old now, was in senior English his instructor(??) showed me a paper he had written. The grade was "B." When I complained he asked, "Do you think a B is too low." I assured him if I had turned in a paper like that my teacher wouldn't even have given a grade. My son's teacher pointed out that spelling, grammar, and punctuation were no longer deemed important! This was 35 years ago. My twin grand daughters graduated last year. They have a difficult time writing or reading cursive!!
There are still good teachers but they carry some responsibility for their left-wing union leadership because those union leaders are elected by union members.
School administrators come from the ranks of teachers. School boards are largely "rubber stamps" and usually follow the direction of the superintendent, who even though he might be from another district is still tainted.
The education association, "The union" faithfully "Delivers the Goods" for the democrats at election time. The politicians then return the favor in passing legislation favorable to the unions.
Finally, compare the amount of money we in Oregon spend on education with graduation rates and REAL EDUCATION and you will see the taxpayers are being screwed!!

NOW, IF YOU ARE ESPECIALLY NICE TO ME i'LL TELL YOU HOW I REALLY FEEL !!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Sheldon

I attended college later in life ( mid 20's ) than most. I went to Olympic Junior College while stationed at Bangor. It was amazing to me how many students were going to junior college because they did not have to get a job while mommy and daddy were putting them through school. The topic in class was not the subject but more about what was going on Friday night. I came out with a 3.8 grade point average while serving full time in the service taking care of my home and anything else that needed to be done.

To me the problem is two fold - one the teachers aren't teaching the same way as when I was in school and secondly the desire to learn is missing from many students because parents are not making learning imperative.
When I was going to school my primary job in life was to learn and there were no exceptions - it was the equivalent of my dad going to work. When there was a problem my dad was down to school figuring it out working with the teachers. If we were expelled from school we knew that we would be digging holes from the time we got up to the time we had dinner with a shovel. We did not tempt that fate.

There are many places to put the blame, unions are not helping, concepts like core and no child left behind are not helping, funding is not going to the right places and parents that are not making learning imperative to their kids are not helping and all this is really hurting this country.

One last thing - 60 minutes last Sunday evening had a clip on the USA Math team - anyone notice that there wasn't one Caucasian or Black in the bunch, they were all Indian and Asian Americans. I simply don't think that some cultures think learning is as big a thing as being a great basketball player or football player. When we start treating our Engineers and Geniuses as super stars we will be finally on the right track.

Flame on.

We are being ruled by.............. Snowflakes.gif

I attended college later in life ( mid 20's ) than most. I went to Olympic Junior College while stationed at Bangor. It was amazing to me how many students were going to junior college because they did not have to get a job while mommy and daddy were putting them through school. The topic in class was not the subject but more about what was going on Friday night. I came out with a 3.8 grade point average while serving full time in the service taking care of my home and anything else that needed to be done.

To me the problem is two fold - one the teachers aren't teaching the same way as when I was in school and secondly the desire to learn is missing from many students because parents are not making learning imperative.
When I was going to school my primary job in life was to learn and there were no exceptions - it was the equivalent of my dad going to work. When there was a problem my dad was down to school figuring it out working with the teachers. If we were expelled from school we knew that we would be digging holes from the time we got up to the time we had dinner with a shovel. We did not tempt that fate.

There are many places to put the blame, unions are not helping, concepts like core and no child left behind are not helping, funding is not going to the right places and parents that are not making learning imperative to their kids are not helping and all this is really hurting this country.

One last thing - 60 minutes last Sunday evening had a clip on the USA Math team - anyone notice that there wasn't one Caucasian or Black in the bunch, they were all Indian and Asian Americans. I simply don't think that some cultures think learning is as big a thing as being a great basketball player or football player. When we start treating our Engineers and Geniuses as super stars we will be finally on the right track.

Flame on.

Let's also add in the lowering of standards required to move from one grade to the next. It's now become a system of the lowest common denominator. This is the system working, and not the teachers. The system has to answer to parents and taxpayers who have not held them accountable. Teachers can work within the system, but they also answer to that system.

We have reached a place where we are weak at both ends - we don't have enough educated people to fill our entry medical/tech/engineering positions so have to outsource from other countries where education is prioritized, and at the same time fewer and fewer are willing to work manual labor jobs, so we outsource for that as well.

Some people want to learn. Some people want to excel. Some people are willing to get their hands dirty. Unfortunately we have a rapidly growing segment that wants to be rewarded just by showing up and won't settle for an entry level position.

Disgusting B.S. from people that have no understanding of history or the damn English language. Crap like this is what makes me so happy that we're not in the public school system. I refuse to have my daughter educated by such ignorant losers.

WTF is wrong with people? How are so many okay with this stuff???!

I suppose anyone with the name "Lynch" now has to change their name and pay reparations?

I would like to point out that from east county, those kids can see Mt Hood. And if you look closely, the mountain resembles the white "hood" a Klansman would wear. We need to shave off the top of the mountain and rename it before some f#cktard gets offended. Just look for yourself - you can see the resemblance:

Mt-Hood-656x304.jpg

2014_6608_1_2b.jpg

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews