JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
January of 09 I took a CCW class to apply for my permit. One thing led to another and I never applied and the paper I got from the class was misplaced during a move. Today I found it and now I want to get my license. Anyone know if there are rules to how current the class needs to be? Do I need to take another class?

January of 09 I took a CCW class to apply for my permit. One thing led to another and I never applied and the paper I got from the class was misplaced during a move. Today I found it and now I want to get my license. Anyone know if there are rules to how current the class needs to be? Do I need to take another class?
You should be able to call the place/people you took the class from & hopefully they've got a record of your completion of the class. And hopefully they can mail/fax/whatever a copy of your cert to you. I don't know if there's any time limit on when you took a class in order to get your CHL here in Oregon?

The class is good for lifetime meaning that you dont currently have to take additional classes to renew. Most counties do require that the class have been within a year for a new permit.

I was told that our paper from the class was good for one year. The retired sheriff that taught the class told us that.

ah, understood. And like Schwabdl just posted (emphasis mine, hope I understood correctly):
Schwabdl said:
The class is good for lifetime meaning that you dont currently have to take additional classes to renew. Most counties do require that the class have been within a year for a new permit.

So if your cert is expired, there's this $50 online class that many (but not all) Oregon counties will accept; it worked for a friend here in Multnomah, but I've heard it hasn't worked for others, at least in this county... who knows why the difference...

<broken link removed>

...there's also the Maryland online free course, but I don't know which if any counties here accept it...

...there's also the Maryland online free course, but I don't know which if any counties here accept it...

Washington CO definitely accepts the online FREE Maryland class for handgun safety, and I have heard of other counties in Oregon accepting this.

Take the class here: MD Firearms Safety Training

Print out your receipt, sign it, provide copy with your concealed permit application -- it works.

I took the safety class in 2000, had the card plastic laminated, and got around to getting my CHL in 2010 with absolutely no problem in Washington County.

The gun safety class certificate is good for life in Oregon, but you must have the certificate or card, as no other record is kept.

Frog.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads