Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

CCW application question

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by finch6013, Dec 15, 2010.

1. finch6013

finch6013 Oregon City Active Member

January of 09 I took a CCW class to apply for my permit. One thing led to another and I never applied and the paper I got from the class was misplaced during a move. Today I found it and now I want to get my license. Anyone know if there are rules to how current the class needs to be? Do I need to take another class?

2. glockguy

glockguy Albany Oregon Well-Known Member

easiest thing you an do is call your local sheriff station and ask them, but i dont see why you couldn't use it.

3. Drkside45

Drkside45 chehalis wa Member

Why did you have to take a class?

4. Contract_Pilot

Contract_Pilot Vancouver, Washington Active Member

If I remember what I was told in my Oregon Class "Multnomah County Sheriffs Office" is the Oregon certificate is valid for a life time as long as you have it that's why the Sheriff only needs a Copy.

5. glockguy

glockguy Albany Oregon Well-Known Member

OR requirement

6. Brandon44647

Brandon44647 Portland Member

I took a class a few months back and the instructor told the class we have one year from the date of the class to file the paper work............

7. atypicalparkie

atypicalparkie sowfeast poetland, ohraygun Member

You should be able to call the place/people you took the class from & hopefully they've got a record of your completion of the class. And hopefully they can mail/fax/whatever a copy of your cert to you. I don't know if there's any time limit on when you took a class in order to get your CHL here in Oregon?

8. Chameleon

Chameleon Central Oregon Member

I was told that our paper from the class was good for one year. The retired sheriff that taught the class told us that.

9. Schwabdl

Schwabdl Hillsboro Active Member

The class is good for lifetime meaning that you dont currently have to take additional classes to renew. Most counties do require that the class have been within a year for a new permit.

10. atypicalparkie

atypicalparkie sowfeast poetland, ohraygun Member

ah, understood. And like Schwabdl just posted (emphasis mine, hope I understood correctly):
    So if your cert is expired, there's this $50 online class that many (but not all) Oregon counties will accept; it worked for a friend here in Multnomah, but I've heard it hasn't worked for others, at least in this county... who knows why the difference...

American Firearms Training Oregon Online CCL Qualification Test

...there's also the Maryland online free course, but I don't know which if any counties here accept it...

11. pchewn

pchewn Beaverton Oregon USA Well-Known Member

Washington CO definitely accepts the online FREE Maryland class for handgun safety, and I have heard of other counties in Oregon accepting this.

Take the class here: MD Firearms Safety Training

Print out your receipt, sign it, provide copy with your concealed permit application -- it works.

12. HahnsXD

HahnsXD Battle Ground WA Active Member

Because OR is a PITA to get a CHL :D

13. Frog

Frog Vancouver, Washington Member

I took the safety class in 2000, had the card plastic laminated, and got around to getting my CHL in 2010 with absolutely no problem in Washington County.

The gun safety class certificate is good for life in Oregon, but you must have the certificate or card, as no other record is kept.

Frog.