JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Back when I was a teenager in the 80's and would spend a couple of weeks shooting jackrabbits on my grandpa's farm in Southern Idaho, they were my preferred round. I remember them going for about $3 for a 100 pack, which was quite a bit more than regular .22. But they were markedly improved on rabbits over a standard .22. Shot them in a Browning BLR22.

I picked up a few boxes of them after the last ammo shortage was over for nostalgia sake and went down to my sister's farm near Twin Falls to kill some rabbits. Didn't see a single dang rabbit. But I was in the Southern Idaho desert with a lever-action .22 loaded with Stingers, so it brought back some nice memories.

My take is they don't work any better or worse than any other .22 I use, but I also don't hunt with or shoot groups with .22s. for me that cartridge is entirely a messing around thing or I want to shoot for hours and spend very little. And at $7/box you're getting close enough to centerfire prices where I wouldn't even bother. I can't remember now if they come in 50 or 100 round units. Can't say I'd go out of my way to get any, but again, I'm just a plinker when it comes to .22s

Boxes of 50 are the ones I have.

CCI Mini Mags are my go too but I keep a variety of high/hyper velocity for unusual situations.

Ruger does not recommend the use of "Stingers" in any of the Ruger Mark pistols. The recoil impulse energy is too much for these pistols. I have a bolt stop pin around here somewhere that is actually bent from the owner using those in his Ruger Mark II 5½ inch bull barrel target pistol. That pin is quite beat up but what is not so noticeable in how the bolt stop pin hole in the receiver has become elongated from the steady, hard hits from the bolt because of the Stinger use he admitted to.
Bolt stop pins are relatively cheap in cost, receivers, not so cheap.
CCI Mini-Mags will do just fine in any Ruger Mark pistol and are fairly accurate without beating up the pistols. Save the Velocitors and Stingers for .22 rimfire rifles.

And I've shot thousands of Stingers over the years in many different firearms with no adverse effects of any kind.

I have had, however, firearms with target chambers that Stingers would not fully chamber, so were unusable with Stingers.

On sage rats and jackrabbits, the terminal results are quite impressive.

Last Edited:
Ruger does not recommend the use of "Stingers" in any of the Ruger Mark pistols. The recoil impulse energy is too much for these pistols. I have a bolt stop pin around here somewhere that is actually bent from the owner using those in his Ruger Mark II 5½ inch bull barrel target pistol. That pin is quite beat up but what is not so noticeable in how the bolt stop pin hole in the receiver has become elongated from the steady, hard hits from the bolt because of the Stinger use he admitted to.
Bolt stop pins are relatively cheap in cost, receivers, not so cheap.
CCI Mini-Mags will do just fine in any Ruger Mark pistol and are fairly accurate without beating up the pistols. Save the Velocitors and Stingers for .22 rimfire rifles.

Thank you for that valuable information. I think save mine for rifle use.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top