JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
In another thread I mentioned that my arthritic hands have been hampering my abilities and I am trying to make logical decisions on how to best help me stay in love with this newfound hobby.

Here are a few options that I have found and I'm asking for your honest opinions if you have used these tools or others I have not found, I don't trust the reviews from strangers on the interweb. I value the reviews and comments from members here in the community (well most of you anyways, I do have an ignore list started:eek:) lol Peace my Brothers.;)

<broken link removed>

RCBS Trim Mate Case Prep Center 110 Volt

https://www.amazon.com/Lyman-Case-P...=1479074912&sr=8-1&keywords=case+prep+station

<broken link removed>

I have the Lyman Case Prep Express
It works well, and I like it.
Case prep is repetitive, and my wrist aches a bit after a couple hundred primer pockets.
The key is to let the tool do the work. When I do, my wrist doesn't complain.
I can't seem to quit pressing down hard to make it go faster? Another super power...

I use the RCBS trim mate. Love it. I have it set up with
primer pocket cleaner, primer pocket uniformer,
flash hole deburring, chamfering,and deburring.
Uniform the primer pocket to insure no high primer
that could cause a slam fire.:eek::eek:

I have a trim mate, when used for reaming out the primer pockets there can be a bit of torque and a tight grip is needed to hold on. Personally I would buy some good brass new that you can reuse many times and skip all the primer pocket work. (Crappy once fired stuff gives me alot of trouble.) Trimming for length isnt a big deal.

Awesome reviews folks.
I know it costs a lot but all I have to do is sell a few Salmon rod and reel combo's I have sitting around to fund it.o_Oo_Oo_O:D
050012-case-prep-center-lg-01.jpg

Lyman express prep center, these make processing fast as I do a couple K at a time of 223.

And all my trimming is done with a Little Crow case trimmer.

Last Edited:
I took my hornady chamfer and deburring tool and stuck it in my Dewalt and good lord it has sped things up sooo much especially crimped 556. I hate eureka moments after you've already got to 90% completion.:mad:

I have a trim mate and it's really nice. I like being able to configure it to what I am doing at the time.... it's saved me a ton of time and sore hands.

I hear ya, it will not be too long that I will have an electric cast prep & trimmer.
I'm leaning towards the multi unit with 4 or more tools, is red & has the electric trimmer.
While I was a cable splicer I was so meticulous with the way I set up my work area, every tool had its specific place, I didn't need to think just reached & there it was. That's how I want to setup my reloading area & find that sweet rhythm.
My aging body deserves the easy life after working so hard.:)

Thanks for all the responsesame, they have really got me motivated!!!;)

Last Edited:
I would buy that if I were a professional but alas I am but a meer hobbyist.;)

You are going to pay more in the long run replacing over priced crap with good equipment.
Might as well get the best right off the bat.

If you think something is good enough, Double the size than that double that and it will last .

I've had good luck with a cordless screw driver and a special adapter made by Sinclair that you can screw in a variety of tools. You still have to hold the case in one hand and that hand can start to cramp over time. I like that more expensive Hornaday tool you gave a link to and figure eventually I will be buying one as I get older.

You are going to pay more in the long run replacing over priced crap with good equipment.
Might as well get the best right off the bat.

If you think something is good enough, Double the size than that double that and it will last .
Like I said
Finger joints, wrist
Squeezing the case and pushing it into the cutters
Just noticed BRASS GRIPPER in American Rifleman Nov 2016 page 112

Interesting to say the least. I wear a lightweight pair of rubber type gloves, it just helps me hang onto stuff & still feel what I'm doing.

That being said, I may have to opt for these in the future. Thanks for the heads up.;)

I've had good luck with a cordless screw driver and a special adapter made by Sinclair that you can screw in a variety of tools. You still have to hold the case in one hand and that hand can start to cramp over time. I like that more expensive Hornaday tool you gave a link to and figure eventually I will be buying one as I get older.

I like that it's an "ALL in One" prep station, even if some call it a POS....

Well folks, this is my decision for a new tool and it will be a welcomed addition to make the tedious process. It is pretty straight forward while not doing a bunch of steps without having to handle the brass multiple times. I'm all for simplicity in any process to produce anything no matter what it is.

part 1 & 2 sold me.

Thanks for your all your comments, reviews & opinions.

Jim Sr.;)

Last Edited:
I use the Lee case trimmer chucked up in a cordless drill that sits solidly on the workbench. It takes probably around 5 seconds to lock a case in, trim and chamfer inside and out.
I do quite a few different bottleneck cases with of course 5.56 being the most.. probably only trim about 1000 of those a year.
works good for me

th?&id=OIP.Medb2aba4f70f04d4a36c9e004c38a0c0o0&w=297&h=153&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0&r=0.jpg

Lyman Case Prep here. On sale at Cabela's a few months ago for $95, and had a $20 coupon if I spent $100 so that brought it down to about $75. Also got the attachment on Ebay that screws the case trimmer into one of the slots so all my case prep is done on this little device.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top