JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've got another update on this project. I received some of the magnets in the mail, did I mention I hate split shipments? The 4x3mm magnets are supposed to be here Thursday. The 5x3mm (LPP) and the 8x5mm (50 cal) magnets came in Monday and have been working on them when I have time get in the shop (grandkids keeps you very occupied).
Today I did manage to get all of the 5mm's & 8mm magnet glued into the primer pockets with a quickset epoxy. It was slow going and had to glue from 10 to 12 at a time because this stuff sets up real quick.

I've been saving a bundle of Oak for a special project and this is the one I deem essential. It's been sitting out for about three weeks to acclimate to shop conditions so now it's time to get busy.
I spent two hours figuring out the dimensions and Wala, I completed that task in two hours plus or 15-20 minutes farting around on non project things.
Now for sorting the oak lumber for the best pattern for appearance.
I've got some nice inch and a half thick pieces with 1/4 sawn figure that I will rip for the sides and the shelves will be rift sawn, Not optimal but that's just how it turned out with all the pieces that I had to choose from.
I found a sheet of 3/16 inch oak plywood with very nice cathedral figures that is going to be the backer. I may stain this dark mahogany with red tint or black, I'm still undecided on that and we'll figure it out after I get the carcass built.
I still have not cut the shelf pieces to length because I may want to change it up a bit before I make up my mind.

94E810AA-BCB5-48D9-BE68-A02728AECB67.jpeg 3A4D0BAD-2469-4CD7-AD22-34BBE0F31323.jpeg A124BF92-F1AB-4D7B-A221-A796632AECAF.jpeg 3DEA5A19-D23A-4C1D-AD1E-785F14B691A5.jpeg

Last Edited:
I do believe you all have been waiting for this post for a while now. It's been a challenging but fun project I know that it will be appreciated.

I did ask for my son's opinion on which backboard to use the red oak stained like the carcass or the True black stain. He liked the black, said it makes it "POP" so the black it is.
He still doesn't know that I made it for him. Lol

After assembling the carcass with dowel joinery (1st time) and a 2 day rest in the clamps, I gave it a finish sanding with 220 grit on the orbital. Applied a wood conditioner which it probably didn't need due to being oak but had it on hand. It dried for a day then made a mess with the red oak stain, never liked finishing wood but muddled through it. While it drying in "the Room" I cut the 1/4" oak plywood backer, sanded it w/220 and then stained it in "the Room".
I applied a few light coats of spray polyurethane from Minwax to the carcass and will be ready to go this afternoon.
Going to spray the backer this afternoon let it dry for a few days.
I have a few finishing touches I have to do like attaching the backboard and the final polishing of those cases that need it, most are good to go.

The last pic is a shot of how the magnets were installed. It really works slicker than Owl snot on a rainy night.

What do y'all think?"

A93D0641-ED35-497B-A035-BC93BB38258F.jpeg 5FF31DDA-0235-49DE-8058-C96830D52B25.jpeg C7FB4F45-1CB2-4C7A-BC50-C313A1171805.jpeg ACAAD290-0EA3-442E-96DD-589683CC516C.jpeg DF0201BB-9E6A-4DE1-878A-D0651B21B84D.jpeg

Amazing…….
Great work…. Cool to think we helped with some of that. But you had a great idea and built a great thing.

There are some big boyz in there. Glad I got a couple in.

I do believe you all have been waiting for this post for a while now. It's been a challenging but fun project I know that it will be appreciated.

I did ask for my son's opinion on which backboard to use the red oak stained like the carcass or the True black stain. He liked the black, said it makes it "POP" so the black it is.
He still doesn't know that I made it for him. Lol

After assembling the carcass with dowel joinery (1st time) and a 2 day rest in the clamps, I gave it a finish sanding with 220 grit on the orbital. Applied a wood conditioner which it probably didn't need due to being oak but had it on hand. It dried for a day then made a mess with the red oak stain, never liked finishing wood but muddled through it. While it drying in "the Room" I cut the 1/4" oak plywood backer, sanded it w/220 and then stained it in "the Room".
I applied a few light coats of spray polyurethane from Minwax to the carcass and will be ready to go this afternoon.
Going to spray the backer this afternoon let it dry for a few days.
I have a few finishing touches I have to do like attaching the backboard and the final polishing of those cases that need it, most are good to go.

The last pic is a shot of how the magnets were installed. It really works slicker than Owl snot on a rainy night.

What do y'all think?"

View attachment 1411156 View attachment 1411157 View attachment 1411158 View attachment 1411159 View attachment 1411222
But you hid part of the 50! Haha. Looks great!

Thank you so much for that donation.But you hid part of the 50! Haha. Looks great!
I racked my brain trying to figure out how to make that bad boy presentable in this collection, I actually had the thought of cutting an inch and a half off above that so it would all be visible but I think I came up with an ingenious design so people could fondle it if they so desired to do so. :s0140:
Thank you so much for that donation.:s0155:

Last Edited:
Amazing job! Looks better than any of the commercial ones I've seen. Plus, much more comprehensive than those.
I heard you're going into production on these for $25… :D

I packed the carcass in foam and cardboard.
I sent the cartridges USPS flat rate on Wednesday, supposed to be there Monday/Tuesday.
I did find that my large rolling duffel bag is wide enough to accept the display. Crossing fingers that the baggage gorillas do not destroy it. :eek:

We fly out early Tuesday morning for Kodiak.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top