JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I saw brownells has a 308 or 6.5 creedmore carbon fiber barreled action for 575$ with a coupon code. Is the extra hundred bucks or so make it worth it for a carbon fiber barrel? normal cost would be 375$ for a steel barrel, a normal one

the extra money.

Only you can answer that. I don't balance your checkbook.

Is the weight shaved off by the carbon fiber wrapping significant?
Yes.

The advantage of carbon wrapped barrels is you allegedly get a stiffer barrel, similar to a bull barrel, at a significant weight savings. I haven't seen any real data that supports this, but I haven't look super hard for it either.

Whether this is "worth it" to you is dependent on your use. If you're lugging it around in the backcountry and taking 500+ yard shots, then yes, it might be worth it.

If you're plopping down at a bench and shooting at typical distances, then no, it may not be.

Yes.

The advantage of carbon wrapped barrels is you allegedly get a stiffer barrel, similar to a bull barrel, at a significant weight savings. I haven't seen any real data that supports this, but I haven't look super hard for it either.

Whether this is "worth it" to you is dependent on your use. If you're lugging it around in the backcountry and taking 500+ yard shots, then yes, it might be worth it.

If you're plopping down at a bench and shooting at typical distances, then no, it may not be.
thank you

Yes.

I've seen tests that show it doesn't do much of anything except shave weight. And they don't tolerate heat very well before delaminating. The only thing I would use a carbon fiber barrel on is an ultra light hunting rifle. Anything else doesn't make a lot of sense to me

Hard to say.

From my brief research on extremely precise rifles, it is that steel is still king for harmonics. That's not saying they won't figure out something better down the road. So I'm my opinion the only gain you get from carbon fiber is weight. Hard to say if they are more precise, I haven't seen much in my time as a gun enthusiast that says they are more precise. Even ones that start as full contour match barrels seem to lose their harmonic balance once all the metal is removed to wrap with carbon.

So now the question becomes, is the carbon bull barrel worth more than a pencil barrel? If it's a hunting rifle where only one maybe two shots will be taken, I'd say no, a pencil barrel or light profile barrel or even just a shorter barrel might be a better choice, save some weight but not spend 2x the price for similar precision.

If competition or precision is in mind, I'd stick with steel. Thicker the better, yet they competitors are always tweaking barrel contours trying to find that perfect thickness at all the right spots. Usually the thicker, the better though.

If you are the ounces are pounds type, yes. Just dont get it then put a 5 pound scope on it and defeat the whole reason to go lighter.

Hard to say.

From my brief research on extremely precise rifles, it is that steel is still king for harmonics. That's not saying they won't figure out something better down the road. So I'm my opinion the only gain you get from carbon fiber is weight. Hard to say if they are more precise, I haven't seen much in my time as a gun enthusiast that says they are more precise. Even ones that start as full contour match barrels seem to lose their harmonic balance once all the metal is removed to wrap with carbon.

So now the question becomes, is the carbon bull barrel worth more than a pencil barrel? If it's a hunting rifle where only one maybe two shots will be taken, I'd say no, a pencil barrel or light profile barrel or even just a shorter barrel might be a better choice, save some weight but not spend 2x the price for similar precision.

If competition or precision is in mind, I'd stick with steel. Thicker the better, yet they competitors are always tweaking barrel contours trying to find that perfect thickness at all the right spots. Usually the thicker, the better though.

If you are the ounces are pounds type, yes. Just dont get it then put a 5 pound scope on it and defeat the whole reason to go lighter.
That helps, thanks you

the extra money. Is the weight shaved off by the carbon fiber wrapping significant?
It isn't just weight, it's also heat dissipation, strength, etc. Carbon fiber is superior in several ways;.

From Christensen's site:

Carbon fiber is a composite material. As such, it performs much differently than a metal would when utilized in firearm components. The bore of our barrels are stainless steel, but the exterior is carefully wrapped in the composite which allows heat to dissipate more effectively than it would with steel alone. More effective heat dissipation between shots means less deformation, longer barrel life, and improved accuracy.

Sacrificing steel doesn't make the barrel any less stiff. Our particular carbon fiber composite is two times stiffer, and five times stronger than the equivalent weight of steel. The increased rigidity carbon fiber gives our barrels improves the overall barrel harmonics. Better barrel harmonics means better shot-to-shot accuracy.

Generally, barrels that are wrapped in carbon fiber will also weigh less than traditional steel or fluted steel options. Our carbon fiber is four times lighter than steel, allowing the barrel to maintain essential shape and form without the weight of additional metal. This means that you can expect more out of your firearm while carrying less.

I saw brownells has a 308 or 6.5 creedmore carbon fiber barreled action for 575$ with a coupon code. Is the extra hundred bucks or so make it worth it for a carbon fiber barrel? normal cost would be 375$ for a steel barrel, a normal one
FYI, your example is $200 bucks more (not an extra hundred or so) and the answer is no. Carbon fiber handguards are available, also at a big $ premium if weights is a major concern. The accuracy difference is likely to be un-measurable for 99.97% of shooters.

Not all carbon fiber barrels are equal...

Can't imagine for $200 extra you are getting any more quality as a good carbon fiber BLANK will run you $900ish...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top