JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Caliber?

• 6.5 Creedmoor

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • 7mm Rem Mag

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • .300 Win Mag

• .30-06

Votes: 23 57.5%
  • Other

• Total voters
Reactions
Long story short, I am looking at getting a rifle that I can have my whole life and will kill any animal I want to hunt. I have been an archery hunter and have shot my fair share of high power rifle but have never owned one. My criteria, even though the rifle affects all of these, are accuracy, range, and power. So far I am looking at the 7mm Rem mag, 6.5 Creedmoor, and the .300 win mag. So far I am leaning towards the 6.5 because it has the range and power but also has less recoil than the magnum cartridges. I have thought about the .30-06 but am not super sure of it's all around capability. Thanks

I cast a vote for the 300 Win Mag based on your statement "a rifle I can have my whole life and will kill any animal I want to hunt". I personally hunt with a 7 mm, but if you get into BIG game (think moose), I am not sure i would use a 7mm. Shot placement is paramount however and more deer have been killed over the years with .22 lr than probably all the other calibers combined. The thing I like about the 7mm and 300 win mag is the ballistics; you can reach out and touch a target and still have a lot of punch to take down game. The 30-06 is a good all around cartridge, but you are more limited on distance. I can't speak personally on the 6.5 Creed, but I suspect it performs similar to the 7mm. If you want a "one size fits all" I would go with the 300 win mag. Yeah it punches back, but not that bad.... Besides, you aren't going to go out the range and put 100 rounds down the tube on one anyway.

I cast a vote for the 300 Win Mag based on your statement "a rifle I can have my whole life and will kill any animal I want to hunt". I personally hunt with a 7 mm, but if you get into BIG game (think moose), I am not sure i would use a 7mm. Shot placement is paramount however and more deer have been killed over the years with .22 lr than probably all the other calibers combined. The thing I like about the 7mm and 300 win mag is the ballistics; you can reach out and touch a target and still have a lot of punch to take down game. The 30-06 is a good all around cartridge, but you are more limited on distance. I can't speak personally on the 6.5 Creed, but I suspect it performs similar to the 7mm. If you want a "one size fits all" I would go with the 300 win mag. Yeah it punches back, but not that bad.... Besides, you aren't going to go out the range and put 100 rounds down the tube on one anyway.
Thanks!

"but not that bad." You might not like that recoil. If you have shot something with more recoil and don't mind it, then go for the 300WM, but recoil really does matter. If you are a flincher (not everyone even knows that they are flinching), then the increased distance and power will mean nothing when you miss.

You cannot have only one caliber for everything. Or at least maybe you should not.

Get a used 30-06. Can find them all the time from the 50's and 60's used for $300 with glass and better quality then the plastic stocked versions on most of them today.

If it will go thru level 3 played it should handle anything you want to put down.

However, like said - there is never 1 gun for everything. A 30-30 or .308 would probably be better at shorter range for deer and a 300wm might be better for a very long shot, idk.

I would recommend the old .30/06 hands down as a great all around combo. More then proven performance all these years and still the #1 round in this country. You can literally find ammo any where when needed, and this includes Africa! I my self have been looking to add a 7 mm mag to my battery, but have yet to find the perfect rifle at a good price, I am leaning towards the SAKO Bavarian or a nice early FN Browning!
Don't forget the good old 6.5X55 Swede, another very good combo, very accurate, great long range performance, and with the right bullets, plenty of power to take ANY thing in North America!

I voted for 30-06. Not because I like it but because out of all the cartridges in the poll, it's going to always be in stock, beats your shoulder less than a magnum. I trust it enough to drop what needs to be dropped. overall factory ammo or reloading cheaper than a 300 win mag.

I my self have a 6.5x55 project going on and as much as I love the 6.5 creedmoor, and per volume it is the most efficient, but I went with a well known classic. A 30-06 is also a classic and sure to be on all shelves.

For a better all around rifle with reasonable recoil, I would think you would be better served with something in the 270, 280, 30-06 range rather than the calibers you mentioned.

I have been down this exact same road. The song and dance didnt change for me because of great advice from the likes of @Ura-Ki and many other members. I kept my 30-06 had it reblued and a trigger job done to it. Added new optic and it should be ready by end of week. ;)

Can't wait to go to the range:)

Sparks,
-This all depends on what you will be using the rifle for. As a youngster I was intrigued by the magnum cartridges. After experience with shooting a few magnums my perspective has changed a bit. After looking at ammo prices my perspective has changed even more.
-7mag and 300mag aren't a whole lot of fun to shoot all day. High recoil leads to developing a flinch. Poor trigger control makes shooting less fun because you won't be very accurate. Also, the price of magnums will limit the quantity of rounds you'll want to shoot at the range. Magnums come in handy when you're taking FAR shots. A very small percent of people actually use their magnums to their full potential. Most shots are taken at less than 200 yards.
-If you want the most bang for your buck get a 30-06. This cartridge will offer the most amount of energy for the least amount of money. It's a non-belted tried and true cartridge adequate for elk.
-If you don't plan on hunting large elk, get a 6.5 Creedmoor. This cartridge is so efficient. Has great energy retention and it's nice to shoot. Perfect for deer, hogs, coyotes, etc.
-My vote goes out to the 6.5 Creedmoor. Get a decent rifle you enjoy shooting. Become very comfortable with it and you'll thoroughly enjoy it more than the magnums IMO.

Sparks,
-This all depends on what you will be using the rifle for. As a youngster I was intrigued by the magnum cartridges. After experience with shooting a few magnums my perspective has changed a bit. After looking at ammo prices my perspective has changed even more.
-7mag and 300mag aren't a whole lot of fun to shoot all day. High recoil leads to developing a flinch. Poor trigger control makes shooting less fun because you won't be very accurate. Also, the price of magnums will limit the quantity of rounds you'll want to shoot at the range. Magnums come in handy when you're taking FAR shots. A very small percent of people actually use their magnums to their full potential. Most shots are taken at less than 200 yards.
-If you want the most bang for your buck get a 30-06. This cartridge will offer the most amount of energy for the least amount of money. It's a non-belted tried and true cartridge adequate for elk.
-If you don't plan on hunting large elk, get a 6.5 Creedmoor. This cartridge is so efficient. Has great energy retention and it's nice to shoot. Perfect for deer, hogs, coyotes, etc.
-My vote goes out to the 6.5 Creedmoor. Get a decent rifle you enjoy shooting. Become very comfortable with it and you'll thoroughly enjoy it more than the magnums IMO.
What I would mainly be using the rifle for at my current age is for deer, elk, and bear. Thanks for the advice!

What I would mainly be using the rifle for at my current age is for deer, elk, and bear. Thanks for the advice!
In that case... If you plan on hunting elk and bear sometimes, I'd say 30-06 not 6.5 Creedmoor. If you are PRIMARILY hunting elk and bear but not deer as often, 7mag. Cannot go wrong with the ol' 30-06 right there in the middle.

For a better all around rifle with reasonable recoil, I would think you would be better served with something in the 270, 280, 30-06 range rather than the calibers you mentioned.
It's not on the list, but I would vote for 280 Remington (30-06 necked down to 7mm).
Or 280 Ackley Improved now that it's been standardized and can be bought off the rack.

280 Remington, a clever way to launch the 7mm family of bullets.

Two of my favorite cartridges 280 Rem and 6mm Rem hobbled by marketing blunders early on.

Last Edited:
One point to remember with the Magnums, You are pushing hard ( like 20% more) for additional performance over the .30/06 and you only gain ( average) about 2% improvement. The .338 win mag is the exception, as your actually using a much heavier bullet from essentially a necked up 7 mm mag.

Can't say enough good things about the .30/06 cartridge.
Nope its not the end all be all of the cartridge world but...
For what most folks hunt , how and where they hunt it is tough to beat.

Many different bullet styles and weights.
Commonly found in stock.
Plenty of rifles new or used to choose from.
Fairly inexpensive for store bought ammo.

Be sure to put as much thought into the choice of rifle as you are into rifle calibers.
The rifle really needs to fit you , how you hunt and how you shoot in the hunting field.
As opposed to how the rifle feels in the store , or when you shoot at the range off a bench.

A rifle that gets a lot of press or recommendations from others but doesn't suit you...
Or one that you can't shoot well after carrying it all day while hunting in bad weather ... Isn't worth a damn.
Andy

Last Edited:
Can't say enough good things about the .30/06 cartridge.
Nope its not the end all be all of the cartridge world but...
For what most folks hunt , how and where they hunt it is tough to beat.

Many different bullet styles and weights.
Commonly found in stock.
Plenty of rifles new or used to choose from.
Fairly inexpensive for store bought ammo.

Be sure to put as much thought into the choice of rifle as you are into rifle calibers.
The rifle really needs to fit you , how you hunt and how you shoot in the hunting field.
As opposed to how the rifle feels in the store , or when you shoot at the range off a bench.

A rifle that gets a lot of press or recommendations from others but doesn't suit you...
Or one that you can't shoot well after carrying it all day while hunting in bad weather ... Isn't worth a damn.
Andy
That's one thing I tried to stay away from was guns that get lots of press. I made sure to make my choice on company and model in store and hands on.

It really depends on how you like to hunt. As a former archer myself, I find I still hunt similarly when in the timber. I prefer lighter rifles that stay in my hands with shorter barrels. I also prefer larger calibers where I can penetrate and break bone from angles other than perfectly broadside. A 22 inch barreled 30-06 with 180gr controlled expansion bullets does this for me. Magnums typically need longer barrels and arent as handy. I also keep scope magnification low.

On the other hand, when I'm hunting wide open areas, I prefer a flatter shooting cartridge with higher BC and SD bullets. I will go with smaller calibers because the animal is unaware and I have the time to pick my shot. I use a 7mm Rem Mag in open country. The longer barrel isnt a hindrance and the added weight improves long range stability. I use a more mid-range scope as I am not a fan of high magnification scopes.

With those two rifles I can also use the other as a backup on any hunt.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews