Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

canning time

Discussion in 'Preparedness & Survival' started by Just Jim, Sep 20, 2015.

1. Just Jim

Just Jim Well-Known Member

FB_IMG_1442777838150.jpg

What are ya'll canning?:D

2. 45alive

45alive South Douglas County- Orygun Well-Known Member

I need to learn canning, and get off my rump :s0129: and start my Garden again. I would can Peas, Beans, Squish, Cabbage, Jalapeno Carrots with Garlic and Onions:s0073: and Homemade Pickles. Sweet Bread & Butter for me and Garlic Dill for the Wife ! :s0060:

mjbskwim likes this.
  3. Just Jim

Canned up salsa then apple jelly so far.

45alive likes this.
  4. Just Jim

Deal is, when regular canned food runs out you better know how to can your own...

lowly monk and 45alive like this.
  5. 45alive

Ya, I need to learn and I know it's easy. Just have to do it right or else get sick real bad or die as well.

lowly monk likes this.
  6. beavernation

beavernation Canby Active Member

We canned up a bunch of salsa last night. We also are using up the mountain of tomatoes we had by just roasting em up with squash and red onion (or whatever else I have) to freeze in jars for tomato sauce. Its really simple to just chunkem up roastem in a big pan for several hours till the liquids gone them blendem with a bit of oil for a general purpose tomato based sauce;)

45alive and lowly monk like this.
  7. pdempsey1097

pdempsey1097 West of McMinnville Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Not canning - YET - but did pickle both Jalapenos and Bell Peppers so far this year:

image.jpg

45alive, lowly monk and mjbskwim like this.
  8. CoastRange57

CoastRange57 Western Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Tuna in August, apple cider this last month, apple pie filling and apples next week end. Going to can up some stew mix, meat, potatoes carrots, probably some salmon when we start catching them next month.

Canning is pretty easy, it is a lot of work. Pretty easy way to store food, we pressure cook everything, never had any problem. You need .75 protein for each person each day, so it makes planning easy.

45alive, lowly monk and mjbskwim like this.
  9. lowly monk

lowly monk Beaverton, Oregon. Just a guy. Bronze Supporter

Just finished 20 pounds of berries last week. My wife and I love to can. It's our time together in the kitchen. I will be making beer this week. The whole community smell so good from our work.
    http://www.simplycanning.com/

45alive, mjbskwim and CoastRange57 like this.
  10. JDAVIS

JDAVIS washington co. Member

did some jam, pie filling, salsa, pepper jelly and dilly beans the past couple weeks. doing pickled hot peppers with the extra's so they dont go to waste. they are nice on a sandwich :)

45alive and mjbskwim like this.
  11. CoastRange57

CoastRange57 Western Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I pretty much freeze all my berries. Keep some for breakfast and pancake additions, and then will start into making jam the first week or so of December. Christmas gifts for the family and some friends.

45alive and lowly monk like this.
  12. 45alive

Sounds fun and is certainly a necessity. I helped some folks in Idaho can boxes and boxes of Veggies, many years ago. I saw my first Moose Cow there in Idaho, and it is a Beautiful State.