JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A friend asked me to see what I could find out about this lantern. He thinks it's worth some money and it may be, but there's a lot of counterfeit copper and brass out there so maybe someone here can help with identification and value if possible.
The name Seahorse and "Masthead" on the lantern would seem to indicate a nautical lantern but I don't really know.
What do you think?

lantern 2.jpg lantern 3.jpg lantern.jpg

My fiance's nephew spotted it and asked me if it's worth anything. Maybe he figures because I'm old I know about everything that's old. o_O

Well aside from the name the two lanterns are very different so the price being asked for the one could have nothing to do with the value of the other.

My dad collected railroad lanterns in his stuff is a Coleman lantern that if it is a Great Northern Railroad lantern its worth 5 times and much as if its the same lantern that great uncle joe used camping.

I'm asking for my fiance's nephew. He took the pics and the lantern is somewhere up North of me so I can't inspect it. Otherwise I'd have a pretty good idea.

It looks too pristine to me. Curious to see what you find out though. You'd really have to have some decent pictures. Close ups, without camera shake. Some pics of the oil reservoir, wick winder, soldering.

My first thought was reproduction. That's still my feeling.

The originals had a nameplate, riveted on.
112916-094_2_1024x1024.JPG

On the photo you provided, the rivets are not functional at all, but just for looks.
439922-8436b2265f432f2a683b5d65418713c3.jpg

Last Edited:
While I do collect and restore old Coleman fuel lanterns and other GPA's (Gas Pressure Appliances) I know little about wick type lanterns, much less industrial or maritime type lanterns.
I will say this... there are folks from countries like Pakistan and India who are masters at reproducing copper and brass collectibles. It does take a trained eye, but sometimes the obvious will stand out, such as fake rivets, latches that are cosmetic, and burner assemblies that are flimsy. Lets face it, early lanterns were subjected to tough elements and built to be so. Few had cosmetic embellishments or nonfunctional features.
Below on the right is a Canadian made Coleman 247 lantern made under contract for the Canadian Pacific Railway in the 1950s. Fairly hard to find, and if in private collections may be considered contraband. Next to it is a 1964 Canadian 639 CPR model that was also made available for sale to the public. These are run on kerosene.
Second picture is a Wichita made Coleman Air-O-Lantern, gas fueled, from the 20's, with mica globe.

P1110437.JPG
P1100663.JPG

He thanked us for our time and effort. I guess he's moved on to other things, so no more clues for the detectives.
But I agree, it looks fake.

While I do collect and restore old Coleman fuel lanterns and other GPA's (Gas Pressure Appliances) I know little about wick type lanterns, much less industrial or maritime type lanterns.
I will say this... there are folks from countries like Pakistan and India who are masters at reproducing copper and brass collectibles. It does take a trained eye, but sometimes the obvious will stand out, such as fake rivets, latches that are cosmetic, and burner assemblies that are flimsy. Lets face it, early lanterns were subjected to tough elements and built to be so. Few had cosmetic embellishments or nonfunctional features.
Below on the right is a Canadian made Coleman 247 lantern made under contract for the Canadian Pacific Railway in the 1950s. Fairly hard to find, and if in private collections may be considered contraband. Next to it is a 1964 Canadian 639 CPR model that was also made available for sale to the public. These are run on kerosene.
Second picture is a Wichita made Coleman Air-O-Lantern, gas fueled, from the 20's, with mica globe.

View attachment 491264
View attachment 491268

Awesome response, thank you!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads