JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey all!

I'm a total noob but have always been interested in Japanese Swords. I admire the rich history and craftsmanship that goes into them. They are deathly beautiful, destructive and double as hypnotic works of art.....any way..

Here's my story and I'll post up some pics. I was at an estate sale locally and wandered into a room that was somewhat closed off....as I peeked in, I saw tons of war relics, gun safes and some other misc interesting stuff laying around. Not more than 30 seconds after peeking my head in, the owner approached and let me know nothing in there is available. Boo. What I did see gave the a great opportunity to talk to the owner and his time in service because I could relate being a 6 year vet. I saw a 1st infantry plaque as well as a very familiar unit patch on the wall....1st Bn 75th Ranger Regiment..... "Rangers Lead the Way" I said as I walked up to him "All the Way!" Instant brothers.

So he showed me around his stuff, we talked etc....it was great. Learning his history hands on. Brought back so weird feelings....just before we were about to leave he turned to me and said "I've seen you eyein that sword for the past half hour.....go grab it" so I did. The he got serious and said "I've let go of most this stuff, I can sleep better now. Take that sword,don't open it now, its something special...thank you for your service"..... And he walk away.

OK here are some pics. I don't know all the proper names so I'm gonna be all white boy american ignorant about it, lol. I've disassembled the Katana completely. I WILL NOT attempt to disassemble or unwrap the wood handle. The peg was carefully removed out and all of the components removed.

It appears there is a type of button/lock missing but I am unsure. The sheeth has be repainted OD Green - some black is showing underneath.

There is beautiful patina on the handle accessories/hand guard. The end of the Katana there is a piece that looks interesting with 3 cherry blossoms surrounding the base.

The Katana handle end shows significant age with deep rust that is not peeling off... There are some very faint japanese inscriptions but its near impossible to make out. There are 2 holes drilled. 1 looks more modern then the other. The blade is not 100% uniform. There are blood grooves on both sides behind the blade near the dull end. It is showing some patina and possibly a few light rust spots. No major pitting, no cracks. I believe this is a hand forged weapon but I am not an expert in this subject. Please share you're knowledge and suggestions should I sell? Should I restore? Should I join The League of Shadows and take over Chicago? Ugh...tired.

Pics 1418372920661-1876216026.jpg 1418373014903-746976683.jpg 1418373086802139359796.jpg 1418373190784-217931743.jpg 1418373285784-1188821561.jpg

Pics

If you're in the Portland Metro I'd be happy to take a look. I should be able to tell you in a few minutes whether it is handmade or machine made, although the absence of a visible Hamon (temper line) in the pics argues for machine made. Also look for a signature on the tang and serial numbers stamped on the blade.

You could also bring it into Hawthorne Cutlery on SE Hawthorne in Portland. The owner Dave is very knowledgeable and would probably be able to tell you a lot about it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top