JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ive owned this 1911 for probly a week now carried daily! I've tried everything I know. I keep it oiled wipe it down every day tryed serval diffrent leather, kydex,nylon ect even kept it in a temp controlled room. The second day I owned it started pitting. I will post pics later tonight any suggestions ive herd wax might help thanks to all nwfa

Before the oil and steel wool you might want to try washing the broken down parts in dish washing soap and warm water with an old tooth brush, and then thoroughly rinsing and drying them. Then do the oil and steel wool thing. Sometimes chemical residues (like maybe hiding inside a chrome tanned leather holster) can cause issues like you're experiencing.

From a manufacturer's site:

"Our cowhide holsters use vegetable tanned leather. The advantages of these tannages is that they provide a leather that will not cause your weapon to rust or corrode the way chrome tanned leather can do when the gun is left in it for extended periods of time. Chrome tanned leather is loaded with salts and chemicals that can destroy the finish on your gun. Want to know if a piece of leather is tanned using the chrome process? Simply cut a splinter size silver of leather and hold a flame to it. If the resultant fire has a greenish flame, the leather has been tanned using a chrome process."

Last Edited:
And if I owned a gun that started pitting after the second day I'd either send it back or dump it fast and move on. I carry my Glock everyday appendix style and not even a spec of corrosion.

Sounds like a Kimber! Mine did this on the slide and grip safety. No matter what I did, it would rust. Finally got tired of it and had it ceracoated, and have not had any issues since! Certain alloys are prone to rust, and once it starts, it's damn near impossible to stop!

Two words...Renaissance Wax. And heck, even if it doesn't solve your problem, it's fantastic stuff and you'll find a ton of other uses for it. Don't let the price scare you. A little goes a long way and I'm only half way through the first can I bought four years ago. I've got a hard chromed 1911 where the chrome has worn through in the magwell. Gotta keep it waxed or the rust gets hold of it.

Beyond this, there are several anti rust agents out there like Birchwood Casey Sheath/Barricade...I believe they're the same thing...and they're supposed to be pretty good.

I'd probably also favor a kydex holster over a leather one and give it a good waxing once a week...or more if needed.

And if it really gets frustrating, you can always have it refinished in something like Severins Hard Hat or Np3 which are supposed to be awesome against rust.

Sorry about the late replies guys I appreciate every single person's input I knew you guys would be here to have my back much appreciated it's an ATI 1911 that probably explains most of it. And there wasn't any rust when I first got it I got it from a member here who took really really really good care of it so most of that would be on me and just like kruejl I only carried glocks no rust ever. And it seems like l84kbo has got the formula down. I will post pics of rust shortly

Sorry about the late replies guys I appreciate every single person's input I knew you guys would be here to have my back much appreciated it's an ATI 1911 that probably explains most of it. And there wasn't any rust when I first got it I got it from a member here who took really really really good care of it so most of that would be on me and just like kruejl I only carried glocks no rust ever. And it seems like l84kbo has got the formula down. I will post pics of rust shortly
I've carried an ATI Parkarized Commander in leather holsters without an issue... Not defending ATI, but the factory finish has help up well for me...

I'd be looking at the leather you carried it in...

Rust

20170611_213752_HDR.jpg

Yeah nammac I really like my ATI and fast it's the only gun I've never really thought of ever getting rid of I'm carrying a Galco inside the waistband holster would it help if I posted pictures of inside of the holster

Wow, even the grip screw is rusted. So, my best guess would be perspiration, especially if the holster isn't covering the thumb safety. Is the rust limited to the left side of the pistol?

Not trying to get personal, but do you wear any garments between you and the pistol/holster?

For me, I always wear some form of undershirt between my skin and the firearm... Even a small, unnoticed amount of perspiration can penetrate most mass produced holsters...

Horsehide is more resistant to moisture, and some holsters actually have a sweat barrier built in...

IWB holsters in leather are going to attract body moisture and skin salt. Unless you want to upgrade to stainless slide release and safety, your best bet is cerakote or NP3. In the meantime, OOOO steel wool all that rust and try baked-on Frog Lube. Pretty impressive video on YouTube showing it repel rust on a brake disc left out to weather.

Nammac yes it is only limited to the left side of the pistol the other side is actually Spot Free and yes I do wear an undergarment we're just like a regular t-shirt tucked in between my body and then my over shirt but I do work at a petrol station so running around all day

Dr. Strangelove would you mind explaining more about the NP3 coating to me is there only specific places that do that coating?

Np3 and Np3 Plus are done by Robar. They're the creators of it and I don't know if they have licensed anyone else to do it. But Robar would be my first choice if I was going to have this done. It's a heck of a finish by all accounts. You can read about it on their site, per the below link. You will note that it is more like a silver/stainless/hard chrome type color. If you wanted black, then Severin's Hard Hat might be good option. Or check with Robar and see if they do anything in black.

NP3® Firearm Finish | Robar Guns

Nammac yes it is only limited to the left side of the pistol the other side is actually Spot Free and yes I do wear an undergarment we're just like a regular t-shirt tucked in between my body and then my over shirt but I do work at a petrol station so running around all day
Sounds like you'll need cerakote or a similar coating, something that'll protect from the elements and perspiration.

I defer to those here who are much more knowledgeable than I in such coatings.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews