JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm trying to find a Safariland holster with specific features (HK P30, left hand, with Surefire X300U, in any color besides black or coyote), but have been unsuccessful. Their Holster Finder is mostly unhelpful. I can see the model numbers sometimes indicate a specific feature, but not consistently. I've tried contacting them and am waiting to – hopefully – hear back. I've also googled and found a few hits, but nothing convincing enough to risk spending $150 to test (I dunno, maybe a holster meant for a Glock 21 really does fit that guy's HK P30 "like a glove" o_O). How does anyone find what they're looking for? Can anyone explain Safariland's holster models, or is there a cheat sheet I haven't found yet?

Thanks!

Good luck, I had a similar situation when I was looking for a holster for a class I was taking. One of the instructors suggested a Safariland kydex holster with a finger retention release. The instructor from the gun store showed me a holster like what they recommended, but didn't have anything that would fit my gun. So I had to go though Safarilands website too. I think that I ended up Safariland for some help, and finally found a part number; which I ordered off of EBay.

I have dabbled in Safariland holsters over the past decade because it is the only holster brand I have ever been issued and I don't care to fudge up my draw. I have good news and bad news....

The good news is I can tell you about the model numbers (with a fair degree of confidence):

The four-digit holsters are duty holsters and the first digit denotes the variety of retention; 5XXX = a detent in the trigger guard, 6XXX = SLS/ALS retention system, 7XXX = 7TS.

Safariland's concealment holsters have three-digit model numbers and their active retention systems don't seem to be numbered.

The middle two numbers (in four-digit model numbers) or the first two digits (in three-digit model numbers) denote the actual model of holster. As far as I can tell, there is neither a logically-structured master list nor any decoder ring to make sense of how they choose the numbers. The model numbers don't seem to correspond to any makes/models of firearms, therefore, no one can tell which models of Safariland are offered for your gun. Searching through the 2017 Safariland "Master Catalog" may help narrow your search but it's not organized by model number.

The last digit of the model numbers appear to denote how the holster attaches to your body; XX1/XX3 = shoulder rigs, XX4 = thigh rig, XX5 = low-ride belt loop, XX6 = hi-ride belt loop, XX7 = injection molded belt loop, XX8 = combo pack, XX9 = belt clip.

The bad news is this, Safariland doesn't make a holster for a P30, with a tac-light, in any colors you may want. They do make a huge variety of holsters but they reserve the variety of colored holsters for the most commonly owned (read "issued") firearms; namely Glocks, Sigs, etc. Their Holster Finder looks like it's up-to-date.

I don't know H&K pistol geometry very well but I wouldn't bet that a holster molded for something other than a P30 will work for you. I don't even know if the two chamberings of the P30 vary in their exterior dimensions. (Probably not.)

I'd recommend cross-referencing a Holster Finder search with a search of OpticsPlant.com (OP). If you're not familiar with that website, their system is a little more cumbersome to deal with when browsing holsters but they have a ton of Safariland products and they're laid out in a more simple fashion (IMO).

My recommendation is, if you do select a Safariland holster, buy from OP because they have good customer service and the return policy is very accommodating. You may have to wait WEEKS to receive your holster if it's an obscure model and you being a lefty probably won't help your cause any in that department. For example, I waited more than a month (after ordering) a right-handed, foliage green, thigh rig for my G17+TLR1. OP does offer either an "In-stock" notice or an estimation on restocking time next to every item on the site.

Let me know if I might be of any additional help.

0GRE, out.

Last Edited:
You are in Portland - pop into the Blumenthal Uniform store (5.11 store) and talk to them in person - they are/were a retailer of Safariland holsters and may be able to help you out, and you can try them on to see if they work for you.

Not sure if there are still other police/security supply stores in Portland, bue Blumenthal's was the biggest with the best selection, at least they were when I was doing security work.

Safariland finally replied to my email, though it sounds like they read "P30" and "left handed" and missed everything else.

Does anyone know if I get a drop-leg model, can I swap the mounting hardware so it will go on a belt or on MOLLE?

Thanks to everyone for their help!

I don't have experience with the MOLLE platform but I have moved a holster from belt loop to thigh rig without trouble. I think Safariland keeps the same, three-screw attachment configuration for all their products.

Does anyone know if you can choose to not use, or simply remove the SLS hood thingy? I found a holster that should work, though it has SLS, and I'm not sure if I'll want or use it.

You can remove the rotating hood without effecting any other function of the holster, although it may leave some empty screw holes.

Last Edited:
I gave up looking for holsters that nuanced my particular requirements so started making my own with pleasing results stemming from accumulated efforts.
Here is my last holster just finished for a newly acquired G26:
IMGP0183.JPG
My arthritic hands balk at the sewing 1/2 inches of leather so rigged up a Tippmann Boss needle bought at Tandy Leather in my drill press along with a little creative fixture work ended up being faster than my hand sewing.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top