JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
My favorite quote till this day!

I've probably heard it a couple hundred times.

"I have the right to shoot in the woods."

This thread is priceless. I'm actually sad that the OP left the conversation.....

If they were paying taxes at the same rate as a homeowner, which they are not,

That's funny. Have you ever owned a farm? Paid the taxes on it?

I have and do. The rate is the same. The valuation of the land is the same whether it is a farm or not - except for the fact that many farm plots will not bring the same valuation as urban land of the same size - and the reason is simple; location. Washington county and many other parts of Oregon have restrictions on both farm and timber land as to what you can do with it.

The idea is that Oregon wants to preserve farm and timber land. So you cannot just go and subdivide the plots like you can urban land. You can't even put a dwelling on farmland unless the plot has at least $80K of farm income (and that was the amount 15 years ago when we sold our farm - the amount now is probably more).

I have ~20 acres, easily enough for two or three houses. I live in the only house that I can put on it. I might be able to put another house on it if it were a dwelling to close relatives and they worked on the land as a going agricultural concern. If they moved away, I think the house would have to be torn down. I can build another house here, but once it is finished and occupied, I have to remove the existing house.

I assure you, the percentage of valuation I pay on this property is the same percentage anybody else pays in the county. The valuation is about 75% in the land, despite a relatively modern (built in 1997) house with a nice 2K SF shop.

and they were getting taxed using the same valuation process a homeowner pays tax on, which they are not, and they didn't turn around and write off all the tax as a business expense then I would agree with your argument. You saying they pay the same tax as a private homeowner is patently false.

I don't think your assertion is true. I know it isn't for the property around me.

Ah the jokes that come to mind on that one..........farmers daughter etc.

Things must have really changed. The farmers daughter in the hayloft cost nothing when I was a teenager, the farmer had got his days work out of me, a swim in the pond after work and then had to throw some hay down for the cows. Afterwards. Today's youth will NEVER know how much fun that was.

Things must have really changed. The farmers daughter in the hayloft cost nothing when I was a teenager, the farmer had got his days work out of me, a swim in the pond after work and then had to throw some hay down for the cows. Afterwards. Today's youth will NEVER know how much fun that was.

'Merica!

A lot of big timber companies that own land used to be pretty laid back about letting the public use it. The problem is so many leave garbage behind or worse. So they started charging people to use it to deter the general population from destroying it.

It is, afterall, their land and not yours.
7958.jpeg

Honestly? Maybe it could be a good thing... I mean... have you seen the mounds of trash left by irresponsible people in National and State Forests, as well as along the areas of popular hiking trails???

On one hand, boo that a company decided that only company shareholders or similarly wealthy people can make use of the land and enjoy the access without the public's "interference"... on the other hand..it may be better for the property, if it is not being logged :rolleyes: logging makes good money, but what to do to make the property bring income between logging seasons or some such? Why not make it paid access, prepaid, prepared camp sites for those wealthy enough or in debt enough to enjoy....

Again, not saying you're wrong or right, it may simply be a symptom of treating the lands as resources to make income from.
$2600 a year to lease an area that will accommodate that many campers / RV rigs is not "rich people stuff", just sayin' ...

Status

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads