JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
So long as not one dollar of my tax money goes to fight fires on this land, I guess that makes sense.

I guess you won't mind then when the forest fire comes onto your land and burns down your house?

They pay property taxes just like anybody else, but some of the tax is deferred until they harvest the crop and then it is paid. That is optional - the landowner can choose to pay it yearly instead.

So long as not one dollar of my tax money goes to fight fires on this land, I guess that makes sense.

If I lived in Vancouver, would not my tax dollars go toward fighting the fire at your house? Does that give me the right to set up camp at your place without permission?

E

Where I live we are surrounded by 140k+ acres of Weyerhaeuser property.

Four years ago Weyerhaeuser started their permit system for the Columbia Timberlands. Permit cost is $300 annually. I have purchased the permit every year it has been available. It gives me access 51 weeks out of the year for hunting, camping, fishing, wood cutting, etc., etc.....I consider it a cheap price to pay for what I get in return.

Weyerhaeuser also happens to be a publicly traded company. I own Weyerhaeuser stock, which in addition to the value of the stock also has a dividend yield of 6.02. Weyerhaeuser pays me to own their stock which in turn pays my permit fee.

Where some of you see lemons, I see lemonade.

20190505_202031.jpg

Four years ago Weyerhaeuser started their permit system for the Columbia Timberlands. Permit cost is $300 annually. I have purchased the permit every year it has been available. It gives me access 51 weeks out of the year for hunting, camping, fishing, wood cutting, etc., etc.....I consider it a cheap price to pay for what I get in return.

Weyerhaeuser also happens to be a publicly traded company. I own Weyerhaeuser stock, which in addition to the value of the stock also has a dividend yield of 6.02. Weyerhaeuser pays me to own their stock which in turn pays my permit fee.

View attachment 576759

Logic has no place in this thread! Feelings only!

:D

Six pages of some folks not understanding "private property" and private property rights. The entitlement mentality is quite strong. Just because you could once take advantage of something a land owner allowed or ignored does not mean you get to do it in perpetuity. Were I to afford a million acres of timber, I'd damn well have well armed security patrolling the thing and keeping everyone out who didn't have my express permission to be there. I'd not be willing or happy to clean up other people's messes on my land, have my trees, streams, and lakes trashed, fires started, or have people squatting. If the water ways through it are navigable, there's no preventing someone floating through, or being on the ground to the high water mark. The high water mark would damn well be marked and enforced. Too many people these days don't want to take responsibility for their own actions, and don't care for others property like it was their own, and too many are quick to sue.

Some freeloading camper gets hurt or killed on your property, who gets sued? Not the dumbass who got hurt or did the killing, it'll be the land owner.

$2600 for a years worth of camping is damn cheap - even for a dry tent spot. The last time we went camping, the site was $40 a night to have a tent and an RV on it. To be allowed 8 RV's at once on that spot pretty much any time you want, year round? That's $7 a day for the lease. 1/6th the cost of a commercial camp site.

If you want camping access in the woods - stick to public land (which is restricted, BTW and subject to a host of regulations depending on if you're doing dispersed camping or staying in a campground, and you're typically limited to a 14 day stay at a given time) or buy your own slice of heaven. Don't gripe because you can't freeload on private property. The situation is not unique, it's happened hundreds of places all over the US, be glad you're in the western US where there is still lots of public land - move to Texas and public land is very, very scarce and if you want to hunt or fish - you better have friends, or you're going to be entering a lease of some sort.

View attachment 576759

I got some vodka.

Six pages of some folks not understanding "private property" and private property rights. The entitlement mentality is quite strong. Just because you could once take advantage of something a land owner allowed or ignored does not mean you get to do it in perpetuity. Were I to afford a million acres of timber, I'd damn well have well armed security patrolling the thing and keeping everyone out who didn't have my express permission to be there. I'd not be willing or happy to clean up other people's messes on my land, have my trees, streams, and lakes trashed, fires started, or have people squatting. If the water ways through it are navigable, there's no preventing someone floating through, or being on the ground to the high water mark. The high water mark would damn well be marked and enforced. Too many people these days don't want to take responsibility for their own actions, and don't care for others property like it was their own, and too many are quick to sue.

Some freeloading camper gets hurt or killed on your property, who gets sued? Not the dumbass who got hurt or did the killing, it'll be the land owner.

$2600 for a years worth of camping is damn cheap - even for a dry tent spot. The last time we went camping, the site was $40 a night to have a tent and an RV on it. To be allowed 8 RV's at once on that spot pretty much any time you want, year round? That's $7 a day for the lease. 1/6th the cost of a commercial camp site.

If you want camping access in the woods - stick to public land (which is restricted, BTW and subject to a host of regulations depending on if you're doing dispersed camping or staying in a campground, and you're typically limited to a 14 day stay at a given time) or buy your own slice of heaven. Don't gripe because you can't freeload on private property. The situation is not unique, it's happened hundreds of places all over the US, be glad you're in the western US where there is still lots of public land - move to Texas and public land is very, very scarce and if you want to hunt or fish - you better have friends, or you're going to be entering a lease of some sort.

It was actually six pages of people emphasizing private property rights.

If they were paying taxes at the same rate as a homeowner, which they are not, and they were getting taxed using the same valuation process a homeowner pays tax on, which they are not, and they didn't turn around and write off all the tax as a business expense then I would agree with your argument. You saying they pay the same tax as a private homeowner is patently false.

If it meant that all of the people working on the farms were here legally and not 80% reliant on welfare from the moment they crossed the desert, then yes I would gladly pay more for groceries!

An answer to a different question than you asked, yes.

Status

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads