JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Went to Campbell Lake in Lake County Oregon yesterday. It's a beautiful little high mountain lake with crystal water outside of the berg of Bly 30 miles into the Mountains.

There was a big hatch of some kind of little fly. Dead ones covered the water. I got there a about 6:30 am. I should have slept a little longer. I was fishing out of my kayak. Trout were jumping all over the lake but not hitting. About 10 a breeze came up. I was floating a royal coachman behind a chartreuse bobber. They were even hitting the bobber. I sat in one spot and limited (5 fish) in eight minutes not counting the three or four that got off. One jumped out of the kayak. Scrappy rascals. I fished c/r until it started feeling like work. Nothing huge. 12 inch brookies. One guy was fishing the bottom with worms and catching nice sized rainbows, 18 inches or more. Deadhorse Lake is two miles further. ODFG always stocks some trophy rainbows there a couple of times during the summer. The no fee camp grounds have privies but no water. Not many no fee campgrounds left in this State.

Good fishing.
But for us it would be
6 h 1 min (318.7 mi) via US-26 E and US-97 S driving for 5 fish and only 8 minutes of fun. Trying to figure how to make that one work :D
I love to fish, but also like to catch enough vs distance to make it worthwhile. Sure wish we lived up in the central Oregon regions sometimes, but then I would miss my springer fishing too LOL.

12" Brookies ARE huge, best eatin' fresh water trout-type fish there is too! If your fry pan is 10"...... I'd take 12" Brookies over 18" rainbow any day.

I agree 100 percent. Why the Brookie is maligned by the ODFG I'll never know but I hope they keep doing it. In east side streams where there is a ridiculous one rainbow limit you are allowed five brookies. In my opinion the rainbow is an inferior fish. The one rainbow I caught was softer than the brookies when I cleaned it. It was probably raised in a hatchery and released before labor day weekend. The brookies were bright solid fish and they are more flavorful. in my opinion.

Taku:
Yeah, but if I want to go sturgeon fishing I have to drive 300 miles to the Oregon border to catch a fish I will probably have to release.

Brookies are excellent eaters, many lakes have no limit! Their not a native species to Oregon which is why the liberal (don't use that word much without a curse word included) limits.
Flour/salt/pepper a cube of butter in a fry pan,,, now that's living man.

For what it's worth, the Brook trout is a Char. Their are only 3 true trout in Oregon, the Cutthroat, Rainbow and the Brown.

I totally agree with you guy's, Brooks are my favorite eating fish. Nice firm, pink flesh and tasty lil suckers. :s0072:I caught a 15'' whopper Brook at Fish Lake on a Triple Teaser from the shore. The fishing was dead and then just as the Lightning storm started, wham, that sucker struck and a nice fight too. :s0071: I had another whopper hit as soon as I unhooked the first one and cast my lure back in the water, but Dang It , I lost him ! :s0075:The guy at the Fish Lake Lodge took my picture with that Brook and he said all the years he's been there that was the biggest and fattest Brook he ever saw ! :s0108:I was King S&!T that day and I wish I had pics, that Brook had his head and tail hangin out over the sides of a 12'' fryin pan, and was a tasty fish. :s0059: :s0145:

I totally agree with you guy's, Brooks are my favorite eating fish. Nice firm, pink flesh and tasty lil suckers. :s0072:I caught a 15'' whopper Brook at Fish Lake on a Triple Teaser from the shore. The fishing was dead and then just as the Lightning storm started, wham, that sucker struck and a nice fight too. :s0071: I had another whopper hit as soon as I unhooked the first one and cast my lure back in the water, but Dang It , I lost him ! :s0075:The guy at the Fish Lake Lodge took my picture with that Brook and he said all the years he's been there that was the biggest and fattest Brook he ever saw ! :s0108:I was King S&!T that day and I wish I had pics, that Brook had his head and tail hangin out over the sides of a 12'' fryin pan, and was a tasty fish. :s0059: :s0145:

Way hard to beat summer steelhead & Kokanee....
IMHO.

I think the limits are different because brookies arent a native species to the west coast. Oregon, and to a lesser extent Washington, really frown on "invasive species".

As a guy who mostly fishes for smallmouth and walleye, i have to hear it constantly from the salmon and steelhead snobs.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top