JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
When I first started carrying I was a little "caliber confused" I personally I enjoy each caliber for different reasons. When choosing a carry gun though things got a little "confusing" you hear and read so many times I didn't know what to believe at the end of the day I found 9mm suit me best. I enjoyed the journey of figuring out what gun worked best for me. I have owned 9mm 40 s&w and 45 ACP guns so Every time I would get a new caliber I would crack up laughing at this whole caliber debate. Figured I'd share some clips

This debate has been going on for years and will continue to do so. There is no confusion really, carry and shoot what you shoot the best. It's really that easy.

This debate has been going on for years and will continue to do so. There is no confusion really, carry and shoot what you shoot the best. It's really that easy.
Well stated. Every caliber has its pros and cons whatever your comfortable with. I find it funny when people get heated of the debate to me it's all the same thing as long as it's reliable.

And then just when you think you have it all figured out, someone busts your ballz about caliber ? or cartridge ?

Your 9mm Luger cartridge takes the same CALIBER projectile (bullet) as .357 SIG for example.

A .357 Magnum cartridge takes the same CALIBER bullet as 38 Special.

A 6.5 Creedmoor cartridge takes the same CALIBER bullet as a 26 Nosler.

And it's that way all the way through the family of bullets.

Cartridge = What your firearm is chambered for
Caliber = Diameter of bullet (projectile)

DD
Sorry, it just sounds half-baked to me when someone interchanges "caliber" and "cartridge"
Maybe too many years handloading !

you will never successfully argue someone's sports team affiliation.
you may get them to concede that your team has merit, but that's about it.

same with ford/chevy, mac/pc, taste-great/less-filling, etc.

"Wait, wait, wait, wait... are you trying to tell me they make other rounds than the .45?"

:D

Hadn't seen these, tho Noir is one of my go-to sites for 2A news.

And then just when you think you have it all figured out, someone busts your ballz about caliber ? or cartridge ?

Your 9mm Luger cartridge takes the same CALIBER projectile (bullet) as .357 SIG for example.

A .357 Magnum cartridge takes the same CALIBER bullet as 38 Special.

A 6.5 Creedmoor cartridge takes the same CALIBER bullet as a 26 Nosler.

And it's that way all the way through the family of bullets.

Cartridge = What your firearm is chambered for
Caliber = Diameter of bullet (projectile)

DD
Sorry, it just sounds half-baked to me when someone interchanges "caliber" and "cartridge"
Maybe too many years handloading !
Well, that reduced me to just a few handgun "calibers" quickly...

.38/.357/.380/9mm/.38 Super
.45 Long Colt/.45 ACP
.22 LR

:s0092:

Last Edited:
I have 9mm, .40 and .45 ACP SIGs - all metal frame DA/SA handguns and all of them are very similar except for the 2022/2340 and the 224 (a compact .40) - so pretty much the major difference is the caliber.

I used to dismiss the .40 as an uncommon or unpopular cartridge, but now it is my favorite because, if you look at the numbers, it is about equivalent to the .45 ACP, but in my subjective testing, the recoil is much closer to 9mm than .45 ACP - I can't really tell much difference between 9mm 115 gr loads and .40 180 gr loads, but I can certainly tell the difference between .40 and .45 ACP.

I don't feel under-gunned with any of those calibers. I have those calibers and others (.357 mag, .44, etc.) because I am a prepper and I want the common calibers in my guns for ammo availability/interchangeability reasons. Also, when I run out of the 7K rounds of .40 ammo I have, I can fall back on 9mm (I can put a 9mm barrel in my .40 SIGs and shoot 9mm just fine). Or if I find myself in a situation where everybody else is shooting 9mm and I want to be able to swap ammo with them in a tactical situation, then I can just switch to 9mm.

The only downside of .40 for me is that I lose about 3-4 rounds of capacity compared to the 9mm mags for my guns.

So *shrug* - I have what I have and I don't worry about the caliber.

No I will not be drawn into a best pistol cartridge debate again.
No I will not be drawn into a best pistol cartridge debate again....

No I will not be drawn into a best pistol cartridge debate again....
1911glock.png

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads