JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Recently decided to take 1 sip of Coca Cola. Didn't like the taste at all. Gave the rest to my wife.
I like the Coca Cola made with real sugar but limit my self to one bottle for our families happy hour on Fridays only. I also like root beer made with real sugar as well.

I like the Coca Cola made with real sugar but limit my self to one bottle for our families happy hour on Fridays only. I also like root beer made with real sugar as well.
That's a treat. Every random blue moon we get a six pack of the glass bottle root beers to enjoy.

Unfortunately, I haven't found an AW up here that has the really thick and creamy root beer on tap. The one down in Sparks NV would serve up the stuff off the tap in frozen mugs.

"Mexican" Coke. Good stuff.
By Coke I mean Coca-Cola.
The other one's decent too
That's the stuff. They use real sugar instead of corn syrup. Makes all the difference. Costco has it.

I just can't help but think, the week or two after everyone runs out of alcohol or coffee, things are going to get harry!
I started getting into preparedness following the 2011 Fukashima earthquake and tsunami.... One of the first things I did was cut my daily coffee intake in half so that I wouldn't be so messed up if, one day, I woke up and couldn't make any. I figured that the last thing I'd need, following an earthquake, was an incapacitating headache or other withdrawal symptoms.

For your preps or camping or whatnot, I want to HIGHLY recommend the Trader Joe's brand of powdered instant coffee, it is very nearly as good as fresh brewed.

I started getting into preparedness following the 2011 Fukashima earthquake and tsunami.... One of the first things I did was cut my daily coffee intake in half so that I wouldn't be so messed up if, one day, I woke up and couldn't make any. I figured that the last thing I'd need, following an earthquake, was an incapacitating headache or other withdrawal symptoms.

For your preps or camping or whatnot, I want to HIGHLY recommend the Trader Joe's brand of powdered instant coffee, it is very nearly as good as fresh brewed.
I have some Nescafe and bought a bottle of Taster's Choice from Costco. I also have some Costco ground Columbia Coffee but have not used up all of the coffee beans that I got from my family for Christmas.

@Reno are you cutting caffeine cold turkey or cutting back?

I was down to just one 20 Oz tumbler for years but during the past couple months I'm up to two 20 Oz coffee... no cream, just sugar.

@Reno are you cutting caffeine cold turkey or cutting back?

I was down to just one 20 Oz tumbler for years but during the past couple months I'm up to two 20 Oz coffee... no cream, just sugar.
Cold.

I'm on day 9.

The first two didn't feel that bad. After that it hit hard.

Full on crack addict withdrawal symptoms. Was shivering next to the fire place one second, overheated the next, like some lady going through menopause! Headaches were fierce! Stomach in knots. bubblegum sucks.

Yesterday was a bit better, same with today.

Driving herbal teas to get the hot liquid fix.

To note, I worked at Starbucks part time while I was full time at UPS and going to college for 3 years. Developed a hardcore coffee addiction. I drank the stuff non stop all day at my desk job after I left UPS. bubblegum, probably 20 years, give it take, of constant caffeine consumption.

I grew up Navy brat, then Navy 2nd Gen Submariner so I'm familiar with the caffeine and alcohol attachments. Since becoming a civilian I've tapered off to occasional drinking and down to 1 tumbler of coffee up until the cancer.

It's the ease of availability and the lack of stigma that gets people addicted to caffeine.

I'm at the point now that the only way I drink soda is if it's a mixer.

Stay strong @Reno , you got this.

I get up really early, and don't stop too much until bed, so caffeine is a necessary evil for me. I find that the caffeine in and of itself isn't too bad, it's the carrier that I need to be careful of.

I do a cup and a half or so of strong coffee with a splash of H&H when I get up, then a cup of black coffee about 3.5 hrs later, then I've been doing one of these hippie energy shots around 1:00 or 2:00 before the gym.

I get up really early, and don't stop too much until bed, so caffeine is a necessary evil for me. I find that the caffeine in and of itself isn't too bad, it's the carrier that I need to be careful of.

I do a cup and a half or so of strong coffee with a splash of H&H when I get up, then a cup of black coffee about 3.5 hrs later, then I've been doing one of these hippie energy shots around 1:00 or 2:00 before the gym.

When I was working line haul I'd be up every morning at 2am. Let's say there were days where I had my "before I left the house" coffee to go with my stop at "the fixer" coffee shop on the way in. Then I'd usually stop and get a refill along the way somewhere, if not an energy drink of some sort. Delivery and truckers and caffeine are like peanut butter and jelly.

When I was working line haul I'd be up every morning at 2am. Let's say there were days where I had my "before I left the house" coffee to go with my stop at "the fixer" coffee shop on the way in. Then I'd usually stop and get a refill along the way somewhere, if not an energy drink of some sort. Delivery and truckers and caffeine are like peanut butter and jelly.

Yep. It's a rough life

Luckily, I don't get any effects from caffeine withdrawals. I drink 6 cups a day (36oz). If I go out if town or on vacation, (or forget to replenish) I skip caffeine all together. I've never had a headache or any noticeable effects. If I did get withdrawals, I'd cut it way back; absolutely hate headaches.

Most of those ingredients go into my green protein smoothie in the morning along with half my veggies for the day.

My most heartfelt sympathy and support to anyone who tries to free themselves of the influence of any vice. Life is no easy road, and we all have our coping mechanisms.

I did the variety plate of vices in my younger years. Was fortunate enough to walk away from most of it. Some may disagree with me, but I've come to the opinion that a drug is a drug, and caffeine is no exception. I used to laugh at the Mormons for their "Word of Wisdom" about caffeine and nicotine, but now, I think they had something with that.

At times of my life I have thought that sobriety (from any drug) was highly over rated, But I can honestly say that the benefits far out weighed the cons. And in my case it was erratic mood swings from withdrawl that I would bring home to my family. And that was only with caffeine.

Good luck to any of you all out there trying to quit any vice, be it nicotine or just caffeine.

I'm no doctor, but for me, it was lots and lots of water, lots of fresh veggies (with no goopy dressings), whole grains like wild rice...
basically a low carb, moderate sugar diet. And keep your sugar REAL, not that fructose corn syrup crap that is put into everything. Make sure your soda pop says "cane sugar" or "sugar" and not fructose or corn syrup of any kind.

Also, a moderate regimen of vitamin supplements can help, especially your B vitamins. This can turn into complex can of worms as vitamins or more like a personal cocktail rather than a single magic pill, so do your research.

If you do not have a physically arduous job, do some cardio as often as you can to sweat out and detox yourself. Detox is important. Poop and piss and especially SWEAT is important to detoxing.

I did all this when I choose to quit smoking 25 years ago, so I figure it should work pretty well with caffeine.

Lastly be observant of how you feel from day to day. Not just the negative but the positive.
Without the caffeine, you may drag a bit in the morning . Everyone misses that crackhead "zooommm..." one gets from a good cup of Joe, but as the body detoxes, you may start to feel other benefits. For me it was more stable sleeping patterns, waking up easier in the morning, less pain in my joints and swelling in my hands, and my temper was much more in check at the end of the day.

I apologize once again for my mini novels... I like to write when I have time.
And good luck!

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads