JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Dry-Storage-Ammunition-Box/740706.uts

In-store or by mail.

I got a bunch of these already. Been using them for most everything (ammo, gun parts, knives, books, powder, primers, batteries) for over a year now. Love 'em. Gonna get some more now, 'cause Cabela's rarely puts these on sale anymore. Time to jump!

For those of you who haven't tried them, I highly recommend them. They're "handy as a pocket on a shirt". Watertight as a duck's rear end. Holds almost twice as much as a GI steel .50cal ammo can. They stack solid and stable. You can store standard 8.5"x11" documents in one without folding.

Buy a baker's dozen (13) or more and they'll ship 'em to you free anywhere in the lower 48.

I don't know how long these are on sale for or how the long free shipping. So sooner is better than later if you want these.

I just bought a few for that price at the Tualatin Cabelas. The price on the display and at the register is $14.99, but if you show them the on-line ad, they'll sell them to you for the advertised price ($7.99).

You can get them through Amazon or Walmart for $4.99 They are the Plano Field Box

Nope. o_O

Plano Field Box inside dimensions per:
http://www.amazon.com/Plano-Molding-1312-Field-Box/dp/B005IURN5M Price $7.99
W: 3.750, L: 9.125, H 5.750 = 197 cu in (slightly less capacity than a GI .30cal can)
and feedback notes they are not very waterproof

Cabela's Dry Storage Box inside dimensions:
W: 6.25, L: 12.5, H: 8.5 = 767 cu in
More than 3x
the capacity of the Plano box

PLEASE NOTE: Free Cabela's shipping expired yesterday. I tolya ya shoulda moved quick! The cans themselves are still on for $7.99 for those near a Cabela's. Tell the cashier about the website price and they will match it.

I have over a dozen of the Plano field boxes and the larger MTMs (.50 cal. size).

The Planos are indeed slightly smaller than a metal .30 cal. box.

If you want the slightly larger ones from Cabelas then ok. Make your choice and pay your money. I am guessing they made by the same manufacturer - they look identical.

Amazon has the Plano field boxes on sale as "add on items" from time to time for $4.99, but they only let you buy four. Walmart matches their price when they do that and they let you buy 12. I don't usually buy from Walmart, but I ordered a dozen from them when Amazon wouldn't let me buy more.

I bought the larger MTM boxes for $11 each from Amazon too. I have enough for now.

When I went came into Wilsonville the back way (from Sherwood) Monday, I drove past a place that had a bunch of metal .50 cal ammo boxes out on a pallet with a for sale sign. I didn't have time to stop.

I have over a dozen of the Plano field boxes and the larger MTMs (.50 cal. size).

(SIGH) "It's so hard to make them understand." :(

USGI .50 can
Inside Dimensions:
L: 11 x W: 5.5 x H: 6.5 = 408 cu in

MTM 50 Caliber can inside dimensions: per: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0051F905U
L: 11 x W: 5.8 x H: 7.2 = 459 cu in
Price: $9.95
+ ship - $15.03 shipped

Cabela's Dry Storage Box inside
dimensions:
W: 6.25, L: 12.5, H: 8.5 = 767 cu in
Price: $7.99
+ ship, or no shipping in-store purchase
88% larger than USGI .50 can
67% larger than MTM .50 cal can

"What are the facts? Again and again and again - what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what 'the stars foretold,' avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable 'verdict of history' - What are the facts and to how many decimal places?" - Robert A. Heinlein

"God is in the details." - From _Weapons Of Mass Distraction_

Oh, btw, I forgot to put in the original post:
The Cabela's can holds 24 (!) 30-rd AK magazines, loaded or not, like it was made for it!

I guess I should add here I have NO commercial or personal interest in either Cabela's or the company that makes their Dry Storage Box. I just know an excellent (!) deal when I see it and believe in passing good deals along.

Of course, "your mileage may vary."

Mea culpa

I was only looking at the photo on the page, which looked exactly like the Plano field boxes and assuming it was therefore the same size.

As you pointed out, it is much larger than even the MTM 50 cal boxes.

So I ordered 11 of them plus a BSA red dot for a .22 rifle to take it over $100 to get the free shipping.

The Plano boxes are okay - at least the 30 cal size is. They can hold as much lead as you can stuff in them. None of these boxes, not even the Pelicans, can be abused to the degree that the metal equivalents can. But they are good enough for ammo storage, and if you don't abuse them, they can be used for transport.

Members are allowed to ask whatever they want for items posted in the classified sections. If you don't like the price of an item, simply move on. Posting negative comments will result in the revocation of your classified privileges.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top