JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
When I got my FFL I had to go through this dealing with some old non- issue from my way back when past. After a couple phone calls that obviously weren't going anywhere, I took a day going back and forth from Oregon City City Hall and Clackamas county courthouse. Back and forth a couple times to figure out what each entity needed for the other and making it so. Once i got everyone to document that they had no interest in me I sent the whole package to the FBI agent that was investigating me. Once she read it she said I see what happened and will take care of it". A few weeks later I got my FFL and as a side benefit now my firearm purchase back ground checks go right thru.

No help from my end but I can sure understand. I have a friend with a CCW in Wa and has been held on EVERY buy in the past 7 years. No reason, no rationale, no explanation. Clean record. No rejects but..WTH?

Dan

No help from my end but I can sure understand. I have a friend with a CCW in Wa and has been held on EVERY buy in the past 7 years. No reason, no rationale, no explanation. Clean record. No rejects but..WTH?

Dan

Does anyone know if WA has their own background check system. If not, and the check is merely the NICS check done by FFLs, he should apply for a NICS VAF and UPIN. Appeals and VAF | Federal Bureau of Investigation. Could easily be that he has a similar name as a prohibited person.

Does anyone know if WA has their own background check system.
The WSP is supposed to have one by the end of next month, to "support" the law as passed by SHB 2555, but it's pretty plain to see that that ain't happenin'.

Thank gawd my only arrest was 40 years ago, when they still used paper!
Had to do a background check as part of both adoptions for my kids, and I had to write to Daytona Beach for the arrest record and disposition.
I get a letter back saying they have no record of my arrest. I still have that original letter in my doc safe and PDFs of it in several hard drives...

Does anyone know if WA has their own background check system. If not, and the check is merely the NICS check done by FFLs, he should apply for a NICS VAF and UPIN. Appeals and VAF | Federal Bureau of Investigation. Could easily be that he has a similar name as a prohibited person.

In my understanding:

Washington State conducts their own background checks on handguns and "assault rifles" (all semi auto Rifles). It's decentralized and essentially the CLEO is responsible for conducting the background checks through the WSP.

Manually operated rifles, shotguns and lowers (until 1 June) go through NICS.

On 1 June, lowers will go through the same process as handguns, including licensing (aka registration).

There is a motion to streamline the background checks for local law to close "background check loopholes"

That is just gonna be one, huge, clusterbubblegum. But then again, it's all part of their anti plan and baked right in ...

Thank gawd my only arrest was 40 years ago, when they still used paper!
Had to do a background check as part of both adoptions for my kids, and I had to write to Daytona Beach for the arrest record and disposition.
I get a letter back saying they have no record of my arrest. I still have that original letter in my doc safe and PDFs of it in several hard drives...
Reminds me of a case I once had. Clinet's license had been revoke for several years for out of state DUIs and he was cited for driving on a revoked license. At the time, out of state convictins could be challenged in CA courts. I wrote for his records and was told that the out of state court house had burned down several years before and there were no records. Because the local (CA DA) could not refute my client's claim of the unconstitutionality of his out of state convictions, my client got his CA DL. With a DL he was able to obtain insurance and stopped being an uninsured driver.

Reed and sobo,
Clusterbubblegum is probably and understatement. I am not familiar with WA law, but I do not see a way to avoid a NICS check on any firearm transferred by an FFL. In CA, the FFL does the background check through CA DOJ, which intern does the NICS check with FBI approval in addition to checking CA databases. If WA wants to do their own BG checks, fine, but IMHO the NICS check still needs to be done and WA officials need FBI approval to handle the NICS check where the firearm is transfered by an FFL. I do not see how a decentralized check by local law enforcement agencies could satisfy the federal requirements placed on FFLs.

Reed and sobo,
Clusterbubblegum is probably and understatement. I am not familiar with WA law, but I do not see a way to avoid a NICS check on any firearm transferred by an FFL. In CA, the FFL does the background check through CA DOJ, which intern does the NICS check with FBI approval in addition to checking CA databases. If WA wants to do their own BG checks, fine, but IMHO the NICS check still needs to be done and WA officials need FBI approval to handle the NICS check where the firearm is transfered by an FFL. I do not see how a decentralized check by local law enforcement agencies could satisfy the federal requirements placed on FFLs.

I'm not an FFL, and I'm sure at some point the FBI conducts their check. But they're not the one who theLGS calls the background check into.
Washington is also rejecting purchases and CPLs for juvenile diversions and plea bargains.

Because it's decentralized right now, the local interpretation of the law is what is used, and as long as it more stringent than NICS, it's legal.

It's the opposite end of the spectrum as to what States like Arizona used to do.

Their concealed carry card included a federal background check, so the card superseded the background check at the time Of purchase

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top