JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
No, the politicians in CA exempted themselves the other day from the laws they just passed on the commeners. They also gave themselves a raise too.

No, the politicians in CA exempted themselves the other day from the laws they just passed on the commeners. They also gave themselves a raise too.
SB 610 from October 2011.
The section below was REMOVED before it was passed and signed into law.
(b) The good cause requirement shall be deemed met for either the following:
(1) Any applicant who is a member of Congress, a statewide elected official, or a Member of the Legislature, for protection or self-defense.
(2) The licensing authority fails to make a determination of good cause within 30-days of the application.

SB 610 from October 2011.
The section below was REMOVED before it was passed and signed into law.
(b) The good cause requirement shall be deemed met for either the following:
(1) Any applicant who is a member of Congress, a statewide elected official, or a Member of the Legislature, for protection or self-defense.
(2) The licensing authority fails to make a determination of good cause within 30-days of the application.
And there you have it, exempt from the rules applied to their subjects...

Let me find the article. They did something a couple days ago.

Edit: it was in 2011, there are stories out there that make it seem like last Wed.

Last Edited:
Silva, 42, refused to address timeline gaps, citing an ongoing investigation, but asserted, "as soon as I realized that my gun was missing, and I wasn't going to be able to recover it, I reported it."
(emphasis mine)

The AND part makes me think he didn't report it right away...

This is the second gun case from a California Politian. Either this year or late last year wasn't there a state Rep that was busted running guns from Asia? I think it was the Philippines.

Silva, who is running for re-election, told FOX40 "it's just silly" for people to present him as a negligent gun owner, insisting he stores his trigger-locked weapons in a closet and out of the reach of his young son.

"Most gun owners, unless you're sleeping with your weapon at nighttime or unless you're a public safety officer, chances are you're not checking your gun every single day," Silva said in the Monday interview, admitting he didn't check on his weapons daily.

Yeah dipsquat, most responsible gun owners have their guns "Secured" NOT in a closet! And WEAPONS?? You got more firearms there for easy taking?

Idiot!

Having both lived and worked in Stockton, this guy is a complete idiot. He has had controversy after controversy since taking office and has done nothing positive for the city. The police and fire guys all think he is a just a street thug.

He deserves to have charges for negligence.

Two guns were stolen, IN "SEPARATE INCIDENTS!" WTF, I'd like to hear more about that!
This guy sounds like a typical, political, goof ball, who got into politics because he was flexible morally and couldn't do anything else because of incompetence! :mad:

I grew up in Stockton. In the gold rush days it was a wide open town (think of the TV series "Deadwood") and remained so until the 1950's. Even then, it was "anything goes as long as you keep it south of main street". When my parents arrived there in 1940 they had little money so they would go downtown on Saturday night to watch the fights, not organized boxing, but the street fights. They would park near a particular intersection and watch the alcoholics, pimps, prostitutes, and drug dealers squabble over turf and insults. Stockton had the 4th highest murder rate in the nation at that time. It had a water front, a Chinatown, and a skid row, all of which were populated by merchant seamen, illegal immigrants, migrant farm workers, braceros, farm labor contractors, pimps, prostitutes, and drug dealers. It's the realistic setting for the boxing movie "Fat City" and the classic movie "Cool Hand Luke".

As a high school kid my friends and I would go downtown to play pool because it was cheaper than out in the squeaky clean suburbs. We went to a place called Ziegler's, which was directly across the street from where Paul Newman was cutting the heads off of parking meters in the movie "Cool Hand Luke". At Ziegler's you could shoot pool for 10¢ a game and buy anything else you might want with no questions asked. They were also the only place in town with a 9' snooker table. Yes, we sometimes had to relocate a passed out drunk in order to play, but we liked the place. We learned situational awareness before we knew what that was. We learned how not to look like a victim waiting to be victimized. We learned to look like we belonged where we were and had a reason to be there.

As a young adult I got involved in local politics. Seeing how the sausage was made, I can tell you that local politics in Stockton was on a level with the activities of Tony Soprano, even into the 1970's. We had a city council member who owned a liquor store and the slums next to it, was a pimp and a drug dealer, and was also the chairman of the police commission. Only his girls could work Main Street. He got elected by offering a free bottle of booze or $5 to anyone who would give him a signed blank absentee ballot. It took 5000 votes to get elected in his district. And yet he was highly respected in local political circles because if you bought his vote you could count on him staying bought come hell or high water.

I once contemplated running for mayor there, and was not surprised to receive death threats by phone if I were to run.

And yet this rather benign system of corruption and institutionalized graft can be looked back on with a certain wistful nostalgia, because by the 1990's the serious drug gangs moved in and the city became a shooting gallery, a war zone. This new and ruthless atmosphere dispensed with the back room deals and bribery in favor of sheer brute force and murder. This is when the police threw up their hands and admitted to the populace, "We can't protect you."

Things have apparently not gotten any better. I'm glad to have left Stockton 25 years ago, though I still have relatives there. They wonder why I never come to visit.

Last Edited:
YOWZER!! You must be REALLY old! :s0084:

:D
Graduated from A.A. Stagg High School in 1965. You do the math.:)

When I was racing cars at local circle tracks in that area there were a whole lot of country/western bars where they believed that if you didn't get into a fight on a Saturday night you didn't have a good time.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads