JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This article is interesting on several levels. It's got it all: Illegal immigration, government informants, gun making (with 80% lowers?), reloading ("ammo factory").

I'm not defending this guy or his actions, but in this era of red flag laws, I think it's sad that you can be judged a threat to society because you talk to your dog.

"Federal prosecutors, who successfully argued during that same hearing that Pratchard presented a danger to society and should be held without bond, pointed to a recording of him talking to his dog."

RELOADERS WITH PETS BEWARE! LOL

While I may not agree with federal firearms policy, this guy was in clear violation of several fed statutes and now faces the consequences of his actions. This article makes one wonder how many government informers participate and monitor this site. Maybe folks should ease up on the "I will not comply!" rhetoric. Had this person kept his actions private, he would probably still be doing them.

On a side note...AR Addiction, the struggle is real.

Hi. My name is George and I am an AR addict...:D

re: Recording of him talking to his dog... What exactly was he saying? "You're right, Fido. I should kill them all!!!"

He had "...enough gunpowder to manufacture nearly 9,000 rounds of ammunition." Which isn't against the law. Is that a lot of ammunition? I guess some people think so.

The guy had lots of problems. DD from the USMC; a DD is not that easy to get these days.

There's a renewed lesson here re. right wing fringe organizations. That is, it must be assumed that all or most are infiltrated by federal informants or agents. Going back to the Minutemen of the 1960's.

There's a renewed lesson here re. right wing fringe organizations. That is, it must be assumed that all or most are infiltrated by federal informants or agents. Going back to the Minutemen of the 1960's.
"The Internet: Where the men are men, the women are also men and the children are undercover FBI agents."

Kinda makes you wonder if some of those UC informants aren't agents provocateur MEANT to start something, doesn't it?

Is anyone familiar with the term "rip crews"? This is a new one on me. Who's out there stealing firearms from illegal border crossers?

"Pratchard ... in one recorded conversation asked whether they were likely to run into any "rip crews" — a term referring to bandits who steal drugs, cash and firearms from people crossing the border."

While I may not agree with federal firearms policy, this guy was in clear violation of several fed statutes and now faces the consequences of his actions. This article makes one wonder how many government informers participate and monitor this site. Maybe folks should ease up on the "I will not comply!" rhetoric. Had this person kept his actions private, he would probably still be doing them.

We can say whatever frak we want.... it's "illegal" actions (on both sides) that matter. ;)

Answered my own question. So much craziness going on down on the border. Rip crews, weapons caches in the desert, CBP tactical teams, Fast and Furious. It's a war zone down there. Lots of interesting details in these articles.

This article is interesting on several levels. It's got it all: Illegal immigration, government informants, gun making (with 80% lowers?), reloading ("ammo factory").

I'm not defending this guy or his actions, but in this era of red flag laws, I think it's sad that you can be judged a threat to society because you talk to your dog.

"Federal prosecutors, who successfully argued during that same hearing that Pratchard presented a danger to society and should be held without bond, pointed to a recording of him talking to his dog."

RELOADERS WITH PETS BEWARE! LOL

My god! Assuming, and that is always a BIG jump, that the story is at least close to the truth, what a damn kook. I am shocked he only got 6 years.
As for a warning to others? Well he was a walking neon sign saying arrest me. I have been toying hard with the idea of making an AR or 2 in PCC for fun. My idea is if I do and want to sell later? I would NEVER even think of selling the lower (s) I made. Sell the parts fine. This would be a fun little project to try but damned if I would start selling finished guns. Again who knows. The way "news" is done these days this could be almost total fiction too. If close to the truth the clown certainly did gun owners no favors giving the media this kind of story.

Hi. My name is George and I am an AR addict...:D

re: Recording of him talking to his dog... What exactly was he saying? "You're right, Fido. I should kill them all!!!"
I thought about that too. I regularly talk to my dog. I don't think I have ever seen a dog person who does not only talk to his dog, but almost any other dogs they run across. People who love dogs of course talk to them. Now was it son of sam talk? or hey who's the best boy, kind of thing here. :confused:

Answered my own question. So much craziness going on down on the border. Rip crews, weapons caches in the desert, CBP tactical teams, Fast and Furious. It's a war zone down there. Lots of interesting details in these articles.

I have to say I had never heard of this until now:eek:

I thought about that too. I regularly talk to my dog. I don't think I have ever seen a dog person who does not only talk to his dog, but almost any other dogs they run across. People who love dogs of course talk to them.

I was retired for ten years before my wife retired. When I was around the house during the day, the only other being to converse with mostly was my cat. He is the perfect conversationalist, allows you all the air time you want. He did learn a few words of English very well, like "snack" and "out." "Come on" was in there too.
BUT: Danger lies therein. This is one of those areas which might be ripe for abuse. You just need the right accusers and judge to determine that you are "crazy" by their definition and lose your 2A rights. Oh, what a state of affairs.

Re. some other points in this thread. Yes, a Dishonorable Discharge from the US armed forces conveys a loss of firearms rights. It's one of the questions on the Form 4473.

However, from the information provided earlier, subject individual had another felony conviction.

"Rip Crews," probably more interested in stealing drugs and/or money, with firearms being a secondary target of opportunity. There is a big market for stolen weapons in the trafficking trade, so no doubt these are a source of revenue. But I imagine it's mostly about direct acquisition of drugs.

Serial numbers. Federal law requires that all licensed manufacturers assign serial numbers that do not duplicate any other serial number used by any other manufacturer, importer or maker. So it stands to reason that to abide by this rule, there would have to be some liaison with ATF to determine if a serial number that you were going to use was okay and not in conflict. That is, if the guy had been licensed which he was not. Unlicensed persons may make a firearm, but may not sell or transfer it. The guy we're discussing broke the law when he sold his home-made weapons. The serial numbers were "bogus" because he had no practical way to know if they duplicated other numbers used by legitimate manufacturers. Which was really only a minor detail compared with the illegal sales.

It's not difficult to see how manufacturing guns at home would snow-ball into something out of control. A guy might enjoy making them, but after while what's he gonna do with ten, fifteen or twenty? The temptation then is to move some of them out by sale.

Kinda makes you wonder if some of those UC informants aren't agents provocateur MEANT to start something, doesn't it?

Yes it does. Entrapment is a slippery legal subject. Normally, we presuppose that those who are charged with enforcing the law are above breaking it for their own purposes. But look at what has happened at the FBI in recent times. We can't always assume they are above breaking the law.

I was retired for ten years before my wife retired. When I was around the house during the day, the only other being to converse with mostly was my cat. He is the perfect conversationalist, allows you all the air time you want. He did learn a few words of English very well, like "snack" and "out." "Come on" was in there too.
BUT: Danger lies therein. This is one of those areas which might be ripe for abuse. You just need the right accusers and judge to determine that you are "crazy" by their definition and lose your 2A rights. Oh, what a state of affairs.

LOL, no doubt if someone were to hear me conversing with my Dog when we are alone they could make it sound like I had gone nuts. Especially if I had just come back from the range and was cleaning guns. "This guy had guns all over and was carrying on a conversation with his dog! Send the SWAT guys! " :s0140:

Who doesn't talk to their pets? :eek:

A mute?

Someone with a deaf pet?

Of course, it depends on what they are saying - but I think that in general, talking to someone who isn't there and/or hearing voices is more of an indicator of mental illness than talking to an animal.

I talk to all kinds of animals. I curse the mice that get into my stuff. I say hi to birds outside. I call out to the owls who hoot in the woods - I even have a name for them; Mr. Hooty Owl. I say hello to all the neighborhood dogs. I prefer animals to people.

Heretic, you have just revealed that you are a Menace to Society. Turn yourself in! :eek:

I tried. But it turns out that since I am employed, a taxpayer, and a landowner, I still have value to society.

They said when I retire in a year or two and start pulling SSI benefits, then I will no longer be of any value to society, I will just be a drag on the economy and since I have guns I will be a menace to society, so I can then turn myself and my guns in.

I was discussing this thread with my cats, they pointed out that this just reinforces their opinion of people that talk to dogs.:s0153:

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews