JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So I found a brand new in the box Colt SP1 sporter. Came in a bag marked Colt, has the owners manual, the three 20 rd mags it came with and two Colt marked optics and original paperwork. I would guess it was built around 86-88. SN was SP18xxxx

I was really stoked about it, thought I really wanted it. Just a pristine example of a pre ban Colt AR.

After fondling it for 10 minutes I was over it. I really don't remember them being "crappy" for lack of a better term. The fit and finish of the parts are poor. Plastic flashing on the grip and stock. Crude, raw looking forging on the upper. I was just really disappointed. Honestly the fit and finish on the last $500 PSA AR puts it to shame.

No point, other than it really was a disappointment. I had worked myself into a frenzy over this find. I really thought I needed to have a "real" AR with a Colt roll mark, a flat side no FA carry handle triangle guard... but holding it in my hands I just couldn't see spending three times the dough that a modern equivalent could be bought for.

25-30 years ago I owned several Colts, at that point I felt like it was the only "real" AR. It's been 20 years or so since I really looked at one and it sure did not live up to my memory.
:(

Interesting, I've heard nothing but good stuff about Colt Ars. Esp the 6920s. Any how, you are welcome to come check out the fit and finish of my Colt Competitions, they are topnotch. They are made by a contractor, Bold Ideas, but they shoot fantastic.

Interesting, I've heard nothing but good stuff about Colt Ars. Esp the 6920s. Any how, you are welcome to come check out the fit and finish of my Colt Competitions, they are topnotch. They are made by a contractor, Bold Ideas, but they shoot fantastic.

Colt Competition was my last AR purchase. It's a great rifle and I can shoot sub-minute groups which they guarantee. Love it! :D

About a year ago I took delivery of a Colt 1911 XSE.
The assembler at Colt put an idiot mark on it.
I almost sent it back....I want to put my own idiot mark on it.
Sometimes Colt does not live up to the Holy Grail status that it enjoys.

I would be very interested in one of the Colt optics. Any chance that one could be purchased separately?
I've always wanted one on top of this SP1 Sporter.

ar-15 colt 001.JPG

I have yet to hold a pre-ban AR. However, thanks for sharing your experience. I've put together several ARs over the years and definitely can tell the difference between the entry levels and Noveskes but really wanna hold one of the older pre-bans. PSA makes some pretty good stuff if you're patient enough to wait for it.

At one time I owned a nice Colt SP-1
Late 70's vintage.
Fit and finish were excellent and it shot nicely.
Maybe you were looking at a " Hurry up its Friday..." or a "I can't believe I partied soooo much, its now Monday..."rifle? :eek::D
Andy

It has been 40 years but the ones I handled in boot I don't remember being bad, but they were milspec.

BTW - I had to teach all the other boots how to field strip and clean them. Nobody else had any experience with guns. :rolleyes:

I had close to the same experience. I remember my service rifle being this certain way. Last time I picked up a pre ban it wasn't the same, can't explain it not even sure why just not the same. I quickly put it down and moved on wanted my memory to be what it was.

Very true about wanting memories to be certain ways or how we wish it were...
My service M16A1's , A2's or Carbines all seemed well made and shot well.
If I were to see 'em for sale now ... I might feel differently.
Andy

Don't get me wrong, I don't think the Colt was "bad"

My point is more that this relic is the same price as a Noveske and in comparison there is no comparison in quality.

I would be very interested in one of the Colt optics. Any chance that one could be purchased separately?
I've always wanted one on top of this SP1 Sporter.

View attachment 345933
I could ask but I doubt it. Both are the handle mount, one is a red dot reflex sight kind of thing and the other like a fixed 4 x tube. Both are marked Colt, the paperwork is there for the reflex sight

What are they worth?

It has been 40 years but the ones I handled in boot I don't remember being bad, but they were milspec.

BTW - I had to teach all the other boots how to field strip and clean them. Nobody else had any experience with guns. :rolleyes:

In USCG boot late 1975 I was the Right Handed Rifleman on the Color Guard. Did the commissioning of the Polar Star in Seattle before graduation in early 1976. I carried a Garand. Not one of those dinky plastic rifles.:p Highporting with a Garand did suck tho!:rolleyes:

Its like wanting a Ferrari from the 1980's (like Magnum PI's Ferrari 308 GTS) only to find out that a modern midrange sedan has more horsepower and better handling. Plus it wont need to go to the shop every other month for crazy expensive parts. My entry level v6 Jeep has more horse power than that Ferrari with its twin turbo V8.

*bubble burst*

What you get with a Colt is a horsey roll mark, the reputation of the company , and resale value.

Personally I like the company but don't see a reason to give them an extra few hundred dollars for a roll mark since I don't buy firearms to resell - i buy them to keep them and shoot them.

You also need to be careful with Colt (and any other manufacturer) because they have had ups and downs where quality is concerned - remember they lost the M4 contract for a few years due to poor quality, but have since improved it enough that they now share it with FN.

AR manufacturing has come a long ways, and those old preban rifles show it. I had a chance to fondle one not too long ago, and I agree that the fit and finish on my PSA and BCA uppers are just plain better. I remember my first Bushmaster had lots of upper to lower play and accu-wedges were a must to tighten things up. Not anymore.

So I found a brand new in the box Colt SP1 sporter. Came in a bag marked Colt, has the owners manual, the three 20 rd mags it came with and two Colt marked optics and original paperwork. I would guess it was built around 86-88. SN was SP18xxxx

I was really stoked about it, thought I really wanted it. Just a pristine example of a pre ban Colt AR.

After fondling it for 10 minutes I was over it. I really don't remember them being "crappy" for lack of a better term. The fit and finish of the parts are poor. Plastic flashing on the grip and stock. Crude, raw looking forging on the upper. I was just really disappointed. Honestly the fit and finish on the last $500 PSA AR puts it to shame.

No point, other than it really was a disappointment. I had worked myself into a frenzy over this find. I really thought I needed to have a "real" AR with a Colt roll mark, a flat side no FA carry handle triangle guard... but holding it in my hands I just couldn't see spending three times the dough that a modern equivalent could be bought for.

25-30 years ago I owned several Colts, at that point I felt like it was the only "real" AR. It's been 20 years or so since I really looked at one and it sure did not live up to my memory.
:(

Kinda like meeting up with one of your first GFs that was so hot and ready when you were young and now, well 4 decades later....not so much.

One of the best pieces of advice my father gave me and I didn't listen: "Son, if you ever think about spending the rest of your life with a woman....take a good long look at her mom."

Brutus Out

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top