JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So after a very nice transaction with a forum member I am the proud owner of a very very nice Savage 111 trophy hunter in 30-06 Accutrigger bottom mag release.

The plan is to build a Elk/Bear rifle from this in .35 Whelan (basically a .35 cal -06)

E.R. Shaw Savage replacement barrel in .35 Whelan 4140 Heavy Mag contour (.705" at muzzle) 22" length 1-14 twist Premium Matte Blue finish chambered and chromed

Boyds Classic pattern stock, std grade Walnut, Pachmayr 1" black recoil pad, Black Polymer tip and grip cap, white line spacer with FLEUR DE'LIS PANEL TEXTURE: STIPPLING.

I want to be able to use both my Leupold Vari-X II 3-9X and a reciever mounted peep site and brass post.

For those of you in the know suggestions on the Peep and the bead (I would prefer not to have to dove tail the the barrel I am not opposed to drilling and tapping)

So after a very nice transaction with a forum member I am the proud owner of a very very nice Savage 111 trophy hunter in 30-06 Accutrigger bottom mag release.

The plan is to build a Elk/Bear rifle from this in .35 Whelan (basically a .35 cal -06)

E.R. Shaw Savage replacement barrel in .35 Whelan 4140 Heavy Mag contour (.705" at muzzle) 22" length 1-14 twist Premium Matte Blue finish chambered and chromed

Boyds Classic pattern stock, std grade Walnut, Pachmayr 1" black recoil pad, Black Polymer tip and grip cap, white line spacer with FLEUR DE'LIS PANEL TEXTURE: STIPPLING.

I want to be able to use both my Leupold Vari-X II 3-9X and a reciever mounted peep site and brass post.

For those of you in the know suggestions on the Peep and the bead (I would prefer not to have to dove tail the the barrel I am not opposed to drilling and tapping)
lemme know if u need to borrow a barrel nut wrench. i have both styles.

Getting a Scope AND irons to work together is a tough problem! Made worse on these Savages because the rear receiver/bolt stop is the same diameter as the front. Unless you run a barrel mounted rear sight like a Marbles, your stuck with ether running one or the other or using "look through" rings, which may not be the best option. It's a bugger getting both sighting options to work together! There are options, but few if any are going to do what you want! I would see if maybe @Velzey may have some ideas here! BTW, the Marbles rear sight screws to the barrel, so it's minimum work to get them working right!

For some reason I would be hesitant to put barrel mounted sights on a barrel that used a nut system for mounting and head spacing. Not sure why. If you never remove the barrel after initial install, it should be fine...

OK I should clarify. I do not intend on using both sighting systems at one time. Rather I want to be able to set up the rifle for various types of hunts.

As I live about 20 min from Four Corners Rod and Gun Club and I have been a member for quite a while now. Resighting in a rifle prior to a Bear or Elk hunt is no problem. Heck the range is only about 5 min out of the way home after work.

As to the idea of a 338 Win Mag while I am aware of the cartridges abilities it would require a change of Bolt face and the loss of a round in the magazine.

PLUS I want a 35 Whelan. not a .338 WIN MAG

A conversion to a Magnum would require a bolt head change, too, a fact Mark pointed out.
In the old days guys used the 30-06 case for lots of cool things, 6mm-06, 8mm-06, 338-06 (think long version of 338 Federal), 35 Whelen and even 40 Whelen! (not much shoulder on that one) The AI version of the 35 gives a better shoulder to headspace off of. The 35 will push a 200gr bullet about as fast as a 30-06 pushes a 180 and the Improved would get close with a 225. Neither of these will knock your shoulder off, but will drop game like a rock.
Forming brass from scratch (assuming starting with 30-06 cases) for the Improved 35 would be a little bit of a project, but shooting is the fun part! In theory, the 35 would surely benefit from the Ackley Improvement in case life and would make neck sizing only a better option. (take this part with a grain of salt, as I have no experience with the 35, Improved or not) I like the Improved version of my 06, but some think I'm a little screwey in general.:confused:
I used to have a Winchester 70 from the 50's. It had a tip off scope mount and barrel mounted, iron sights. I would much rather a set up like that, assuming it holds scope zero, than the "see thru" rings. Now I suspect it's easier to find quick release rings than tip off stuff...
Another option I like is a ghost ring or peep sight that mounts to the scope base when the scope is off.

What I would do is back off on the barrel contour if possible. I like the length, but I don't like the weight.

ER Shaw was selling new Savages with "conversions" like Mark's project, but what's the fun in that?

I'll be hanging out, eating popcorn and making comments from the peanut gallery as this build progresses.:s0093:

All great ideas and comments guys. You get my wheels and gears turning. I have so much -06 brass I'll never run out. But my plan is to invest in about 200 rds of Nosler or Norma brass. As I only shoot my own loads fine tuning is a big part of the fun.

I'll think on a lighter profile but I tend to like a heavy barrel (to many years shooting a 34" long Muzzle loader in competition).

The difference between the Heavy Mag contour and the Std. Mag is only an ounce! compared to the Std wt barrel it is 10 oz. And with a .35 cal I want a heavier barrel.

I am not seeing much in the way of irons that are ether quick change, or barrel mounted. Williams, Lyman, and Marbles are about the only ones I see. However, there is the possibility of a modified Provedence Tool rear sight that may sit low enough to clear a scope objective if you mounted it in medium hight rings. It would then be possable to have good irons for back up. You could also set them both up for quick change, and be able to field swap as needed!

I agree on the Ackley Improved reaming as you will gain a bit of case capacity and energy that you lose due to the increase bullet displacement and weight. The additional section density and bullet weight / diameter need a bit of oomf to perform better. You will like it!

I'll not be field swapping. I would typically set the rifle up with the Leupold Vari-X II 3-9X for Elk hunting. Then for Bear set it up with the Peep Sight and Bead. So a trip to the range to fine tune the scope or make sure the Irons are on target.

Williams offers a model WGRS-SAVAGE that fits the rear scope mount on round top Savage actions. They recommend using a 538M bead. This is available in a Dovetail or with a ramp screwed on to the Barrel.

I'm opening this old thread of mine back up as I am finally getting to building this rifle (spent all my recent energy getting my Willys CJ-2A jeep on the road and tuned.

The problem I am running into is that to use a Boyds Stock I have to figure out bottom metal and trigger guard stuff. The rifle I have to use the action from using a bottom bolt release with the magazine release on the Magazine itself. I would really like to change this to the type of Mag release that is just ahead of the Magazine in the bottom metal. But searching for this of course has to be a PITA because Savage changes stuff so often trying to get cheaper and cheaper.

Has anyone done this type of build that can guide me in the right direction The rifle is a Trophy Hunter 111 in 30-06 currently.

I'm opening this old thread of mine back up as I am finally getting to building this rifle (spent all my recent energy getting my Willys CJ-2A jeep on the road and tuned.

The problem I am running into is that to use a Boyds Stock I have to figure out bottom metal and trigger guard stuff. The rifle I have to use the action from using a bottom bolt release with the magazine release on the Magazine itself. I would really like to change this to the type of Mag release that is just ahead of the Magazine in the bottom metal. But searching for this of course has to be a PITA because Savage changes stuff so often trying to get cheaper and cheaper.

Has anyone done this type of build that can guide me in the right direction The rifle is a Trophy Hunter 111 in 30-06 currently.
i am currently looking for a new sear that will allow me to change my 11 to a top bolt release. it takes a new sear and either bending the release arm to clear the receiver or milling the receiver. some say it takes springs too. i am not sure if it works with the accutrigger or not.

ive been waiting for numrich to get them back in stock but someone on another forum told me id have to be a gunsmith with an ffl to call savage and have them send me a sear.

ive also looked at the savage axis trigger/ sear assemblies to see if they'll fit but havent found out yet/kinda back burnered the project.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top