JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was talking to my sons football coach last Saturday.
He said that he'd love to have the games filmed so that he and the other coaches can go back through to formulate better coaching plans.

I have zero time to coach but think i can help with the filming. I dont know where to start or what to look for. I dont want to spend a ton of money. I was thinking that if all the riots in the last 18 months were documented using phones i can probably do the same thing.
I dont want any drones. Just a stationary or even mobile set up to move up and down the field easily as the game progresses.

Any suggestions?

Okay lets do a comparison.
Shot with Samsung A10E basic phone 20210608_193918.jpg
Edit. Thats not quite fair, the above is pretty good for the phone but this is more usual in low light/indoors 20210831_133516.jpg

And then shot with a Nikon CoolPix L100, older but has 15x optical zoom with a good lenses

DSCN4649.JPG DSCN4659.JPG

I'm just saying, get a decent camcorder or camera made for photography/filming and the quality should be pretty good vs cheap phone cameras.

Okay lets do a comparison.
Shot with Samsung A10E basic phone View attachment 1036450
Edit. Thats not quite fair, the above is pretty good for the phone but this is more usual in low light/indoorsView attachment 1036453

And then shot with a Nikon CoolPix L100, older but has 15x optical zoom with a good lenses

View attachment 1036451View attachment 1036452

I'm just saying, get a decent camcorder or camera made for photography/filming and the quality should be pretty good vs cheap phone cameras.

Thanks for the suggestions.
I am also going to talk to a buddy tonight who films his kids softball games. I dont want to go to crazy as this is the last year before he starts playing for the middle school and i am sure they will have their own game recording program established.

That might be the ticket.
A used GoPro 7 or newer has great resolution, image stabilization, and can be mounted on a stick. It's very easy to see around so people complain less if you raise it up a bit. I have one mounted to my bike helmet, powered by a small external battery, the kind used to recharge phones. I run out of storage (6 hours) long before battery.

Phones have come a long way but they still inherently suck in low light (like a high school field at night). If you really want to know the details around optics and sensors, I'll type it up.

A lot of the wizardry phones use in low light comes down to long exposures and kick-bubblegum software. Guess what you won't be using when it comes time for video: yep, long exposure.

You'll also be time limited and, pending your phone, may blow through your storage right quick.

I would absolutely try to use the phone first, attached to a gimbal, attached to a stick that you can hold up.

If you find the resulting video not satisfactory for any reason, then start exploring various camera systems.

Budget usually means used.

If you end up opting for an actual camera system. ..try to at least find a late model higher end digital 8 .. .Sony,, Canon etc If you can find two of the same model, you can get batteries that are compatible on Ebay ...an important consideration.
The next thing regardless of camera system is editing software for your laptop (helps you get rid of those so-so shots, add subtitles,
and helps you conceal the fact you aren't CB Demile's grandson). This will also help you smoothly combine footage from the point and shoot digital camera in your pocket.
A mono-pod is a must for action work, some tripods allow you to take the center column off or you can make one from a stick and a 1/4 x 20 bolt, to be screwed into the bottom of your camera. You will find times when you need this to shoot over a fence or above some jerks head that won't give you space. Flip out viewfinders are handy for the same reason.
As you acquire more gear, think compatibility. I still shoot with my 4 digital 8 Sony's. The hardest thing is keeping them fed with tape (download your tape to sticks and save your cassettes) and new batteries. (ebay).

Last Edited:
Budget usually means used.

If you end up opting for an actual camera system. ..try to at least find a late model higher end digital 8 .. .Sony,, Canon etc If you can find two of the same model, you can get batteries that are compatible on Ebay ...an important consideration.
The next thing regardless of camera system is editing software for your laptop (helps you get rid of those so-so shots, add subtitles,
and helps you conceal the fact you aren't CB Demile's grandson). This will also help you smoothly combine footage from the point and shoot digital camera in your pocket.
A mono-pod is a must for action work, some tripods allow you to take the center column off or you can make one from a stick and a 1/4 x 20 bolt, to be screwed into the bottom of your camera. You will find times when you need this to shoot over a fence or above some jerks head that won't give you space. Flip out viewfinders are handy for the same reason.
As you acquire more gear, think compatibility. I still shoot with my 4 digital 8 Sony's. The hardest thing is keeping them fed with tape (download your tape to sticks and save your cassettes) and new batteries. (ebay).
I picked up a well made monopod on Craigslist at a good price a couple of years ago.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top