JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have carried the rifle on no less than 15 hunts thus far. When I say hunts I am talking 6-12 hours and no less than 5 miles at a pop. The balance and feel of the rifle is great and everyone I hunt with has commented on how nice it looks. There are no notches on the stock, but it handles superb and the accuracy is great and 7mm does the same damage out of whatever rifle its coming out of.

Browning products are always wonderful. I would probably have an A Bolt but have a self imposed boycott on oriental produced products. I knew Val Browning the company CEO when these were first designed. I have used 7mm Magnum over 40 years and 3 continents. It is a superb long range medium game caliber. The only thing I would caution is if you shoot game close (like 100 yards) the high velocity bullets will come apart. I have been using Nosler Partitions to solve the issue since First discovered. I think the new Barnes copper bullets are good too (have been using those in my 6.5X55) and there may be others but make sure the bullet has a good solid construction. I drive a 139 grain Nosler at something like 3100 FPS very accurately.

Browning products are always wonderful. I would probably have an A Bolt but have a self imposed boycott on oriental produced products. I knew Val Browning the company CEO when these were first designed. I have used 7mm Magnum over 40 years and 3 continents. It is a superb long range medium game caliber. The only thing I would caution is if you shoot game close (like 100 yards) the high velocity bullets will come apart. I have been using Nosler Partitions to solve the issue since First discovered. I think the new Barnes copper bullets are good too (have been using those in my 6.5X55) and there may be others but make sure the bullet has a good solid construction. I drive a 139 grain Nosler at something like 3100 FPS very accurately.
I am using federal trophy copper. I have not shot anything with them, but the accuracy is great.

Guys running the x bolts, what rings and scope combos are you using?

I have been lookin and there is very little info on the rings so hard to tell what height I can get away with. I'm picking up the HC speed in 300 Win Mag and was planning on an Athlon Argos 6-24x50 but that puts me right between the med and high rings. OD on the Argos is said to be 2.2" at the front.

I have to admit I have been tempted by the western hunter as well, only difference I see is the barrel is not fluted and blued rather than the bronze ceracote...but $180 cheaper. Adds about 8 oz to the front side of the gun though and the speed balances very nicely so I think I'll stick to it.
I have enjoyed but the balance, weight, and finish of the rifle enough to value it at $180.

I love the stainless Henry's with the brushed or dull stainless finish but I am not a fan of the loading tube on Henry's. I don't like pulling the rod out and dropping rounds in the tube, my favorite lever is an old Winchester 1894 .30-30 made in 1941. I really want one of the Marlin .45-70 levers in stainless with the peppered wood stock.

IMG_6304.JPG IMG_6309.JPG IMG_6303.JPG I didn't get a "Hell's Canyon Speed". I did pick up a limited run Browing X-Bolt.

I purchased the "Western Hunter" model. It's the exact same as the "Hell's Canyon Speed" but with two acceptions. The barrel is non fluted and all the metal is finished in matte black instead of burnt bronze.

I purchased the rifle in 28 Nosler. Today I spent a little time on the bench with it shooting factory Nosler 160gr loads, it shot very well, under half inch for three shot groups @ 100 yards.

Nice! I am really sold on the Brownings now. The stock was something that I "liked" and now its something I "love", it just has a really nice feel.

The .300 Win Mag is my all time go to cartridge and factory ammo and brass is brutally priced for the 28 Nosler.

I purchased 4 boxes of ammo/ 80 rounds for $345.00 bucks including tax here locally in WA State. That was a hit! 80 cases will last me for some time with this chambering.

It's a Nosler round, so only Nosler sells the brass and can charge whatever they feel like. So not many factory loads out for it and when you find them they are expensive. Not quite .338 LM expensive but still high.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top