JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just dug this out of my storage ... was one of my dad's rifles from over 30 years ago. It is light and feels very good to handle. Its rounds are fed through the stock itself. See the pics, it's apparently still featured on Browning's website.

Just wanted to know who else had one of these and how they use it, and/or how they like or dislike it, as the case may be ... in other words, is this thing a classic, or a dud?

Thanks!

<broken link removed>

Last edited by a moderator:
Just took it out yesterday, filled the stock with 11 rounds (capacity), and flawlessly fired them off ... the sights needed no adjustments, and I made 6" groups at 20 yards. OK, I'll keep her.

It's a classic. I've wanted one for a while. Keep it and enjoy it. Check out the Browning section of www.rifmirecentral.com if you need more info.

The "problem" I've heard with them is if you wear long sleeves and aren't careful you can have hot brass going down arm. :s0112::s0114:

Sportsmans whse. had a new one with some ingraving a couple years ago and it was $800. I've got an old Remington model 24 which is the same gun and I won't part with it. It's one of the best 22's in my opinion. They are take down also.

It's truly a beautiful gun. I helped my dad clean his.

It's like most other Brownings an absolute bear to field strip and clean. It took all four of our hands to hold it in place to put the breech assembly back together.

It had an old Redfield scope and shot 1/2" groups at 100ft.

If it has the "wheel adjust" rear sight, its worth a bit more to a collector (as this was the first version). Yours should be a Belgium-made gun as well, based on its age (as opposed to Japan), and that makes it more desirable too.

A word on scope mounting: to do this correctly with the Browning, you will look for the mount that actually attaches to the barrel, not the receiver. It has an "overhang" extension that extends to the rear over the receiver, with the 3/8 dovetail on top for rimfire rings.

Although most of these guns not of extremely early manufacture already have a 3/8" grooved receiver, mounting a scope on that rail results in inconsistency on the target as a result of the "takedown" feature of these guns. (The receiver is not really "attached" to the barrel, consequently, neither is a scope that is attached to the receiver.)

The caution about hot brass down your cuff is valid based on personal experience. No finer made auto .22.

Trust me, it's a dud, but I can save you! Just bring the horrible little rifle to me and I'll keep you out of harms way. :D

Seriously, I wanted one of those so bad when I was a kid it hurt. Settled for a Ruger 10/22, which ain't bad either, just not as sexy.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top