JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was wondering what you all thought a Browning 12 gauge 28" screw in choke barrel would it be a good one gun for deer upland bird and trail defense I can only have one gun unfortunately and thought this was a good choice thanks

As to why only one gun wa state say in order for my wife to be on SSI she has major medical problems I can only make 11 dollars an hour so money is tight that's the short of a very long story sorry TMI I know

As much as I love my A5's in your case I would suggest a Rem 870/1187 or a Mossy. Much easier on the wallet and barrels are cheaper-slugger for deer and the 28er for bird/small game.
JMT's

Ya I was looking at barrels for the A 5 and found them to be a little pricey but the A 5 I was looking at was very nice but the only problem is I would have to trade and the only thing I have to trade is my SRH SCOPE and ammo I would be upside down unless I could get cash also not likely cause it's a gun shop. I know I should keep the 44 but the likely hood of me deer hunting again is slim to none thtas why I was going with just a shotgun

Members of my dad's family had been heard to say" No one needs more than a good shotgun". But they lived where most hunting was in the deep woods.
So it can be done.
If it were me and I could only have one it would be a Pump gun with at least two barrels. By moving away from a semi auto you can fire really light loads or really heavy loads without worry of will they cycle the action, or batter the bolt!
The two easiest to get barrels would fit the Remington 870, or the Mossberg 500. With a 28" bird barrel and a cylinder bored shorter barrel I can't think of anything you couldn't hunt. You will just have to tailor your hunting to get closer in.
With the popularity of Coyote calling, Lots of guys are adding a shotgun to their hunting stands for the ones that slip in close! Good Luck DR

I have tried those they don't fit I don't like them but the A 5 shoulders and points much better
Sounds like you have already made up your mind. I will say you are going to find that Shotgun for Shotgun the A-5 is going to cost you more dollars and offer fewer options. I know my comments were based on the "tight dollars" statement in your original message. Personally, I don't care for the A-5 but then I don't have a lot of time with one either. Mechanics of the A-5 are just fine and should last you a long time. Just not my cup of tea.

I have Remington's and A5 Brownings, both great shotguns. My buddies son in law deals in A5 barrels, some are collector grade and some are inexpensive shooters. I bought my 1938 A5 without a barrel and bought a 26" Hastings (made in France......can't remember the actual manufacturer right now ) with Remington interchangeable tubes very inexpensively. It looks and functions perfectly. Off course, Remington barrels are very common and there are deals to be had there. Remington used to make a sporting gun with a 21 inch barrel, choke tubes and a straight English stock.....I like short barrel field guns, it looked great.

Ya I'm still stuck on the money thing the A 5 is only 100$ more and he can get used barrels pretty cheap and since I will be trading I think maybe I can work a two barrel trade with a little cash back my way that's the plan lol

Ya I'm still stuck on the money thing the A 5 is only 100$ more and he can get used barrels pretty cheap and since I will be trading I think maybe I can work a two barrel trade with a little cash back my way that's the plan lol
My rebuilt duracoated A5 without barrel was 135.00, the barrel was another 135.00 new on a closeout. All it takes is patience, watching and some time.

I'm a Whatever Works kind of guy. So, enjoy!

I will say the first A-5 I shot was one that has been made Full Automatic for the Military. It was a handful!

I was told it was a project that Elmer Keith worked on in Ogden during the Second World War. We got to see and play with a number of different Toys while I was at APG. :D:D:D
Yes......the afternoon I spent with Elmer, he talked a lot about his time at Ogden. He was interested in the work I was doing there as a young GI. I have seen those Brownings at the gunnery school museum in Kingman Az.

I met Elmer Keith many years after my time at APG while at an NRA Convention. And we talked briefly about the A-5 project. The one I fired had nothing to do with that. There was interest in the A-5 as a Trench Gun in SE Asia. I never saw another one.