JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This is what I have been told. On a 1000 gallon septic tank, it should be pumped every 5 to 7 years with 4 people on it, 7 to 10 years with 2 people on it. If the tank over flows solids in to your drain field it's going to be a very spendy cleaning or replacement. As for TP use whatever you want and don't use the garbage disposal the veggie stuff will plug up your drain field with slime. Besides it's under $300 for a pump job. Just don't stand to close.

There's been times back in the day when I had to get toilet paper by stealing it from a gas station. Now days I can afford the good stuff and I don't care if it's environmentally friendly or not. Long as it's comfortable and does the job. There's better places to save a buck. Roto Rooter can deal with the tank, those guys need work too .

There's been times back in the day when I had to get toilet paper by stealing it from a gas station. Now days I can afford the good stuff and I don't care if it's environmentally friendly or not. Long as it's comfortable and does the job. There's better places to save a buck. Roto Rooter can deal with the tank, those guys need work too .

We used to have to put padlocks on our porta pottis on the job sites, or the toilet paper was gone the first night they were there. Finally had to fence and lock everything up.

My dad got all cheap and didn't want to pump his tank, so he went with the dump and put the paper in the trash can and he used the cheapest garbage TP he could find.
It was really nice bringing my future wife there and having my dad tell her to wipe and throw it away.
I looked at her and said flush that ish!

I would rather buy good TP that actually gets the crap off my booty hole than deal with it disenigrating prematurely. Like as I wipe.
The cost of pumping a tank every 5-10 years is pretty minimal compared with the emotional trauma of getting my own dookie on my hand.

The company I worked for bought the cheeeepist TP that was out there. One day the office gal's had had it and they all brough in a ROLL of their own TP and set them front and center on there desks. Everytime they went to the can down the hall they went with their TP in hand. With in three days all the rest rooms had good TP. But they used up all the bad stuff in the out of town warehouses. GO FIGURE!

what kills a septic tanks in almost short order is running bleach loads in the laundry (if your grey water goes into the same drain line as sanitary, which most do) and pouring a dose of bleach into a toilet to clean it.
nukes the bacteria n the septic tank, allowing solids to settle and not degrade. Also, some of the TP made from recycled papers dont break down as well.
...so says a pumper service I use at home as well as at work.
I have my tank pumped every 6 years.

jbettt
As a profession it is looked on as better than lawyers and politicians and some other bottom feeders.
At least septic pumpers are doing their customers a needed service . . .

Sheldon

The way I see it is, I've got two goals as a crappy cleaner.
Pump as many as posible.
Don't get any on you.

THAT, is better than most jobs.
NO middle management to deal with either!

My SILs parents own a Porta Potty joint out of state and they make a pretty good penny cleaning up after people:D

I also did some work welding on poop tanks:eek: for a couple of guys that owned a local business. They were bought out by one of the bigger guys here in town but they also did very well.

Hate to say this but dealing with other peoples crap is not a bad gig!

When I lived out past Sandy, OR. a few years back, my neighbor had her tank pumped out by an outfit from Portland.
I was driving down the long gravel road towards my house after work when I saw the pump truck pulled over next to a little stream that courses alongside the road.
The driver was standing behind his truck when I drove by.
I just thought he was taking a leak on the side of the private road.
My stepson came home from school a little later and told me there was a real awful stink up the road near where he gets dropped off by the school bus.
We walked up there and found the entire contents of the pump truck that the driver had just dumped into the stream.
I called the pumping company and complained, but they denied that their driver would do something like that and they told me that they wouldn't come back and clean it up.
So I called the county sheriff and since it occurred on BLM land it was now a federal issue and what a hornets nest got stirred up.
There must have been over three federal agency's involved, because the truck had previously visited a chemical company and the contents were suppose to go to a special waste treatment plant.
The resulting investigation was like the Arlo Guthrie song "Alice's Restaurant" with all the photo's and testimonials that eventually made it's way into a Grand Jury trial.
Come to find out, this wasn't the first time the company had did this to save money.

I've been warned that one of the worst things on the drain lines is crappy laundry soap. The fat in the soap cloges the drain ends.
That gets more expensive than pumping a poop tank

No, the worst thing is a water softener. The salt kills the bacteria and sterilizes the tank and the salt will seal up the drain field tight.

Its a pretty amazing thing really. When I was young I worked for a contractor that did nothing but septic work. The banker who's wife had the water softener installed was not happy when we told him that it had destroyed the entire system and he had no choice but to dig up his fancy yard for a new drain field. The salt and sealed it to the point where it was full, and I mean full of water, It was coming up threw the lawn but not draining. using the backhoe we dug about a 8 foot sq hole 6 feet deep at the end of the drain field (it had infiltrater panels) and then broke into it, Several thousand gallons of sewage then gushed out into our freshly dug hole in their lawn and the hole was not big enough, sewage ran in the flower beds, down the sidewalk and almost reached their house. The crazy thing about it was it was the only septic tank we ever worked on that didn't stink. The salt had killed everything.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top