JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This is the man that flew Hermann Goering to Army headquarters in Germany to stand trial.
He received the silver star. And the Legion of Honor Chevalier, Frances highest military honor.

Interesting man. And I just got a SRS hit this morning that my recently purchased ''US Property'' marked Colt 1903 was issued to him when he made general.

Feels like I won the lotto. :s0155:

It's nice to finally connect the dots on a WWII gun. And get ''The story''.

Mayhew Foster - Wikipedia

France to honor WWII veteran

IMG_0165 (2).JPG

Last Edited:
[SRS]Springfield research service has a huge database on WWII weapons.
If you get a hit on a SN# you can pay for a letter on the weapon.

Their site is a bit goofy these days. But many folks have there database on CD or in some other form.
Apparently they still offer letters.

There are also books on the ''General officers pistols''. They have detail records of what gun went to who.

Last Edited:
I guess Bo wasn't much of a shooter, at least not with that one.

The colt 1903 was made in 1944 I believe.

''Bo'' Foster wasn't made a General and given the gun until the 1960's. Long after his service in WWII.
So he probably shot it very little if at all.

I did also get a Rem-Rand 1911A1 that came from the same man as the Colt 1903.
But I don't know if it had anything to do with the General?

Knowing the provenance and history of a fine vintage firearm makes having it for your very own all that much sweeter.
Congratulations! Now go shoot that sweet piece. :)

I have another 1903 that's my shooter. ;)

It was made in the late 1930's. The box is original to the gun. But at some point it was refinished. And the Stocks are modern replacements.

It looks the part. But doesn't have a lot of value like an original. And I don't feel bad at all shooting it.

Last Edited:
I just got Kevin Williams & Dr. John W Brunner's book ''U.S. Officer Pistols: A collectors' Guide'' in the mail this afternoon.

There is a section of page 72 With information on my pistol. :s0155:
Issue date is not known. I believe from other information gathered that it was some time in the early 1960's?

Last Edited:
I've always wanted a WW2 1911 or German luger.

There was a guy selling a German war prize Luger with a back story on the classified back several years ago I wanted bad, only for $650 and I was broke at the time.
I kick myself to this day for not buying it.

Now you can find them for twice that with no history.

I just got Kevin Williams & Dr. John W Brunner's book ''U.S. Officer Pistols: A collectors' Guide'' in the mail this afternoon.

Here is a section of page 72 With information on my pistol SN# 570754. :s0155:
Issue date is not known. I believe from other information gathered that it was some time in the early 1960's?
Glad the story checked out!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads