JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Should I return it now?

• Yes, move on.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, try the oil and keep breaking it in.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Reactions
Hi all,

I recently upgraded my competition gear from the "free gift with purchase" stuff that came with my XDm. I went with Double Alpha as I thought they had a better set up for mag holders. Along with that I ordered the PDR production holster. They only offered one model for Springfield XD series which should have been my first clue.

Out of the package, I could not get the gun to seat. After a couple of days of doing the gun in plastic bag trick, I've at least got the gun to go all the way in but it still does not draw smoothly after a week of practice draws. The next step seems to be applying oil or leather slick to the inside that is lined with suede. I'm hesitant to do that as I'm pretty sure that will prohibit returning it, which I'm contemplating.

Yes, I've backed the adjustment screw all the way out. In further research, it seems that DAA has come out with a new "speed" model without the suede due to similar complaints. Any one have experience with these? Poll enclosed for easy opinions.

Last Edited:
I've had one for my M&P Pro for several years now. Only problem that I had was the inner liner started to peel at the top edge, but a drop of super glue fixed that. Really like it. I'd drop them an email and see what they say about your issue. You're paying the price for higher quality and that's exactly what you should be getting.

Edit: Just noticed this thread is from a few weeks ago. What did you do?

Thanks for the response. I'm still trying to break it in. Thought I had it, then went to the range first thing yesterday and in the cool and damp morning air, it grabbed so tight that there's no way I could use it in competition. So right now, I'm thinking it's going back to midway. The pro's without suede are back ordered. Thanks for the suggestion on contacting double alpha directly.

I've had similar issues with Galco's! One or two plastic bags won't do it! Get a box of plastic wrap and really put some bulk around that puppy! Work it into the holster, being careful to work the slide down into battery! Leave it there for a few days!
It works with the Galco's and many people, myself included, feel that this initial tightness is the sign of a well made holster. A few problems now and a perfect fit forever after!:)

BTW, only use holster oil inside your holster! Galco sells a specific break in oil! I've never used it myself.

Last Edited:
I had similar fitment issues with Galco holsters myself. I never used oil. I put the pistol in a heavy ziploc freezer bag, then three full wraps of waxed paper for two days.
The third day I removed one layer of waxed paper. The fourth day was just the ziploc bag. Then a lot of draw/reholster repetitions.

Galco makes a fine holster. This topic come at the perfect time. I'm needing a new holster for my P01

I had similar fitment issues with Galco holsters myself. I never used oil. I put the pistol in a heavy ziploc freezer bag, then three full wraps of waxed paper for two days.
The third day I removed one layer of waxed paper. The fourth day was just the ziploc bag. Then a lot of draw/reholster repetitions.

Galco makes a fine holster. This topic come at the perfect time. I'm needing a new holster for my P01
Thanks for the hints but this is a DAA holster. The lining is suede and there's a layer of leather on the outside for looks but the main structure is kydex. I've applied the ziplock and wax paper treatments I've used successfully on my all leather holster with success. Not so much here yet.

My apology, mcfoto. I failed to read.

I'm a scosh hung over from our evening of socializing with friends. You could say, I'm currently still cross-eyed.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top