Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Brass Night Gremlins

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by DootyBeet, Aug 17, 2012.

1. DootyBeet

DootyBeet Salem Member

Do any of you experience the following?:
    After picking up your brass at the range,when you go to sort prior to processing, why is it 90% of the 9mm is snugly fit into the .40 casings. Pretty bizzare. :laugh:

2. PX4WA

PX4WA Tacoma, WA Active Member

don't tumble them until you sort them, otherwise they are stuck for good...

common problem...

3. DootyBeet

DootyBeet Salem Member

Yeah, it's bizzare how the 9's can find their way to a .40 without help. You're correct PX4, I have had some tumble together and they get stuck really bad.

4. chrislind2

chrislind2 Springfield, Oregon Member

I tumbled different calibers together 3 times before I finally got smart and made sure they were separate. If possible I always try to pick up all the brass I can find at the range and sort it out later. I'm surprised the range doesn't have a sign that says you cannot pick up the brass, but I guess they couldn't get away with that. I usually get about 3/4 of the brass I shoot back and the rest is way out in the range area to far to get.

5. bballer182

bballer182 Molalla Active Member

Yep. 9s do get pretty good n stuck in 40s sometimes. I tumble multiple calibers together but I make sure none can go inside another. ;)

6. MarkAd

MarkAd Port Orchard Well-Known Member

What is your trick?

7. bballer182

Trick to removing 9s from 40s? Pliers for the 40 and needle nose pliers for the 9.
    Trick to not getting brass stuck in other brass? Don't tumble brass that can fit inside other brass.

8. deadshot2

deadshot2 NW Quadrant WA State Well-Known Member

I sort first then tumble. The media, even SS Pins can really keep the cases stuck together if you don't.

If I sweep up some range brass I have found 9's inside 40's and then the pair nestled inside of 45's. One thing for sure, it does save space:cool:

Of course you then reach the point that you have so much of every caliber you load, that even when a case has to bee thrown away you still have enough to last you another 30 years. I'm looking forward to replacing all my brass then, if I'm still around.

9. deadshot2

Definitely! If I don't have a full load of a single caliber, I toss in some rifle brass with pistol brass, or vice versa. At least that way if one gets stuck in the other, like .223 inside a pistol case, there's a "handle" to help pull it out.

10. bballer182

Same here.

11. jib

jib Central OR Active Member

You can tumble 9mm,40s&w and 45acp together without getting any of them stuck inside the other.

1) Sort the brass

2) put the 45acp in 1st

3) tumble them long enough so the cases are filled with media

4) add the 40s&w and repeat step #3

5) now add the 9mm

12. AMProducts

AMProducts Maple Valley, WA Jerk, Ammo Manufacturer Silver Supporter

If you havn't completely filled your tumbler up with a single caliber, and still have 4-5 more loads to go before you get done with just one caliber, you're doing it wrong :)

I got tired of waiting for the vibratory tumbler and bought a few cement mixers... now that gets tumbling done!

13. deadshot2

And having one sure comes in handy. Got a neighbor that likes to party late and noisy? Just get up about 5 AM and start a mixer. If you don't use it to clean and polish brass, just fill it with some 2" river rock and let it bang away. Put it as close to the neighbor as your property will allow. Extra points if it's under their bedroom window:thumbup:

14. civilian75

civilian75 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

Good trick! Never though of it. How good is this method. Do you ever get an occasional stuck case?

15. jib

jib Central OR Active Member

It works for me.
    The first I tumbled 44spl and 38spl together I had some real stuck cases with a medium grit walnut media. When the larger cases are filled with media the smaller ones can not enter.