JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just did my front rotors and brake pads on my 2011 mercedes glk350 this past weekend. Did it at my father's shop in Astoria and then drove home to Portland. Took a look when I got home and noticed that the new rotor wear was different on each rotor. The driver's side is the size and width of the new pads, yay! The passenger side however was only (maybe) 40% touching the rotor. So last night I took off the pads and put them back on flipping the outside to inside. Reinstalled everything, toqued it all down, flushed the brake fluid a little, and it's still doing it.

Is this okay? I'm thinking eventually the pad will be 100% contact like the driver's side.

Driver's side pad
20210412_140635.jpg

Passenger side pad
20210412_140733.jpg

No issues driving and no pulling or anything when I press the brakes

I've done lots of rotors and pads and that is not noRmAl. If you take it apart again mic the thickness of the new pad from the inside to the outside. For some reason it's not square. This type of wear can happen if the anti squeal plate between the pad and piston did not fully register into the piston cavity, and is not allowing the pad to sit square with the piston. If you drive it long enough, the pads will eventually conform to the disc. But something is certainly funky in Rendlesham Forest.

I've done lots of rotors and pads and that is not noRmAl. If you take it apart again mic the thickness of the new pad from the inside to the outside. For some reason it's not square. This type of wear can happen if the anti squeal plate between the pad and piston did not fully register into the piston cavity, and is not allowing the pad to sit square with the piston. If you drive it long enough, the pads will eventually conform to the disc. But something is certainly funky in Rendlesham Forest.
So the anti squeel pad was already on the pads. This came as a kit from RockAuto and I bought the cheapest kit ($140). I did this side second and exactly like the other side.

I stopped by les schwab today for their advice, two people looked at it and couldn't offer an explanation.

I compressed the pistons as far as they would go and I believe both are engaging. It got new pad brackets also.

could be a number of things. most likely a bad caliper or caliper slides. also could be the pad surface isnt true. could also be a mis machined rotor. would help to see the style of caliper the car uses too

get a strip of sandpaper and a flat surface. put sandpaper on flat surface. take brake pad and sand it by pushing the pad down and across the sand paper. is only part of the brake pad scuffed?

Besides having a sticking/bad caliper or poorly manufactured parts being the problem, I'd first try to "bed in" the brakes.

Try a few HARD stops and seeing if it pulls then, light/normal stops probably won't show the issues.

-Robert

Bed those brakes down with really hard stops a few times.

Did you clean and lube the sliders?
You'd be amazed at what a good cleaning and lube can do for those.

Did you inspect the area for any leaks, broken seals, misaligned parts etc
What was the wear pattern on the old pads?

Short of that, bad caliper.

I didn't clean the sliders, I'm probably going to take it apart this weekend and reinspect everything and take more pics.

You can get rebuild kit for the caliper that will include new caliper pin boots, those may be torn or will become torn if you pull the caliper apart to inspect it.

Besides having a sticking/bad caliper or poorly manufactured parts being the problem, I'd first try to "bed in" the brakes.

Try a few HARD stops and seeing if it pulls then, light/normal stops probably won't show the issues.

-Robert
This here, I normally find a gravel lot and do a few hard stops to cycle the abs system, it vibrates very rapidly and can help seat the pads if that is your problem.

So just an update. After awhile the wear pattern finally filled out on the rotor and I thought everything was fine. Last Sunday went for a drive and started getting a terrible squeeling sound from that side. I would tap the brakes and it would go away for a second.

I immediately ordered a new caliper, pads, and rotor since I figured those were probably screwed up even though it's only been 6 weeks.

Got the caliper, rotor, and pads installed today and everything seems great. Good contact on the pad and no sounds.

This is the wear on the pads after 6 weeks which was definitely a bad caliper. The right pad is the new pad I installed today and the left pad is the pad I removed today.

20210603_200033.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads