JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just thought I would share this with some of my fellow hunters who have Gravity Feeders.
The issue is Squirrels! They have to be one of the most destructive little critters out there!
In the past they have literally eaten a hole in my previous Moultrie Feeder Lids twice to get inside and eat Corn. So I later purchased a Boss Buck 200# Gravity Feeder. But if the Corn ran low or out the little destructors where climbing inside the Gravity Feeder Tubes and eating away at the plastic Dispensing Cone inside(Adjustable) that controls how much feed is allowed to flow to the Feeder Tube openings. They have done that twice! Once they eat most of the Cone away you can not even fill the Hopper. The Corn simply runs straight through the Feeder and out of the Tubes and out onto the ground. So that brings me to this Thread that I wanted to share, with someone who might be having the same issue. Each Feeder Tube as pictured is around 5 to 5 1/2" inches in Diameter. In order to stop the little terrors' from repeating and eating the Cone. I purchases 9 each 6" 3/8 Bolts 3 for each of the three Tubes with Locking Nuts and Washers. Then drilled all the way through the top and out the bottom of each Tube "Vertically" in three locations. And put the three Bolts in each tube and spaced them at an 1 1/2" and a half apart in each. I drilled the Center Hole First in the middle Top of the Tubes and then drilled one on each side of the Center Hole 1 1/2"one either side. They look like jail cell bars in each tube when looking in each Tube at the Bolts. This prevents them or other critters from getting inside the Tubes and destroying the Distribution Cone. Here it is three months later it "Works"! I intentionally allowed the Feeder to run empty twice for couple of days to see if it worked? SOPPED THEM!
:)
They as well as Squirrels not being able to get in the Tube and to the Cone. And the Racoons who were trying to reach inside could not.
Boss Buck Gravity-Protien 200 lb. Tripoid Feeder.jpg

◍ Sample of Tube view but each Tube only has three Bolts / Bars.
I also have Boss Buck Sharks Teeth on the Legs of my feeder but somehow they have managed to deal with them as well. Little Houdinis I guess!
:rolleyes:

I feel your pain and congratulate you your success in thwarting them (this time). Only about 50% of stuff in our planters and pots rarely make it to maturity and our three filbert trees haven't yielded any nuts the last ten years because they get to them before they are mature ever since the neighborhood folks have been feeding them.:mad: that food has even brought in rats, possums and raccoons we rarely had before. We've tried all the gimmicks, motion activated water and gizmos and electric boundaries ,including trapping literally hundreds over the years and transporting them miles away, all to no avail.
I even tried posting this:
1595454533980.png So far no luck either!

I feel your pain and congratulate you your success in thwarting them (this time). Only about 50% of stuff in our planters and pots rarely make it to maturity and our three filbert trees haven't yielded any nuts the last ten years because they get to them before they are mature ever since the neighborhood folks have been feeding them.:mad: that food has even brought in rats, possums and raccoons we rarely had before. We've tried all the gimmicks, motion activated water and gizmos and electric boundaries ,including trapping literally hundreds over the years and transporting them miles away, all to no avail.
I even tried posting this:
View attachment 726086 So far no luck either!
bubblegum neighbors with the whole peanuts, putting out a bag at a time. We went from only dealing with sky rats to diggers moving in just a year of the feeding commencement. Word moves fast in the beggar population!

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top