JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
From time to time I have considered setting up a derringer of some kind for the specific purpose of dispatching vermin and snakes. We have a .38 snub that can be loaded with shot cartridges, but it is usually load with slugs when I holster carry it. There is also a .410-bore SxS that I sometimes carry in the utility vehicle, but it, naturally, isn't on my person while working.

My experience with derringers has always been spectacularly disappointing. I did, however, see one of those stainless Bond Arms derringer at the farm supply on Tuesday and it looks solidly built. Large for a derringer, but much flatter than a revolver, and would carry easy. And it is in .410-bore, which we keep a supply of.

Anyone have one of these? How does it work out for you? (Note it would only for the dispatching of mice, rats, and snakes, and not defense against two-legged vermin.)

Thanks much.

8FDCAE05-7D65-4FD2-BB75-ABCE8C7177C0.jpeg
Shot my buddy's a couple weekends ago. It bucks like crazy with slugs and 45 LC. Birdshot is not so bad. Personally, if I was in snake country I'd rather a short barreled S&W Gov.
A short barrel Governor is crazy heavy and big (might as well carry a 629) I have looked at the Bonds but they feel crude compared with my American derringer. It rides quite well in my pocket, is smooth, has rounded edges, parts fit well and has replaceable firing pin bushings. A 3" Magnum 410 kicks worse than a 45LC +P but not uncomfortable. Mine has takes numerous snakes and rats in the barn and totally conceales in my jeans pocket. The key to dealing with the recoil is with the factory over thickness grips. They really allow good control that thinner grips would not.

Last Edited:
I have two and really like them. One is a regular carry on hikes/overnighters for just that purpose... or to add a little fresh "somethin somethin" to the pot if the opportunity arises. Where I think they really excel though is in the barrel interchangeability. I have an assortment of barrel lengths and calibers (that you can pick up for around 100-150/ea) so there is a great deal of flexibility in use/purpose. They do weight a bit, but it's still considerably less, when it counts, compared to packing along the G23 and 15rnds or a pea shooter that's generally ill suited for what I need.

Guess I should have added... they are extremely well built little shooters. I took an armorers course on em and was pretty impressed with how solid the inners are. The biggest "con" with them though seems to be that they like to be quite "proprietary". It's quite difficult getting the company to send out parts. They want you to send your BA back to them and charge you a fortune to do any work on them, but they "do" do nice work and generally will do a full rebuild and include any upgrades in the process even if you're only having a new trigger installed (for example).

My oldest.. I've had it around 7 years and never problem 1 with either of them.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top