JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Looking for feedback on a decent body cam for under ~$150. We have a 17 year old adopted foster kid who is becoming increasingly aggressive and making false accusations behind closed doors so I'm looking for a cam I can wear to defuse things before they start and record things for our protection. He'll be asked to leave when he hits 18 in September and we don't know how he'll react to the news and cameras seem to keep him in check. All the cams on Amazon seem about the same except for little differences in user ratings. Not looking for a $500 LE quality cam and something we can get fairly quickly. Thanks

I want an obvious camera on my person as he will follow us around to prolong any conflict. Not so much trying to catch things in the act but just prevent more trouble until he leaves. We have a Simplisafe system with cameras in the house but found out when we needed them to record they weren't working properly. We ended up leaving the privacy shutters open for some reason and he noticed it within 30 minutes without us saying a word so he's very aware when there are cameras around. I just don't want to play like the Simplisafe is recording and then not have it catch something.

Wow - that sucks, I have no idea what the requirements are for foster kids, but I would want them out now, as opposed to September if it is a caustic situation.

Amazon has a great return policy - I'd say buy a few and try them out and return the ones that don't make the cut.

He is adopted and we were hoping to get him through high school but there is nothing left to do for him and nothing left to give. He has fairly severe Reactive Attachment which is an absolute nightmare. He's basically psychologically allergic to close relationships. He's charming and well behaved at others houses but the closer he gets in a relationship the more he rejects any kind of closeness. He basically hurts you so you can't hurt him or leave him first. Since I was the primary attachment when we got him I'm now the person he goes after. It's truly sad to watch him self destruct. It must be horribly lonely to be in his shoes but he's fought any kind of therapy to fix it. He truly believes it's him against the world. He hit that point around 15 where normal kids would start breaking away from their parents and just went off the deep end to wreck the family and have himself removed from the house. He just tries to do it in ways where it's someone else's fault so he doesn't have to be accountable for his own actions. We believe that's one reason he comes after me. My wife is a very flat tempered person and I'm the more volatile one so he tries very hard to get me to do something to him so he can claim abuse and get removed. Sorry to vent so much but this is truly painful after trying so hard for a long time to help him....

I have one that I use during my parenting time exchanges. Going on over a year now with only one issue so far. Hoping it's just a fluke. It's used every other day with videos averaging about 20 minutes and I upload them to my computer once a month and there's plenty of memory left. If the link below doesn't work the brand is called Miufly. I bought it on Amazon.

He is adopted
While you didn't state the age at which you adopted him, I'd suspect it was later than 20 months. The issues and RAD were formed before he came to you.
Sorry you're going through this. BTDT - and I can say it takes a village in this case.
If he's a late adoption, there is a huge rejection / loss issue he's going through and I hope he accepts the hurt he has experienced so he can recognize his own pattern of hurting.
You probably already know all this. For me, it did take a village and mine turned out all right - in fact I'm very proud of my oldest. There were days, though, and at one point I did not speak to my oldest for a year.
Stay strong.

He was 7 when we got him. Removed from home at 2 and had 9 placements between 2 and 7. Tough cookie for sure but we figured every kid needs a chance and he had no other options. He initially had a vague diagnosis of "attachment issues non-specific" I think the state avoided an official RAD diagnosis to get him adopted. Definitely takes a village, they do better around people they're not attached to. Sadly, I think the state did more to damage him than his biomom with that many placements in so short a time. Its true that the road to hell is paved with good intentions...

Ive had good luck with this one (graveyard shift vehicle patrol security guard)

That is a hard spot , someday, someway your sacrifices will reward him with an opportunity to move forward. Hard spot , be stalwart but ready to trade. Good ideas or new ways to get to the same spot are helpful reminders. Camera is a good safeguard but talking about is GREAT.
THERE IS TIME

I feel your pain only too well, as we are in an almost identical situation. Not to share confidential information in this public forum, but please email me stevehx at windstream period net. Perhaps we can help support each other in the coming months.

Its true that the road to hell is paved with good intentions...
True words. Too bad there's not a sobbing tears emojii in the smiley bar.
In our time of involvement with the system, I also noticed the revolving door of social workers - low pay for emotionally devastating work. Social workers, people who handle the misfits and trouble children - for the most part, they are my unsung heros. Mind you, I did see several "foster" families where it was a business, and a very lucrative one at that. Lucrative for them, but much less costly to the state than having the kid in juvy or prison.
One of the break throughs for us: it was close to disruption at 14, we had already had the child in two centers for behavior issues, and I was ready to kill the child myself. Yes, kill. The mother had located the birth family. Child and I took a drive, I said, "things are heading south, badly. You want to try with your birth family for a while?" That set up the slow turn of events which led to a break-through. My kid is a wonderful person. You could always see it, but for some people, there is so much emotional scar tissue, it takes lifetimes to heal.

I THINK ITS LEGAL FOR A CHILD AT AGE 17 TO ASK THE COURTS FOR REMOVAL BY HIS OWN REQEUST-
In Oregon, it's sixteen and called "emancipation." The child has to provide documentation they can support themselves and live on their own. Parents have to sign off on it, and that's not usually hard. The ironic twist to that is you see wealthy families around the nation "emancipating" their kids for the college support that is available for kids like that.

Looking for feedback on a decent body cam for under ~$150. We have a 17 year old adopted foster kid who is becoming increasingly aggressive and making false accusations behind closed doors so I'm looking for a cam I can wear to defuse things before they start and record things for our protection. He'll be asked to leave when he hits 18 in September and we don't know how he'll react to the news and cameras seem to keep him in check. All the cams on Amazon seem about the same except for little differences in user ratings. Not looking for a $500 LE quality cam and something we can get fairly quickly. Thanks
This is the last one I bought several years ago. They are 64G now, the one I have been using is 32. $150 on Amazon which is where I bought the one I am still using.

SAFEVANT 1296P HD Police Body Camera, Multi-Functional Body Worn Camera with 64GB Memory

He is adopted and we were hoping to get him through high school but there is nothing left to do for him and nothing left to give. He has fairly severe Reactive Attachment which is an absolute nightmare. He's basically psychologically allergic to close relationships. He's charming and well behaved at others houses but the closer he gets in a relationship the more he rejects any kind of closeness. He basically hurts you so you can't hurt him or leave him first. Since I was the primary attachment when we got him I'm now the person he goes after. It's truly sad to watch him self destruct. It must be horribly lonely to be in his shoes but he's fought any kind of therapy to fix it. He truly believes it's him against the world. He hit that point around 15 where normal kids would start breaking away from their parents and just went off the deep end to wreck the family and have himself removed from the house. He just tries to do it in ways where it's someone else's fault so he doesn't have to be accountable for his own actions. We believe that's one reason he comes after me. My wife is a very flat tempered person and I'm the more volatile one so he tries very hard to get me to do something to him so he can claim abuse and get removed. Sorry to vent so much but this is truly painful after trying so hard for a long time to help him....

If it is getting to point of wanting cameras to record everything, why not just give him his wish? Contact the state and get your suffering over with sooner than later?

If you are still hell-bent on recording things, why not just buy some $10 T-shirts with pockets in them, and hit "record" on your cell phone and put it in your pocket. The camera eye should be visible over the edge the pocket.

Sorry for what you are going through. I wish you and your wife the best.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top