JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Not soliciting legal advice, but am wondering if a electronically actuated blackpowder muzzleloading "Cellphone gun" is legally defined as a AOW? It came up in conversion with my father and NFA documentation was somewhat opaque on the specific manner.

Not soliciting legal advice, but am wondering if a electronically actuated blackpowder muzzleloading "Cellphone gun" is legally defined as a AOW? It came up in conversion with my father and NFA documentation was somewhat opaque on the specific manner.
I'm far from an expert on muzzleloaders, but last I heard, if it's loaded from the front, and uses black powder, it's not defined by common firearms law. Therefore it can be configured out of the normal. Electric ignition though, beats me.

@AndyinEverson has likely forgotten more on the subject than I know.

Well a quick search was ....useless...:D

In some states if the firearm is not a :
Matchlock...
Wheellock...
Flintlock...
Or
Percussion lock...
Be it made yesterday or 100 + years ago...
Then the gun falls under modern gun rules.

But...
In some states...
If it is a modern made replica , usually a percussion long gun , or cap and ball revolver...But sometimes any modern replica , the gun can fall under modern gun rules....

Then , not to forget some states say it depends on the ignition , if its "enclosed" yet still loads from the muzzle , its a modern gun...
Or if its a "inline" action...
One problem with the "inline" criteria ...is that the wording can be vague and not take into account that the "Inline" action , has been around forever....I have a boxlock flintlock inline pistol circa 1760's and it would be a "modern" gun , in some states , 'cause of the action style.

It all gets sooooo damn confusing when we don't play by the same rules state by state....:confused::D

As a general rule muzzleloaders are exempt from Federal rulings regarding modern guns , or as in the recent case of a suppressed muzzleloading rifle...
Or barrel length rules....they in general do not apply to muzzleloaders...
So I would hazard a guess that the firearm in question would be exempt....except when its not.

As always remember that I am not a lawyer and be sure to check with the laws within your state and local where you reside....
Andy

Here in yUK ANY replica that can shoot a live round is classed as a Section 1 Firearm under the Firearms Act of 1967, 88 and 97, and the possessor MUST be in possession of a Firearms Certificate [aka FAC] authorising purchase BEFORE making said purchase. Even then, the type and calibre must be noted in advance - ie. .44 calibre BLACK POWDER handgun, or .58cal BLACK POWDER rifle/carbine. On purchasing it, the seller fills out the sold box, and issues you with a pro-forma letter for you to countersign and send off to the local county police HQ - they issued you with the FAC in the fust place.

If, on the other tentacle, you have an antique firearm that is either a muzzle-loading OR a cartridge arm, and the calibre is one of the many hundreds that are unobtainable unless you make them yourself, it is classed as a Section 58 [Obsolete calibre] Firearm, and anybody over age 18 can buy one, handgun or rifle.

However, if you want to shoot it, then first you must have it entered on your FAC as a Section 1 Firearm [unless it's a shotgun we are talking about - different kind of license here, NOT a certificate]. Only when it has been authorised on your FAC can you shoot it without fear of a five-year jail sentence.

Most countries in Europe do not require any kind of documentation for a single-shot BP firearm, just an age limit for purchasing it.

tac

If you are talking about a "Remote" firing system, than that is something that I don't believe is legal in WA. It would be a "Set Gun" as in if you had it next to a window to act as a Burglar Alarm. They also aren't legal to Hunt with. You can't set one up around a deer feeder(also not legal in WA) and fire it remotely when a deer or other critter shows up on the remote camera.

If you are talking about a "Remote" firing system, than that is something that I don't believe is legal in WA. It would be a "Set Gun" as in if you had it next to a window to act as a Burglar Alarm. They also aren't legal to Hunt with. You can't set one up around a deer feeder(also not legal in WA) and fire it remotely when a deer or other critter shows up on the remote camera.

Yup, that moves it away from being a 'handheld manually-operated firearm' to 'remotely-controlled lethal device'...

tac

Federally, you are good to go, because for something to be a "firearm" under GCA68 requires fixed ammunition. I also, vaguely, remember someone making something like this, though I haven't found it via the web.

At the state or territorial level, however, as others mentioned, may be another matter.

Essentially the question is does the fact its "muzzle loading" and overrule the fact it would not look like a firearm (normally firearms that don't look like firearms are categorized as AOW). The only real world examples i have seen of something similar was a ill fated attempt called the Koscielski's/AFT "credit card shotgun" and older "key guns" for the 16th to mid 19th century (examples I've seen of the key guns where not listed as NFA items)

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top