JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
LA county covers a large area. I would argue how easy. But I would fight for all my 10 rounds if I lived there.

I wonder if legal carriers have to announce to the police if they are carrying.
Being a smidge facetious here. You can only get a CHL in California if you're filthy rich, fund the progressive sheriff's campaigns, and vote democrat. Take away any of those prerequisites and carry like a republican with your mouth shut and hope you never need to draw your weapon.

Being a smidge facetious here. You can only get a CHL in California if you're filthy rich, fund the progressive sheriff's campaigns, and vote democrat. Take away any of those prerequisites and carry like a republican with your mouth shut and hope you never need to draw your weapon.
Lots of counties in the state are practically shall issue.

Virtually all ethnic food in US is completely unknown in the country or cultures it supposedly came from. Chinese food is a classic example.
If looking for authentic Mexican food when in Salem, try Mercado San Francisco on Lancaster. I personally don't find "authentic" Mexican food all that appetizing, except for the tamales. MSF has good tamales, and cheap too ($1.50 each last time I was there). I usually pick up a dozen of each variety when I am over in that part of town and stick them in the reefer or freezer for later. A word of caution, however: If you get their salsa to go with, stick with the green. The red is super hot.

If looking for authentic Mexican food when in Salem, try Mercado San Francisco on Lancaster. I personally don't find "authentic" Mexican food all that appetizing, except for the tamales. MSF has good tamales, and cheap too ($1.50 each last time I was there). I usually pick up a dozen of each variety when I am over in that part of town and stick them in the reefer or freezer for later. A word of caution, however: If you get their salsa to go with, stick with the green. The red is super hot.

I'll give that a try. I had a six year relationship with a lovely latina so I'm fairly familiar. That doesn't mean I don't like like the US versions of various ethnic foods - it's all good. Heck, her family raved about my version of enchiladas and talked me into making them pretty often.

I can top that! Lonchera La Guadalupana the vinyl wrapped food truck parked at Stuarts Auto Supply on Portland Rd. Been eating off their trucks since 1997. Hands down my favorite Mexican food in the valley. Yes I've hit the two decent sit down (Luis's and Lupitas) options in downtown Woodburn too. My backup cart for Salem is Dalia's down in the Beehive Station pod on the SW corner of S. Commercial and Fabry Rd. I can almost make 3 meals out of there grande burritos. 😋

I know several people in LA county with CCP's. Its not that difficult to get one.
There are lots of areas in LA county that allow CCW permits. There are city permits, and LA county permits but those only go to the rich and well connected.
I would be willing to bet that Santa Monica to Beverly Hills becomes a policing district that issues its own CCW's. If they can afford an up armored SUV, they can afford a police chief that will get them a CCW!
And The LA County Sheriff will allow it because the big money is behind it! DR

BTW, in the USCG most of the cooks were Filipino. I once ate what they were eating... it was Fish-head soup. Very tasty/spicy but very gross sifting the scales out with my teeth and then there were those eyeballs looking at me...
In boot they (the Fillipino cooks) kept serving really spicy foods - it was not appreciated. I think the cooks were a holdover from WWII Navy.

Virtually all ethnic food in US is completely unknown in the country or cultures it supposedly came from. Chinese food is a classic example.
Except Indian food - at least locally here where there is a lot of Indian tech workers. Their home cooked food is almost always better than that at the restaurants though. Most ethnic food here has been Americanized. I had a manager in Seattle who had been to chefs school in Hong Kong and he took us to a Chinese restaurant in the International District in Seattle and it served authentic Chinese food; fish and fowl with the head still on.

When I was doing inspections, I was at the home and biz of a couple of such restaurant owners.... after that, I would never ever eat in those places again. UGH!!

BTW, in the USCG most of the cooks were Filipino. I once ate what they were eating... it was Fish-head soup. Very tasty/spicy but very gross sifting the scales out with my teeth and then there were those eyeballs looking at me...
Old man worked for the maint section, City of Portland. The stuff he was witness to plugging up the sewer drains of these joints would have the most iron-stomached swearing off po fli lice. Claws, hooves, parts, things, that were no part of the stated menu. Backed up drains with workers standing in ankle deep sewage, still chopping their veggies and stirring their sauces, still open for business. Lol.

Lots of counties in the state are practically shall issue.
I don't know the real numbers but I am in my 50s. Through church or family I know a number of SoCal retired cops. Strangely, those that retired and stayed in Southern California, I think all but one has died by stroke or heart attack. Those that moved out of state are doing well.

Something about LA county and most of Southern California. Other areas are less stressful outside of Oakland. IMO.

I don't know the real numbers but I am in my 50s. Through church or family I know a number of SoCal retired cops. Strangely, those that retired and stayed in Southern California, I think all but one has died by stroke or heart attack. Those that moved out of state are doing well.

Something about LA county and most of Southern California. Other areas are less stressful outside of Oakland. IMO.
Most of orthern California is pretty free for CCW issue. Kern County, Fresno county ( Notorious pro issue . Something like 20,000 ) etc and as long as you live or do business in those areas they'll issue a license no matter where you live in state . LA county is huge and the more rural areas issue without a lot of hassle. I know its fun to hate on California and for good reason but some of the hate isnt 100% justified.

Carne Asada and Horchata. The universal language.
Also the breakfast spot is at the Come N Go fuel station on 99E and NE Boones Ferry Rd just north of Gervais. I haven't been in for a while but get there early before their chicarrone burritos sell out. I can't even fathom how many burritos the ladies make on the weekday mornings. Always plan an extra 10 to 15 cause the line can be 25 + deep waiting for the register.

Also the breakfast spot is at the Come N Go fuel station on 99E and NE Boones Ferry Rd just north of Gervais. I haven't been in for a while but get there early before their chicarrone burritos sell out. I can't even fathom how many burritos the ladies make on the weekday mornings. Always plan an extra 10 to 15 cause the line can be 25 + deep waiting for the register.
Horchata is my guide. If I go into a Mexican restaurant and they don't have Horchata I leave.

Horchata is my guide. If I go into a Mexican restaurant and they don't have Horchata I leave.
The glass jug of horchata is right at the end of the hot case at Come N Go. I've never even paid an ounce of attention at Lupana cause I always get Mexican Coke or mandarin Jarritos.

Old man worked for the maint section, City of Portland. The stuff he was witness to plugging up the sewer drains of these joints would have the most iron-stomached swearing off po fli lice. Claws, hooves, parts, things, that were no part of the stated menu. Backed up drains with workers standing in ankle deep sewage, still chopping their veggies and stirring their sauces, still open for business. Lol.
Their homes looked the same. And usually with several families living there.

BTW families living together seems to be coming back with the high rents/mortgage common today. I was recently shocked to see a 2bd home in Bentonville Ark, next to one of my grandkids, sold for near $200k.

Their homes looked the same. And usually with several families living there.

BTW families living together seems to be coming back with the high rents/mortgage common today. I was recently shocked to see a 2bd home in Bentonville Ark, next to one of my grandkids, sold for near $200k.
Wow, spent 3 years at LRAFB. But that was a few decades back.

In boot they (the Fillipino cooks) kept serving really spicy foods - it was not appreciated. I think the cooks were a holdover from WWII Navy.
At the boot on Government Island in 1975 the food was pretty normal. Not that I remember it much, eating was under stress just as much as all other times were. I think I was the only guy ever that lost weight instead of gaining it in boot. Most kids never slowed down enough to eat until they were that age, but I was 23 when I went in... the oldest one could be and still sign up. They made me Recruit Company Commander of Hotel Company, the honor company that did parade drill and presentations.

At the Air Stations the Flip food was normal too. I really loved Lobster Days but a lot of the guys didn't like lobster... more for me. Airsta San Diego was where the Flips were eating fish-head soup.

I never knew why there were so many Flips in the Coast Guard. But I do think it was a leftover from WWII. At the Airstations they were primarily cooks and storekeepers, but I don't know about on board ships or small boat stations. Perhaps it is a way to emigrate, which is still a thing. I see lots of very attractive Filipinas here.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top