JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
As an older woman with bad wrists which results in a weak grip on some days, I can recommend some of the guns I shoot. For small concealed the Sig P238 (.380 acp) and P938 (9mm) are solid little guns. They are steel framed which keeps the recoil negligible. The polymer frames are nice and light, but give no resistance to the recoil. For full size this gal favors a Sig 1911 (.45 acp) in Nickel or Nightmare configuration. The Nickel features a pic rail should want a laser. I'm also very fond of my IMI Jericho 941. It is an older gun that was a police turn in in Israel, imported to the U.S. It's a 9mm and there are 17 rd mags available for it. All of my pistols have night sights. They seem to work better for these older eyes in all different light. I don't have much use for the in between size compact. Mostly because I can conceal my 1911 or my Jericho. Some brands and/or models have easier to manipulate slides. Try many.

Most important advice - Don't buy anything without the person who will be shooting it actually holding it to see if it fits their hand. Remember if you don't like it, you won't practice with it and then it becomes an expensive paper weight.

I know she probably found something by now, but I would add to take a look at the grips. I am small, with small with small hands. As in most of my 7th graders are bigger than I am. I HATED one of my husband's guns, until he changed the grips to something slightly thinner. Fits my hand now, so I can use it.

Personally, I have two Walthers 22 and 9mm and a Beretta Tomcat.

I know she probably found something by now, but I would add to take a look at the grips. I am small, with small with small hands. As in most of my 7th graders are bigger than I am. I HATED one of my husband's guns, until he changed the grips to something slightly thinner. Fits my hand now, so I can use it.

That's a great point! Especially if the gun is a 1911, thin grip panels can be had very easily. I just ran into this with my wife and a full-size 1911 22lr that I bought her for practice. As I've mentioned, my wife is 5'1", 95lbs, has tiny hands and the 9mm Springfield EMP is her nightstand gun. The 22lr is to help her practice more often as the 9mm will wear her out in less than 50 rounds.

The EMP has thinner grip panels and is also shorter front to rear than the a standard 1911 grip, making the trigger reach shorter. The 22lr is a full-size GI 1911 frame, I changed grips and also installed a short reach trigger and now it fits her great.

If thinking 1911, I recommend thin grips and a short reach trigger. :)

Browning 1911-22 or Browning 1911-380---made as 80% sized 1911 for the 100th anniversary, very slim, light, single stack, easy racking, various models even pink.
upload_2017-1-16_12-50-27.png

I have a colleague who routinely carries a G43, and I borrowed it last time we were on the range together.
I found it really difficult to shoot well. I had to take extra time and care to even produce a passable group.
This was not at all what I expected, and though it's possible he's got kind of a lemon, my impression was bad enough to be wary of that model. I'd have to shoot a different one that ran better to change that poor impression.
My normal duty piece is a Glock 21 .45, so I'm pretty used to the trigger on them and recoil in a .380 is not an issue.

My hideout gun and off duty piece is a S&W 638 alloy Bodyguard, and nobody I know considers it to be a fun gun to shoot and is what I consider to be an advanced shooter's gun. Not what I'd recommend for a casual shooter, both because of the short sight radius but the almost non-existent sights and the snappy recoil which gets old really fast.

So my post is more of an un-recommendation than a recommendation. :eek:

I had a G43 for awhile, and it seemed pretty accurate.

IMG_0242.JPG

If it doesn't fit you or your hand it will be hard to hit with.
My wife really likes those Tomcats.
Neat pistol ... just way too small for me.
Glad you like yours.
Andy

It was a Taurus 605 that was just a "little off" to begin with, so changing the grips made it Smurfy for me. :) It was "his" gun not mine, but we like the option of using what is available. We got an extended magazine for the Tomcat, for the same reason. Grip is still a little small, but he doesn't feel like he is using a doll gun with that magazine.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top