JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I like the .32 H&R or .327 Fed Magnum. I got a Ruger SP101 in this and it is pretty decent loaded with 100gr Hornady XTPs and top loads of Titegroup (1200fps). 85gr XTPs are also available. You could try the 60-grain bullets for even lighter recoil but that is probably going overboard. However it's really more a handloading proposition than anything; there is not much selection in stores. I don't think the .32 S&W Long loads are worth a damn.

I like the .32 H&R or .327 Fed Magnum. I got a Ruger SP101 in this and it is pretty decent loaded with 100gr Hornady XTPs and top loads of Titegroup (1200fps). 85gr XTPs are also available. You could try the 60-grain bullets for even lighter recoil but that is probably going overboard. However it's really more a handloading proposition than anything; there is not much selection in stores. I don't think the .32 S&W Long loads are worth a damn.
Most older or non shooters will only go thru a box of shells a year. Maybe 2.
So most factory ammo will be what they buy.
But the 327 may be the perfect round for this application. Most times 2.5 shots are fired

I bought a Walther CCP today for just such an issue for a family member.

Not sure if she'll like it though.

Just put two mags through it, and I don't notice that much difference between the recoil of it an a Kahr PM9 and a G19. Guess she can try each one and see what she likes more. Worst case I will windup with an extra single stack compact 9MM.

The trigger is typical of a striker pistol - lots of creep and a bit of stacking, with three stages. Somewhat light for a striker, but not very good even so. It isn't as bad as a Glock - better than even a 3# Glock trigger IMO - so it is "light", not heavy. If you just pull through, without trying to squeeze the shot off, then it feels even lighter.

The grip is narrow and rounded on the back, which as one person asserted, probably contributes to the felt recoil vs. a double stack Glock.

The slide is easier to rack than either a Glock or Kahr IMO.

If its a home defense gun, why a small one? Why not something like an M&P 9 with the small backstrap. With 17+1, is re-loading even an issue? She could be taught to use body mechanics to rack the slide at the range - but the goal might just be learn to put 4 to the chest, 2 to the head at <5yrds, at least to start.

I personally don't like laser sights. I don't like relying on something that requires a battery and I am just more comfortable with iron sights.

If she finds something at the range she likes, it would be great if she could borrow it for a few weeks and give it a good run. Sometimes it's difficult to know what will work from just shooting
it for a short time.

I have to respectfully disagree about the lasers, Glockgal. I have lasers on the two pistols I carry most often.
Here's my thinking on that subject! I'll pick a scenario, robber in a cafe, herding us into the back room at gun point. I'm going to drop this jackwagon, but I'm at the back of the crowd. I would get my self together and at the right moment reach high, quickly lase the guys head and squeeze it off.
Silly idea? Maybe, but I could do it. 'Course, I keep my lasers zeroed to the POI and check them often! Another reason is the poor, really poor, sights on the LCP! I like being able to co-witness the alleged sights on that pistol. That's about it, I absolutely agree that lasers do not replace the gun sights!!!:) SRG

I have to respectfully disagree about the lasers, Glockgal. I have lasers on the two pistols I carry most often.
Here's my thinking on that subject! I'll pick a scenario, robber in a cafe, herding us into the back room at gun point. I'm going to drop this jackwagon, but I'm at the back of the crowd. I would get my self together and at the right moment reach high, quickly lase the guys head and squeeze it off.
Silly idea? Maybe, but I could do it. 'Course, I keep my lasers zeroed to the POI and check them often! Another reason is the poor, really poor, sights on the LCP! I like being able to co-witness the alleged sights on that pistol. That's about it, I absolutely agree that lasers do not replace the gun sights!!!:) SRG

Not a problem! Lasers are just not for me. I am very accurate with sights and the odds of me being able to reach past the top of the crowd to use a laser are about zero anyway. And as unsteady as that would be for me, I would probably end up shooting the wrong person:eek:
Oh, and get some better sights, lol:)

Not a problem! Lasers are just not for me. I am very accurate with sights and the odds of me being able to reach past the top of the crowd to use a laser are about zero anyway. And as unsteady as that would be for me, I would probably end up shooting the wrong person:eek:
Oh, and get some better sights, lol:)

Yeah, the little Ruger is what it is and has other attributes! Also I learned "Quick Kill" in the Army, so I get buy.
No problem reaching/seeing over folks! Just like having the option, and of course the pistols came with lasers!:D
I hope and pray never to be in a position to even think about attempting such a sketchy shot!

Lots of good suggestions here..Have her check out a Sig P320, 9mm striker fire. My wife has small hands and usually can't manipulate most double stacks however when she held and shot a 320 she was ecstatic "I WANT ONE NOW" was her response which was unusually enthusiastic. It has the best striker action I have ever shot and is accurate as hell. At 7 yards w/o dry firing practice, I put the first two rounds in the same hole!! (ok, the hole was 1/8th of an inch bigger after the second round) A great shooter, comfortable, has three frame sizes to fit any hand (the standard worked well for my wife) and the price is right in there with the Glocks but a lot more gun and I own 3 Glocks..

The SIg P320 is a superb handgun. I have the Compact version and its a tack driver. Sig quality and barely more $ then the gen 4 Glock 19, ( also a pretty good EDC), I love Sigs and the P320 has a better trigger then the 19 and mine came with night sights, not those cheap plastic Glock sights. Two thumbs up

I bought a Walther CCP today for just such an issue for a family member.

Not sure if she'll like it though.

Just put two mags through it, and I don't notice that much difference between the recoil of it an a Kahr PM9 and a G19. Guess she can try each one and see what she likes more. Worst case I will windup with an extra single stack compact 9MM.

The trigger is typical of a striker pistol - lots of creep and a bit of stacking, with three stages. Somewhat light for a striker, but not very good even so. It isn't as bad as a Glock - better than even a 3# Glock trigger IMO - so it is "light", not heavy. If you just pull through, without trying to squeeze the shot off, then it feels even lighter.

The grip is narrow and rounded on the back, which as one person asserted, probably contributes to the felt recoil vs. a double stack Glock.

The slide is easier to rack than either a Glock or Kahr IMO.

Easier to rack slide is supposed to be the big advantage of the CCP. I hear they are a pain to disassemble tho.........

Light small guns are more difficult to control and require more patience to get accurate with. Personally I would reccomend a model 10 smith and wesson 4" barrel. I have trained more than a few small handed folks with one. The grip size is manageable recoil is minimal, ammunition is quite varied with over 20 factory loaded options available once, havent checked lately. No worries about learning controls, just point and shoot. I have seen nightstand revolvers sit until the bullets turn green and still shoot. Effectiveness of the38can be debated, energy levels are on par with most medium sized auto rounds, of course it was used effectively for decades by law enforcement.

This has taken new meaning for me lately as I have recently become more attuned to needing an easy racking/charging choice for a "daily driver" among my preferred choices.

Easiest racking;
Browning 1911-22 Black Label (the very light weight doesn't hurt either)

Easiest charging:
Beretta 86 Cheetah (because it's a tip barrel it doesn't need racking)

Hardest racking:
Beretta 86 Cheetah (wow!)

Too heavy (for now):
Ruger MKIII Hunter target pistol

Four weeks ago I had a stroke, back home 5 days ago and with lots of work and some practice I hope to regain the full use/strength of my right hand and leg. Until then, I plan too exercise that side and continue to experience what it maybe like if Hillary has her way. :)

This is purely observational data, I have a few hand guns ranging in size/power from a Ruger LC9 Pro to a Ruger Blackhawk 45 Colt that I shoot "Ruger only" loads in. So a couple 9's, a couple 40's a couple .357's, a 1911 and a 10mm, you get the idea. Basically some small, some medium and some large. The one gun that most people with smaller hands and slighter stature gravitate to is the 4" GP-100 with 38 +P level loads in it. It's the least complicated to load and unload and easiest to intuitively shoot. A little bit heavy so it feels like a gun but no heavy recoil. All chose to shoot it single action. Because of this in my range bag I pack an extra 100 rounds of the above mentioned target loads. More than once when I get home I've got no loaded .357 ammo left, and have a bunch of the other calibers.

I'll have to second coop44 on his suggestion of a S&W model 10. I'll add the model 15.
He brings up some good points about no slide and grip size.
As to whether or not .38 special is effective in the 158 grain LRN loading , is not really the point , since he wasn't talking about those ( or any ) loads.
They do make several 158 grain non +p rated SJHP and HP loads that would make a good self defense load with a lack of flash or recoil.
One thing to remember when helping someone else in picking a gun is that what you like or works for you may not be the same for them.
Andy

Again I'll point out that what works for you or what you like may or may be the same for someone else.
We can both cite sources where our favorite gun , cartridge or whatever has worked or not worked all day long.
In the end you use what you are comfortable with.
Not kidding myself or you or anyone ...
Andy

Anyway, like I was sayin', shrimp is the fruit of the sea. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. Dey's uh, shrimp-kabobs, shrimp creole, shrimp gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple shrimp,shrimp cocktail, popcorn shrimp, lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp, pepper shrimp, shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp and potatoes, shrimp burger, shrimp sandwich. That- that's about it.

Word,
if you read my post you will see that I suggested 158 grain SJHP OR 158 grain HP not lead round nose ...
Edit to add : I have hunted and shot small game with a .38 special.
It did not fail to do the job in my experience ... Sorry you seem to dislike a good solid cartridge.
Andy

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top