JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Whatever revolver cartridge you shoot best.
I like .357's and .44 magnums but haven't tried anything larger.(yet)
I can shoot both well, and be quick back on target with either.t all comes down to what you like and are comfortable shooting.
I also like .45 Long Colt. I like my revolvers to be double action, the single action guns are still fun but I can reload the double actions faster.(speed loaders or not)

As previously stated... a .357 Magnum (of which I have two different specimens), because you can also shoot .38spl, or a (going to be my next revolver purchase) S&W 460 so you can shoot the GINORMOUSLY powerful .460, or 454 Casull, or even the 45LC if you're feeling all cowboy.

Those are two very versatile platforms, 44mag not withstanding.

It's hard to ague with the versatility of a quality 6" 357. Should be able to find a box of 38's at least most any where. Though what do I know, I got 8 wheel guns. My 629 is the newest so it's what I would open carry, just because I can.
Not true. A 6" is impossible to conceal (gigitty), save perhaps in a shoulder rig under a makinaw.
A 2.5-4" .357 is the best gun, period.

:hide

I vote 357 mag. So many different sizes available. From a 5 shot 'J' frame to a 8 shot 'N' frame. Master a 357
magnum full power loads before moving to a 44 mag. Less expense and easier to learn to shoot well than a 44 mag.
Learn to walk before you can run.;)

I enjoy all my stainless S&W's, I couldn't narrow down the best caliber so over time I got them all!! From my 617 clear up to my 500S&W, just about everything in between (almost, still need to get a 45acp). My favorite to shoot is the 6" 686 with some stout 357's, but a close second is my 629 with some home rolled 240 grainers clicking right along. The 22lr is always fun but not very effective for the OP's purpose.

As many users have mentioned "best" is subjective. BUT.....

A quality .357mag will cover about 99% of any needs found in North America.

Now with that being said:

The 22LR Ruger Wrangler is a barrel of fun

and I've always found 45ACP revolvers to be odd enough to be a hoot

Some folks say that the magnum rounds are too fast, and that anything that ever needs to be done with a handgun can be done with a 255gr bullet at 900 fps. By that measure, perfection was reached 147 years ago. Having picked up an Italian 1873 Peacemaker revolver and shot it quite a bit now, I can say that I wouldn't feel under-gunned in the woods with one. :)

On the other hand, everyone know that a 4" S&W Model 66 in 357 magnum is the very best revolver ever made.

Bigger is always better, so, .44 as the starting point for me! .454 seems to be the most versatile, from powder puff .45 ACP ( with moon clips) to full zoot .454 Casull, I got it all covered just fine!

And, I'm waiting as fast as I can for my new Mateba to get here, so I can make Joe Link Super Jelly! :D:p:D

everyone know that a 4" S&W Model 66 in 357 magnum is the very best revolver ever made.
Well 'best' may be a matter of opinion but my no dash 66 is a work of art.

Fit and finish beyond compare and action & trigger incredible (in all fairness however it HAS had an action and trigger job by the previous owner) but I have a 1942 Victory Smith with a factory trigger and action that is incredible.

There is no doubt a long term opinion the 'K' frame S & W .357s are in fact the 'best' revolvers ever - well, pre Hillary hole models that is.....

66.jpg

Last Edited:
I was partly joking about the Model 66 being the unquestioned champion of the revolver world, but I really do love mine. For overall caliber, weight, balance, and smoothness, it's hard to beat. Now if only they could redesign it to have the legendary durability of a Ruger, I would buy one, and never need another revolver, ever. :)

I've always been a big fan of the .44 Magnum, and the Model 29 particularly. I have no idea how many rounds of .44 mag I've loaded and fired. It is a big gun though, and for packing one around in the woods all day I do prefer a K frame .357.

I like .357, .454 cassul, and 45 colt best. However, pending purpose I think a lot could be best. My personal favorite revolver is a beastly .357 GP100. But I like my other revolvers too. I think we can all agree it is not .50 BMG though

I WILL admit - Ruger SP/SS/GP series revolvers are excellent - I previously owned a GP 100 and it was fantastic. No complaints. I am currently looking for an SP101 in 4" with adjustable sights

For me it would be a toss up between a. 357mag and the underrated .44 special. Whatever you decide it must be something you can actually shoot well when needed. A buddy of mine loves his .454 but I can get off 4-5 quality shots with my G43 by the time he fires twice.

Thanks
James

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews