JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
One for show, one for go and one for OH NO!! I know, not .357, but it's a wheelie.

BlkHwk 357.1.jpg SW 357.jpg 454 Casull.jpg

If you reload the cartridges then any as you can run them as hot or mild as you want.

I currently reload and enjoy all of mine - 357, 44, and 45 colt.

For the 45 I load them all mild. For the others I have full power and bunny fart loads...just depends upon the purpose.

The other thing I like about all of them is I can run them in lever guns for even more velocity out of the same load.

I've owned a handful of revolvers, most chambered for a Magnum cartridge. 357, 41, 44, 500. Heck, I even had a 357 Maximum!
I think the 41 is the very best, but since the rest of the world doesn't, there's very little available for it. Remington started out right with two distinct power levels, but it just never got popular. The Model 69 S&W I had would have been perfect if it had been a 41. (For anyone that reloads, unfortunately)

Availability and flexibility have brought me back to the 357.
The one I have now is a 3" J-Frame. It's a fantastic little fireball.

I agree with every body on here I still think the 357 edges out on top. Some might say well it can't stop a charging Grizzly true but I wouldn't want to depend on a Smith 500, 45-70 or 12 gage either they would stop him eventually but I dont know about in their tracks. Its just the 357 has enough of everything wide power range, amo availability, very compact or hunting mode and very good in a carbin just my thoughts which ain't worth anything if I could have one of everything I would

We should have a "smilie" for the top of such threads that indicate they are just for discussion/spitballin and not that somebody/OP needs/wants the information. But perhaps use of the word "Best" in the thread title should be the tipoff right there!!

My $0.02:

1. I "like" a .357 the best for it's versatility.
2. I "like" my old S&W Model 57 in .41Mag with a 4" barrel best as a neat gun with a fun and effective round.
3. I "like" the .45LC best as a mankiller because the only man I know that has killed two miscreants as a civilian used it.
4. I "like" a .22lr best for plinking or shooting squirrels and snakes and I can have it in a semi-auto pistol or rifle too.

Now, what is "best":
1. 9mm or .45acp
2. 9mm or .40SW
3. .40SW or .45acp
3. 10mm or 38Super
4. 45/70 or 444Marlin
5. .308 or 6.5Swede
6. Lever gun or bolt
7. Best cartridge for deer hunting
8. Best cartridge for elk hunting
9. Best cartridge for varmint hunting
10. Best cartridge for moose hunting