JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Literally no experience. None of my rifles are sighted in other than my 357 LMAO
Is it safe to say you won't reload?

If so, consider the .223 to start. You will learn the art for pennies on the dollar and have more fun.

Then you'll figure out ain't no way you'll shoot well at a thousand yards (holy crap that's a long way) without custom loads.

This advice is worth exactly what you paid for it.

This is where you will answer your question. Not here. National competition shooters.
And that is where I got my 22 br load data.

A more accurate option at the same price point. Just heavier, giving stability at long range for a 3/8" guarantee. My 6.5cm handloads do better than .25" MOA.

I have a buddy with the MPR 6.5cm and he doesn't like it as much as his Browning Hells Canyon. He won't sell however, so don't ask.

I also have a CA Ridgeline 6.5PRC that I dropped into an AI chassis that shoots .42moa; it gained 6lbs as pictured, but it's oh so stable.

Don't be afraid to go heavier if your goal is 1000yd+. I disagree with the 223 comment. It doesn't have the range or BC to support ELR use.

DED55AD4-9C3F-4DDC-BA92-7A8C3432805E.jpeg 215546FC-AEF7-4733-854C-187BAEBAE774.jpeg

No, I wouldn't either with the bullet arriving with 122ft/lbs of energy.
6.5cm goes subsonic at 1500yds. The 6.5PRC does at 1850yds. The 223 does after 650yds.
Um, no. My 75 ELDM load doesn't drop below 1,100 fps until after 1,340 yards. At 1k yards it's doing around 1,495 fps.

Or so.

But again, that's a custom load using a fairly heavy bullet with a .235 G7.

3BFF2374-2ABF-457C-8719-1F9E87C1C9B1.jpeg

And speaking of crosswinds, keep in mind the OP has zero experience shooting at distance. I'm trying to get him to crawl before he walks. Running is years away if he wants to do it right.

P

Is it safe to say you won't reload?

If so, consider the .223 to start. You will learn the art for pennies on the dollar and have more fun.

Then you'll figure out ain't no way you'll shoot well at a thousand yards (holy crap that's a long way) without custom loads.

This advice is worth exactly what you paid for it.
This is a plan. Even if you go for reloading your dream rifle in .338LM, remember that those big bullets alone will cost you more than the same number of FACTORY brand .223 cartridges.

The .338LM can be a killer of a number of things -

1. Your enthusiasm - getting knocked stupid after ten shots gets old fast.

2. Lack of cleared ranges will mean a lot of miles finding one to shoot it.

3. Sheer cost - as a non-reloader, you'll soon tire of totting up the $3.50 every time you squeeze that trigger. Even as a reloader, a pound of powder seems to go nowhere at 85gr per pop, and since there is no point in using lower-grade dies and accoutrements, you can easily lose $1500 just getting into reloading for this mighty cartridge. Remember the raison-d'etre of the .338LM - long range suppression of the BGs, dumping them on their collective asses at 1500m or more. And you have so far only shot a .357Mag revolver?

4. Holding your interest as a noob to shooting long guns, the novelty of the .338LM wears off pretty fast, even if you DO find a range - nobody wants to be within four benches either side of you when you let that baby loose.

Get a LOT of trigger time with people who know what they are at, you'll be grateful in the end.

Last Edited:
Um, no. My 75 ELDM load doesn't drop below 1,100 fps until after 1,340 yards. At 1k yards it's doing around 1,495 fps.

Or so.

But again, that's a custom load using a fairly heavy bullet with a .235 G7.

View attachment 1247663

And speaking of crosswinds, keep in mind the OP has zero experience shooting at distance. I'm trying to get him to crawl before he walks. Running is years away if he wants to do it right.

P

55gr load… 650yds is what it says. I don't know for certain. I've never shot at a chronometer at that distance. I'm sure ELDMs are better made bullets.

Buffalo bore lists the 77gr at 1000yds to transonic, so their are differences to be certain.

Last Edited:
if your not going to reload check out bergara 6.5 creedmore with the chassis Great off the shelf rifle and ammo on the shelf too Get a FFP scope in mils and strelok app for phone an a range finder You'll amaze your friends

I have been putting together a .22BR for distance shooting because it has a smidge more powder than .223 but uses the relatively cheap .223 bullets. Brass is way more expensive though and you have to convert it. (Note: I would reccomend strongly against doing this for anyone else unless they really want to mess with wildcats which is IMO a separate pursuit, for someone with quite a few years reloading behind them. )So even if you do at some point in the future step up in size, its really hard to beat the price on a .223 bullet and practice is the most important part of accuracy IMO.

But my choice is largely based on the fact that once setup I can shoot it almost like a .223 only get a bit more speed. Probably unnecessary entirely in my case.

.223 also has a pretty decent barrel life as well which is a consideration
I'm fairly sure I've seen 6br brass at a few local shops just sitting there.

Looking at the data, looks like you can squeeze up to 30-32 grains of powder behind 75+ pills. Not too shabby.

55gr load… 650yds is what it says. I don't know for certain. I've never shot at a chronometer at that distance. I'm sure ELDMs are better made bullets.

Buffalo bore lists the 77gr at 1000yds to transonic, so their are differences to be certain.
1D08EE8F-235B-4728-A392-55F0504CAA7B.png

Lots of options with the .223

P

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads