JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
<broken link removed>

The Howa company is who offers the kit for $98. Half that cost is the $52 they charge for the magazine too. They only offer them for their SA rifles though.

I'd assume at that price, it's going to be the same or similar material to the one you aren't thrilled with already.

The CDI bottom metal is only $209 which is very reasonable as well. I just don't like that it commits you to AI mags which are extremely overpriced.

CDI's are aluminum. Howa's are polymer. Neither is what I want. I'm going to check with Jim Dubell about making one out of steel. It'll be pricey, but I'll only have to buy one and it will still look good in 20 years.

i bought a remmy 5r earlier this year, best i have shoot it was 1/2 inch grps with some reloads, granted im pretty new to long range, and reloading for accuracy, but uasually i have a .75 - 1 moa rifle. im happy enough, i dont mind the xmark pro trigger, but i do like the savage acu trigger. both are pretty easily adjustable. but the savage is more of a 2 stage.

if i had to do it again, im not sure, i really like the fit and finish of the 5r. but i hear some many good things about the savages.

I just finished a session this morning with my "5-R".

Using a Hornady Match Case, a 175gr Nosler Custom Comp bullet, CCI BR-2 Primer, 44 gr of Varget, and a 2.930" OAL shot a 3/4" group at 300 yards with wind swirling around at 3-5 mph. This is a Long OAL but that's what it took to get the bullet within 0.020" of the lands and it has to be single shot loaded. For Magazine loading I shoot the same bullet with 43.5 gr Varget and 2.800" OAL. Holds consistent 1" groups at 300 yards if I do my part.

I have a total of $1629 invested in my 5-R. Base price was $1050, Scope (Barska 10-40X50 SWAT) $300, Harris Bipod $85, Accushot Monopod, $69 and Timney trigger assy $125.

The Barska Scope was the biggest surprise. Great performance in all lighting conditions for about 1/3 the price of some other "contenders". Have been shooting with it for well over a year and it's held up great. Always returns to 100 yard Zero no matter how much elevation I crank into it for longer distances. The 40X is nice as I don't have to pack a Spotting Scope now.

Lots of other rifles out there and I've shot a few. This is the first for me that has delivered the "out of the box accuracy" that was advertised.

Looks like this one only with the rear "Monopod" instead of a bag.

DSC_5771b.jpg

I simply can't imagine someone putting that much money into a bolt rifle. To each his own I guess. I have a Ruger tang safety dandy that I bought new in about 1974. It will drive nails. I didn't think or know about .308 when I bought it so It's a .270 which is a great caliber.

I'm thinking of buying a Weatherby Vanguard in .308 for $400 from Bi-Mart, and putting about $300 worth of glass on it. I'll be sure to look around at several and look at the targets included to get a nice accurate one. With some hand loads and my chrony, maybe I can improve it.

Sometimes the accuracy of a gun comes down more to the shooter than the gun. I have a couple of friends with real high dollar tacticool rifles, and after they shoot a group, I grab my basic .270 and shoot a group inside of theirs.

To each his own.

Don't disagree with your last paragraph at all. Sometimes though, it is both a matter of will it do the same at ranges over 300 yards? Also, will it shoot those "groups inside theirs" all day long or do you have to let it cool off?

A heavy barrel has it's benefits, one being consistency over a long shooting session.

The rifles most are talking about are far from "High Dollar Tacticool". For those you have to look at custom shop jobs or the Accuracy International AW. Easy to drop $5k for one of those and yes, it's worth it for those that need a rifle that will toss a .338 Lapua Magnum round over 1.5 miles, right into the breadbasket of an Afghani insurgent. .308's are a little more limited but you can buy an M-24 used for around $6k. Similar rifles have recorded kills over 1,000 meters on a regular basis.

In the end it's all a matter of what you need or want.

Been said a few times, but Savage 10 FPC HS Precision. Shoots 1/3 MOA out of box. Took it to Madras this spring with a VX-II on it. Rang the 1200 yard target (24"x24") on second shot.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top