JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have some Berry's 44 mag 240 grain flat point loaded with 23 grains of H110. Not sure what the velocity is as I don't have a chrono but I imagine it's somewhat on the higher end of 44 mag. Shot out of a 16" single shot rifle. Accuracy was super inconsistent at 50 yards. Got a few sequential shots that were touching but for the most part impacts were all over the 8" targets. Had some factory semi jacketed ammo that I used and and it printed pretty consistently. I know on Berry's website it says the maximum velocity is 1850 FPS but do plated bullets have a harder time retaining accuracy at higher velocities?

My guess is that in a 16" barrel you're exceeding the speed limit. Have you tried 'em in a pistol? Wouldn't hurt to run 'em through a chrono just to be sure.
I've been using Berry's in my .40 for years through three different Glocks and haven't had any issues with accuracy or anything else.

H110 is for max velocity, I'd suspect the flat nose out of a long barrel is killing your accuracy.
I would have thought that too but the factory ammo I used was Semi Jacketed flat point and it printed fine. From what I'm reading it seems that for 44 mag weights and velocities, plated bullets need to be treated like lead and a more moderate powder used.

I would have thought that too but the factory ammo I used was Semi Jacketed flat point and it printed fine. From what I'm reading it seems that for 44 mag weights and velocities, plated bullets need to be treated like lead and a more moderate powder used.
Yeah. I wouldn't shoot plates at jacketed velocity.

I don't believe plated bullets are a match for magnum velocities, especially in a 16" barrel. Chances are you are exceeding the maximum velocity for their plated bullets (1250 fps or 1500 fps for thick plated). If you want to run stout loads, invest in some jacketed bullets from Hornady, Nosler, Sierra, Speer or Zero. If you want to use the plated bullets, consider loading them with a milder load with Unique, HP-38, CFE Pistol or Universal.

I don't believe plated bullets are a match for magnum velocities, especially in a 16" barrel. Chances are you are exceeding the maximum velocity for their plated bullets (1250 fps or 1500 fps for thick plated). If you want to run stout loads, invest in some jacketed bullets from Hornady, Nosler, Sierra, Speer or Zero. If you want to use the plated bullets, consider loading them with a milder load with Unique, HP-38, CFE Pistol or Universal.
I'd second that. I loaded up some 240 grain plated flat point or HPs (don't recall for sure) over Unique or Universal. Nice plinking load and accuracy was fine in my carbine 44 mag rifles.

I am using those same bullets with 9.5 gr of Unique, and it shoots nice groups with my Super Blackhawk with 5.5 inch barrel, and out of my Marlin 1895 with 20 inch barrel, I agree with thinking you are above the speed limit. 23 grains of H110 is a stout load.

What is the twist rate? 1 in 38 seams to have issues.
1 in 20 seams better. Might want to slug the bore.
Have heard of some with oversize bore.

Edit
Saami shows .429 groove dia, .417 bore dia for pistol.
.431 groove dia, .424 bore dia for rifle.

Last Edited:
Just guessing here but I would imagine that 23 grains of H110 with 240 grain bullets out of your 16" barrel is probably going over 2000 FPS. Way too fast for accuracy with that bullet construction IMHO.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top