JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I know the Benelli M2 is favored for 3-gun competition, which is why I'm looking to get one. Are there any downsides to using one for hunting?

It's a spendy gun to go hunting with but if you can afford it and not worried about hunting nicks and dings go for it.

Also what are you wanting to hunt ??

Grouse, turkeys, ducks, deer?

I know the Benelli M2 is favored for 3-gun competition, which is why I'm looking to get one. Are there any downsides to using one for hunting?

Hunting shotguns typically have barrels from 26 to 30 inches long. The M2's short 18.5 inch barrel is going to really degrade the velocity of your loads. That's not good, especially if you are shooting steel shot for ducks or geese, which rely heavily on their faster velocity.

Not to mention the much louder muzzle blast that such a short barrel produces with hunting ammo.

Which do you plan to do more of? Go hunting or 3 gun shooting with the shotgun?

Have you looked at Benelli's Vinci shotgun?? Get it with a 26 inch barrel, and you will have a more dual purpose gun.

Plus the Vinci has such a modern module design, that it is really easy to swap out the magazine, and replace the standard factory one with a high cap 10 round mag. That makes it about the ultimate dual purpose shotgun, since it is so easy to swap out magazines.

Last Edited:
Joe13 – I don't know that I'd hunt with it if I got one, but I'd like to know what it's capable of and whether it has any short-comings, in case I want to hunt with it at some point.

Lance Jacobs – barrels for the M2 are available from 18.5" up to 28". I would probably get a 21" or 24" for competition, and get a second barrel that's 26" or 28" for hunting.

I appreciate the input – thanks!

Joe13 – I don't know that I'd hunt with it if I got one, but I'd like to know what it's capable of and whether it has any short-comings, in case I want to hunt with it at some point.

Lance Jacobs – barrels for the M2 are available from 18.5" up to 28". I would probably get a 21" or 24" for competition, and get a second barrel that's 26" or 28" for hunting.

I appreciate the input – thanks!

I was thinking more along the lines that the unique modular design of the Vinci also makes it super easy to swap out different magazines. So you could have a short, low capacity mag for hunting, and then easily swap that one out for one that could hold 8, or even as much as 10 shells ( if you include 3rd party aftermarket magazines ).

Have you looked at the Vinci? It is in the same price range, and it is a more modern design.

Although if one is a traditionalist, the design of the Vinci might turn people off. But is truly is a modular shotgun, and super simple to disassemble and clean. Very easy to swap out different stocks too.

Have you looked at the Vinci? It is in the same price range, and it is a more modern design.

When you first mentioned the Vinci, I thought it was their pump-action shotgun, but a quick glance at their website has straightened that out. I've seen the Vinci design before, and it seems an improvement on the M2's design, so why do 3-Gun competitors still favor the M2?

I was under the impression that anything over about 18" has no impact on velocity. Again, I was under the impression that due to the small powder charges that a shotgun uses.....

Consider a 20" .308 barrel with 40gr of a rifle powder vs a shotgun load of pistol powder.... no flash on .308 so a faster burn will be burned completely..

Longer barrel helps with keeping on target. If you can swing a shorter barrel and keep it from over swinging your target then go for it. I personally prefer a 20" range barrel but you can get excited and lead your target too much.

Before dumping money on a longer barrel, go shoot some trap or skeet with a shorter barrel and see how you do. Keep the longer tube and just plug it for hunting? (Do they do that?)

Remember it's the choke that designates pattern not barrel length. :)

I am not a lawyer and I am not a gun expert. All of the information above is my own and of that it's considered opinion based upon my knowledge.

I was under the impression that anything over about 18" has no impact on velocity. Again, I was under the impression that due to the small powder charges that a shotgun uses.....

Consider a 20" .308 barrel with 40gr of a rifle powder vs a shotgun load of pistol powder.... no flash on .308 so a faster burn will be burned completely..

Longer barrel helps with keeping on target. If you can swing a shorter barrel and keep it from over swinging your target then go for it. I personally prefer a 20" range barrel but you can get excited and lead your target too much.

Before dumping money on a longer barrel, go shoot some trap or skeet with a shorter barrel and see how you do. Keep the longer tube and just plug it for hunting? (Do they do that?)

Remember it's the choke that designates pattern not barrel length. :)

I am not a lawyer and I am not a gun expert. All of the information above is my own and of that it's considered opinion based upon my knowledge.

Yup, mag tube plugs of different sizes are at Walmart or Bimart or the Internet for under $10 so long tubes are great.

I prefer longer barrels for longer shots and moving targets.

It may not make a huge difference if your only running #7or 8 low brass but toss in a 3" high brass magnum and you will get better results with a longer barrel - only from what I have seen.

I do not have any stats to back it up.

Get one without a pistol grip.
24" barrel with removable chokes will get you by just fine for any kind of hunting.
It won't be the best for wing shooting, but it will do.

While not an M2, I have a Benelli M4 with a factory mag tube extension and Carlson breaching choke. While out in the woods shooting, some friends pulled out a thrower and started shooting clays so I stepped up to join them. I held my own (while laughing the whole time) and the only real issue I had was the action wouldn't cycle all the way rearward with target loads so I got lots of FTE clearing practice.

The biggest drawback I see for the M4 as a hunting rig would be the weight when fully loaded. After 45 minutes of clays I felt like I had been swinging an anvil around, especially when compared to my other shotguns. Probably not that big a deal when hunting but you may notice the weight over time and terrain.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top