JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I make jerky in my smoker on a regular basis.

Other than that, I'd eat a flip-flop before any other "shelf-stable" beef.
CCDC4290-C151-43A1-924E-FC582D115552.jpeg

I couldn't help but think of this one ... my father-in-law, who is a burger connoisseur, had a canned cheeseburger whilst in Europe and recommended against it. (His words were "worse than horse meat". Since both me and him have consumed said during our lifetimes, yuck faces were made.)

The claim:
spot.s3.amazonaws.com%2Farchive%2F8713_27010831227.jpg

The reality:

ADIPYWC.jpg

canned-cheeseburger.jpg

run-away.gif

:p

My grotesque digression to continental shenanigans aside, to answer my own question:

• Canned corned beef. Make sandwiches, tacos, with an egg for breakfast, burritos, etc. with said. Most are Argentinian, Australian, and Brazilian corned beef, in roughly that order.
  • Various ground or sliced chunks in cans. Though most aren't the best tasting, they still provide protein, fats, etc.
  • Jerky. Both store bought and home made. One of my brothers makes some truly great jerky.
  • We used to store pemmican, but haven't in some time.
And likely some others I'm forgetting.

My grotesque digression to continental shenanigans aside, to answer my own question:

• Canned corned beef. Make sandwiches, tacos, with an egg for breakfast, burritos, etc. with said. Most are Argentinian, Australian, and Brazilian corned beef, in roughly that order.
And loaded with salt. You can recharge your phone with your tongue after a can of that stuff!

Biltong is making a run these days, it's good for you if done correctly and tastes awesome! Lots of places are starting to carry it, but it's spendy! It's also something you can make your self, same as pemican, and both will keep for a while!

Every now and then I buy a sleeve of the cans of Kirkland roast beef from Costco. It goes in the pantry with the emergency cans of corned beef hash (LIbby's or Mary Kitchen). I also buy up the "pounder" bags of Jack Link's beef strips when it's on sale at the base exchanges. All kept for emergency food stocks, although I'll take a can, bag or so with me when I go on road trips or camping.
Lots of places are starting to carry it, but it's spendy!

Where are you guys seeing biltong?

Canned corned beef cause it can always become hash. Dried beef, in a jar. Great for making creamed dried beef and peas on toast…. Actually stocking more tuna and canned chicken breast. Gotta love Kirkland. And lest not forget things like Deviled Ham and of course Spam…

• Various ground or sliced chunks in cans. Though most aren't the best tasting, they still provide protein, fats, etc.
  • Jerky. Both store bought and home made. One of my brothers makes some truly great jerky.
  • We used to store pemmican, but haven't in some time.
Lakeside pork and beef, respectively, "with juices". Pretty awesome. I got some recently at Morrow Brothers Produce for $2 a can.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top