JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Anyone have any experience with these or similar devices....I have looked up a few companies that do similar...do they work as advertised? Or more like FRS/GMRS radios that promise 25 miles and can only get maybe 2.5 (yes i understand structures, electronic fields, etc).

Beartooth

I'm possibly looking to create a network with neighbors (if they will actually use). Right now some of us are using Baofeng radio set-ups just for FRS comms (antenna on roof or in a tree to get a little extra distance...setting up home-made repeaters, etc ).

I personally dont feel they are better (esp with cost) but would love to hear others ideas breaking away from "normal" comms.

Thanks!

Get your ham radio technician license. I have personally hit repeaters almost 100 miles away on 10 watts. Easily communicate with people all over Oregon and Washington. Let alone Echolink.

If you don't want to pursue the ham route, check out GMRS. You still have to get a license but there is no exam, you can apply online. The FCC recently changed the rules regarding the radios. Midland just came out with the MXT400, which is a 40 watt unit.. combine that with some handheld and you have a cheap and easy network. There are also GMRS repeaters up and running.

I'm also concerned about the fact that your phone has to be on/charged to even use the device. No external antenna so range would probably be affected. It's a cool device, but it relies on another device and an app to work at all.

I'm also concerned about the fact that your phone has to be on/charged to even use the device. No external antenna so range would probably be affected. It's a cool device, but it relies on another device and an app to work at all.

Agree 100%..... Kind of like solar/wind/water/gas power then using an inverter (wasting power) to change it.... to what your setup is like

Agree 100%..... Kind of like solar/wind/water/gas power then using an inverter (wasting power) to change it.... to what your setup is like
Too much dependency on smartphones which have to be charged frequently. Too much can go wrong with any survival mechanism that is tied to a smart phone.

Unless you change your setup....like having a propane refrigerator

I agree with you, but I also know converting your whole life to DC is pretty expensive and you will have to make adjustments.

Propane fridge is nice, but also needs lots of maintenance and tends to eat up parts like thermistors, circuit boards, ignitors and while some get lucky and have a cooling unit last 20 years, most don't and needs a new one every 7-10. Which in most cases is a new fridge starting at about $1200.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top